Recommendations on Hitch Rack Bike Mount for Mazda3

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sam, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
    Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
    Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
    rack.

    Tags:

  2. Get a roof rack!!!! Hitch racks are a nuisance. I have a Performance
    one and it was a pain. After using the roof rack I'll never go back

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    A roof rack, IMO is more of a pain...mounting and unmounting the bike
    can damage your roof and paint, all it takes is one slip...much more so
    than with a hitch rack.

  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Get a roof rack!!!! Hitch racks are a nuisance. I have a Performance
    > one and it was a pain. After using the roof rack I'll never go back

    But, if a hitch is going to be a pain then I have to scrap the idea all
    together.

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Sam" wrote: But, if a hitch is going to be a pain then I have to scrap
    the idea all together.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I have used a Yakima roof rack on top of a camper shell, a trunk rack on a
    Saturn, and a roof rack on a Subaru Outback. The only thing I ever found to
    be a pain was R & R the front wheels to use skewer mounts. I use a short
    step stool to put the bikes on my Subaru, because I am short, and I the
    mount that leaves the wheels on--holding the bikes by the frame.

    What would REALLY be a pain would be not hauling the bikes. Big Jim, could
    you elaborate on what is troubling about hitch racks? I don't get it.

  6. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
    > Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
    > Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
    > rack.

    I have a Mazda 323, read small, hatchback and I just take off the tires
    and saddle/seat post and it fits nicely in the back hatchback. Of course
    this won't work if you want rear passengers or are filling up for
    vacation but it is good to get somewhere too far to pedal for a starting
    point. It is also idiot proof and theft proof unless someone wants your
    bike bad enough to break into the car.
    Bill Baka

  7. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
    > Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
    > Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
    > rack.

    917 - Thule T2 Bike Hitch 1 1/4 Inch

    As with all hitch racks, remove the rack completely when not in use.
    Even a slight hit on the rear, even in a parking lot, will cause
    extensive damage to a unibody vehicle (almost all cars and small SUVs
    are now unibody). I speak from experience. Impacts to the rack are not
    absorbed by the bumper, they transfer to where the rack is mounted.

  8. Hitch racks are bad because:

    1. When not in use they interfere with hatchback access.
    2. When in use the bike can block taillights
    3. hitch racks allow bike to sway front to back- damages paint on
    car/back
    4. Takes longer to mount/remove.
    5. requires all kinds of bungee to prevent sway.
    6. Not as professional looking

    The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
    wheel.

  9. gds

    gds Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Get a roof rack!!!! Hitch racks are a nuisance. I have a Performance
    > one and it was a pain. After using the roof rack I'll never go back

    My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
    much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
    (now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray. They
    are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the rack.
    Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.

    The rack easily locks in the up or down postion so access to the rear
    of the vehicle takes ~ an extra 5 seconds when the rack is on the
    vehicle.

    If you wish to remove the rack that takes ~3 minutes. I seldom do that
    as I use it several times a week and it is now just a part of my
    vehicle.

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:10:28 -0800, bigjim wrote:

    > The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
    > wheel.

    Most of these have an arm that clamps to the downtube, which can damage
    the paint. Fork mount racks are simple, and very secure.

    Matt O.

  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    gds wrote:
    : [email protected] wrote:
    : My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
    : much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
    : (now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray.
    : They are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the
    : rack. Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.

    This sounds like what I am looking for. Maybe it's just the models I
    have seen but none of these kind of rack can handle or support dual
    suspension bikes.

    I also have a sedan (4 door) not hatch. In addition, the bikes we got
    are not high-end but Costco brand so they are freaken heavy. We did a
    simulation of mounting the bike on the roof and the bikes were very
    heavy and definitely awkward to handle. Too risky to chance damaging the
    new car.

    Me thinks that maybe I should scrap the entire idea?

  12. SMS

    SMS Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
    > wheel.

    Less damage to the bike as well. Try to avoid the fork mount racks if
    possible.

  13. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > gds wrote:
    > : [email protected] wrote:
    > : My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
    > : much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
    > : (now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray.
    > : They are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the
    > : rack. Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.
    >
    > This sounds like what I am looking for. Maybe it's just the models I
    > have seen but none of these kind of rack can handle or support dual
    > suspension bikes.

    This is the Thule rack I recommended, with the trays,
    "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EO6A6K/002-1260102-0422466?v=glance&n=3375251"

    > Me thinks that maybe I should scrap the entire idea?

    Hitch racks are okay. Just take it off the vehicle when not in use.

    There are pros and cons of both types or racks. Lots of people with roof
    racks have driven into the garage with the bikes on the rack!