recommendations on cyclocross wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lee, May 29, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    I'm building up a cyclocross bike for the fall and need to decide on wheels.

    I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.

    I will also use this bike for winter training, but have a separate pair of road wheels for that use.

    I usually run 28 front, 32 rear spokes, Mavic CXP33 or Open Pro rims.

    For New England cyclocross, do I need beefier rims or more spokes? 32 fr/rear, 36 rear? What's a
    good rim to use (durability, wet braking, etc...)? Open Pros, or the heavier MA3 and similar?

    Thanks!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. TNEWSOME1

    TNEWSOME1 Guest

    I used to dabble in cyclocross until I crashed and broke my collarbone. Anyway I used 28h Sun M19
    tubular rims front and rear with no problem. My front wheel spokes were even DT Revolution 14/17
    gauge. Fornt wheel weight was 660 grams. I hit a rock and did an endo without even knocking the
    wheel out of true (I weigh 175 lbs.) They were plenty strong!

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm building up a cyclocross bike for the fall and need to decide on
    wheels.

    > I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.
    >
    > I will also use this bike for winter training, but have a separate pair of road wheels for
    > that use.
    >
    > I usually run 28 front, 32 rear spokes, Mavic CXP33 or Open Pro rims.
    >
    > For New England cyclocross, do I need beefier rims or more spokes? 32 fr/rear, 36 rear? What's a
    > good rim to use (durability, wet braking, etc...)? Open Pros, or the heavier MA3 and similar?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Lee

  3. Lee-<< the fall and need to decide on wheels.

    I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.

    CXP-22 rims, 32 hole(all they offer), good, heavy-ish not expensive rims...great for cross...

    Or tubies(?) great for low pressure..

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    > Lee-<< the fall and need to decide on wheels.
    >
    > I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.
    >
    > CXP-22 rims, 32 hole(all they offer), good, heavy-ish not expensive rims...great for cross...
    >
    > Or tubies(?) great for low pressure..

    Now there's a thought. The bike came with a set of Shimano wheels and tubular cyclocross tires.
    Hadn't even thought of keeping them.

    I converted all my bikes to clinchers two years ago and never looked back. Guess I *could* use
    this setup :)

    Lee