Recommendations on clip pedals and shoes

Shak180

Feb 10, 2011
Alright so I've put about 150 miles on my bike so far and a couple of my friends that also ride keep telling me I need to get a pair of nice riding shoes and pedals. However I just don't know what to get? I want shoes that I can walk around in comfortably when I bike to the gym so I don't have to carry and extra pair of shoes with me if possible. Also I'd like to keep the total under $200 for pedals and shoes. Thanks in advance :)

Shak, if you go with SPD style pedals you can buy shoes that have the cleats recessed into the sole to allow for easy walking.

However, I've never known of anyone using those type of shoes for a workout at the gym.

Maybe someone else can comment on that issue....

You may want to look into mountain bike shoes and pedals. Mountain bike shoes come in a lot of offerings that look like tennis or hiking shoes. They have resessed cleats so you can walk around easily with them.

Alright after watching some videos on youtube about clipless pedals i am much less confused now. My question now is is there much difference between the 2 bolt mountain bike shoes and pedals vs the 3 bolt road bike shoes and pedals?

Hi Shak180, this is what you should go for ... http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Pedal_Toe_Clip_Set-75-188.html ... then you can use flat sole runners with the pedals and use the same runners at the gym :)

There's a big difference between mountain bike (SPD) pedals/shoes and road bike pedals/shoes. SPD cleats are generally recessing into the sole of the shoe and so walking around is much easier than with road pedals/shoes. Road shoes are super-stiff and the cleats (there are different types depending on the pedal system) protrude from the bottom of the shoe, making you walk funny. I've been out of that particular technology for a few years now, so I don't know all of the variations. I alway liked Look pedals on my road bike as they were easy to get into and out of. However, walking was pretty limited to going out of and into the house (after the ride). the best thing would be for you to go to a bike shop and see the items for yourself. They won't have the cleats installed on the new shoes, but they can show you how they work, etc.

Ordering shoes without trying them is risky... for me at least: shimano and Sidi: too narrow; nashbar or performance: too wide/big at the heels....Pearl izumi and LG: fit me like a glove, so be careful. I think you should go to a shop and try them on, walk on them and test them before you buy.
The pedals are OK and will do the job (they came with my first road bike). Depending on how much you ride though, those pedals have a small platform which may become a problem if you go on long rides (small area to distribute the pressure on you feet) this may cause "hot spots" or sore spots... there are road pedals for SPD cleats available (shimano makes one)
I got rid of my mtb pedals after about 1 year and switched to road pedals...
hope this helps

Originally Posted by rparedes .

Ordering shoes without trying them is risky... for me at least: shimano and Sidi: too narrow; nashbar or performance: too wide/big at the heels....Pearl izumi and LG: fit me like a glove, so be careful. I think you should go to a shop and try them on, walk on them and test them before you buy.
The pedals are OK and will do the job (they came with my first road bike). Depending on how much you ride though, those pedals have a small platform which may become a problem if you go on long rides (small area to distribute the pressure on you feet) this may cause "hot spots" or sore spots... there are road pedals for SPD cleats available (shimano makes one)
I got rid of my mtb pedals after about 1 year and switched to road pedals...
hope this helps
I do see your point about them being a small platform and I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking about getting these pedals now.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_515658_-1

Also you are right about the shoes I'll go to my LBS and buy those there or at least try a few on.

Hello
I have SPD shoes and they are ok to walk with but the metal of the cleats still click on the floor as I walk around. They aren't 100% recessed and stick out a little. At work we have marble floors so I try to sort of walk on my heels so that I don't make marks on the floor. Although you can walk around with them pretty comfortably I don't think I would train with them. I tried that at the gym once and it wasn't too comfy doing squats! Even walking around and it making clicking sounds I feel like a cowboy with spurs!

Originally Posted by SpecializedMok .

Hello
I have SPD shoes and they are ok to walk with but the metal of the cleats still click on the floor as I walk around. They aren't 100% recessed and stick out a little. At work we have marble floors so I try to sort of walk on my heels so that I don't make marks on the floor. Although you can walk around with them pretty comfortably I don't think I would train with them. I tried that at the gym once and it wasn't too comfy doing squats! Even walking around and it making clicking sounds I feel like a cowboy with spurs!
Haha at the cowboy comparison. Yah I'm going to get some road pedals, 3 bolt cleats, and a new backpack so I can carry my other set of shoes around in.

I have a semi related question on shoes I'm hoping to get advise on without having to open a new thread. I'm also in the market for a pair of road shoes and I was told by one shop I should buy a half size larger than my regular shoe size. Does that make sense to anyone?? Is that a common practice with road bike shoes purchases?

Thanks!

Shak180:
The 105 shimano pedals are very good; I have a set on one bike. Just practice the release motion and set the tension to the lowest setting until you get used to them. They are very secure, meaning: it takes a very deliberate motion to un-clip. The release gets smoother after a couple of weeks of use. Make sure the cleats are set correctly so that you don't get sore knees... it's best if you have a stationary trainer or if you go to a shop. The cleats are very comfortable to walk on and won't ruin a wood floor...

Originally Posted by StormTrooper .

I have a semi related question on shoes I'm hoping to get advise on without having to open a new thread. I'm also in the market for a pair of road shoes and I was told by one shop I should buy a half size larger than my regular shoe size. Does that make sense to anyone?? Is that a common practice with road bike shoes purchases?

Thanks!

No.

Your bike shoes should fit you just like any other pair of shoes. You do need to make sure you try them on to be sure they fit properly though, because sizes vary a lot between the different brands of shoes.

Normal shoe buying tips apply when you try on bike shoes; wear the same type socks you'll wear when you ride, shop later in the day if possible because feet tend to swell a bit during the day, always try on both shoes in the pair, etc.

Originally Posted by rparedes .

Shak180:
The 105 shimano pedals are very good; I have a set on one bike. Just practice the release motion and set the tension to the lowest setting until you get used to them. They are very secure, meaning: it takes a very deliberate motion to un-clip. The release gets smoother after a couple of weeks of use. Make sure the cleats are set correctly so that you don't get sore knees... it's best if you have a stationary trainer or if you go to a shop. The cleats are very comfortable to walk on and won't ruin a wood floor...
Cool good to know. The only thing I'm waiting on now to buy is to go try out some shoes. I went to one of my local bike shops and they were freaking expensive. They were selling ultegra pedals for $200 when i see them online for $120 all day. They're cheapest pair of 3 bolt shoes were $130 on top of that I didn't like the way they looked. Sorry for the venting I just hope I have more luck at the next bike shop.

Do you have Performance Bike shop or REI near you? You should be able to get a nice pair for $60-$80 bucks

The great debate on shoes and pedals. Every one has a opinion on what they like. I like the Speedplay Zero's. They are a stomp and go type. A flat surface that can be entered on either side and the float has wide adjustments. There is a reason they are the most used pedal in the Tours. As for using a shoe for both the gym and the bike, It's kinda like using a race horse for plowing fields. Can it be done? Sure. But... Good luck.