Recommendations on Hitch Rack Bike Mount for Mazda3

Sam

Guest
Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
rack.

A roof rack, IMO is more of a pain...mounting and unmounting the bike
can damage your roof and paint, all it takes is one slip...much more so
than with a hitch rack.

[email protected] wrote:
> Get a roof rack!!!! Hitch racks are a nuisance. I have a Performance
> one and it was a pain. After using the roof rack I'll never go back

But, if a hitch is going to be a pain then I have to scrap the idea all
together.

"Sam" wrote: But, if a hitch is going to be a pain then I have to scrap
the idea all together.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have used a Yakima roof rack on top of a camper shell, a trunk rack on a
Saturn, and a roof rack on a Subaru Outback. The only thing I ever found to
be a pain was R & R the front wheels to use skewer mounts. I use a short
step stool to put the bikes on my Subaru, because I am short, and I the
mount that leaves the wheels on--holding the bikes by the frame.

What would REALLY be a pain would be not hauling the bikes. Big Jim, could
you elaborate on what is troubling about hitch racks? I don't get it.

Sam wrote:
> Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
> Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
> Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
> rack.

I have a Mazda 323, read small, hatchback and I just take off the tires
and saddle/seat post and it fits nicely in the back hatchback. Of course
this won't work if you want rear passengers or are filling up for
vacation but it is good to get somewhere too far to pedal for a starting
point. It is also idiot proof and theft proof unless someone wants your
bike bad enough to break into the car.
Bill Baka

Sam wrote:
> Does anyone have a hitch rack for their Mazda3? Looking for one for the
> Mazda3 sedan that's easy to use and mount suspension mountain bikes.
> Convenience and ease are very important...basically, an idiot proof
> rack.

917 - Thule T2 Bike Hitch 1 1/4 Inch

As with all hitch racks, remove the rack completely when not in use.
Even a slight hit on the rear, even in a parking lot, will cause
extensive damage to a unibody vehicle (almost all cars and small SUVs
are now unibody). I speak from experience. Impacts to the rack are not
absorbed by the bumper, they transfer to where the rack is mounted.

Hitch racks are bad because:

1. When not in use they interfere with hatchback access.
2. When in use the bike can block taillights
3. hitch racks allow bike to sway front to back- damages paint on
car/back
4. Takes longer to mount/remove.
5. requires all kinds of bungee to prevent sway.
6. Not as professional looking

The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
wheel.

[email protected] wrote:
> Get a roof rack!!!! Hitch racks are a nuisance. I have a Performance
> one and it was a pain. After using the roof rack I'll never go back

My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
(now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray. They
are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the rack.
Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.

The rack easily locks in the up or down postion so access to the rear
of the vehicle takes ~ an extra 5 seconds when the rack is on the
vehicle.

If you wish to remove the rack that takes ~3 minutes. I seldom do that
as I use it several times a week and it is now just a part of my
vehicle.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:10:28 -0800, bigjim wrote:

> The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
> wheel.

Most of these have an arm that clamps to the downtube, which can damage
the paint. Fork mount racks are simple, and very secure.

Matt O.

gds wrote:
: [email protected] wrote:
: My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
: much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
: (now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray.
: They are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the
: rack. Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.

This sounds like what I am looking for. Maybe it's just the models I
have seen but none of these kind of rack can handle or support dual
suspension bikes.

I also have a sedan (4 door) not hatch. In addition, the bikes we got
are not high-end but Costco brand so they are freaken heavy. We did a
simulation of mounting the bike on the roof and the bikes were very
heavy and definitely awkward to handle. Too risky to chance damaging the
new car.

Me thinks that maybe I should scrap the entire idea?

[email protected] wrote:

> The best is the uptight roof mount so there is no removal of front
> wheel.

Less damage to the bike as well. Try to avoid the fork mount racks if
possible.

Sam wrote:
> gds wrote:
> : [email protected] wrote:
> : My experience is just the opposite. I love my hitch rack and find it
> : much more convenient than my old roof rack. I have a Sportworks rack
> : (now owned by Thule). It allows the bikes to be mounted in a tray.
> : They are secure, and no part of the frame touches any part of the
> : rack. Mounting and/or removing a bike takes under 30 seconds.
>
> This sounds like what I am looking for. Maybe it's just the models I
> have seen but none of these kind of rack can handle or support dual
> suspension bikes.

This is the Thule rack I recommended, with the trays,
"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EO6A6K/002-1260102-0422466?v=glance&n=3375251"

> Me thinks that maybe I should scrap the entire idea?

Hitch racks are okay. Just take it off the vehicle when not in use.

There are pros and cons of both types or racks. Lots of people with roof
racks have driven into the garage with the bikes on the rack!