recommendations on cyclocross wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee

I'm building up a cyclocross bike for the fall and need to decide on wheels.

I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.

I will also use this bike for winter training, but have a separate pair of road wheels for that use.

I usually run 28 front, 32 rear spokes, Mavic CXP33 or Open Pro rims.

For New England cyclocross, do I need beefier rims or more spokes? 32 fr/rear, 36 rear? What's a
good rim to use (durability, wet braking, etc...)? Open Pros, or the heavier MA3 and similar?

Thanks!

Lee

I used to dabble in cyclocross until I crashed and broke my collarbone. Anyway I used 28h Sun M19
tubular rims front and rear with no problem. My front wheel spokes were even DT Revolution 14/17
gauge. Fornt wheel weight was 660 grams. I hit a rock and did an endo without even knocking the
wheel out of true (I weigh 175 lbs.) They were plenty strong!

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm building up a cyclocross bike for the fall and need to decide on
wheels.
>
> I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.
>
> I will also use this bike for winter training, but have a separate pair of road wheels for
> that use.
>
> I usually run 28 front, 32 rear spokes, Mavic CXP33 or Open Pro rims.
>
> For New England cyclocross, do I need beefier rims or more spokes? 32 fr/rear, 36 rear? What's a
> good rim to use (durability, wet braking, etc...)? Open Pros, or the heavier MA3 and similar?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee

Lee-<< the fall and need to decide on wheels.

I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.

CXP-22 rims, 32 hole(all they offer), good, heavy-ish not expensive rims...great for cross...

Or tubies(?) great for low pressure..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lee-<< the fall and need to decide on wheels.
>
> I'm 150 pounds, relatively easy on bikes and wheels, and am just getting into cyclocross.
>
> CXP-22 rims, 32 hole(all they offer), good, heavy-ish not expensive rims...great for cross...
>
> Or tubies(?) great for low pressure..
>
Now there's a thought. The bike came with a set of Shimano wheels and tubular cyclocross tires.
Hadn't even thought of keeping them.

I converted all my bikes to clinchers two years ago and never looked back. Guess I *could* use
this setup :)

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.