Recommendations on new front derailleur (braze on)

Scott Gordo

Guest
I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.

Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
point in the future.

Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
compact chainrings?

TIA.

Scott

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
>
> Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> point in the future.
>
> Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> compact chainrings?
>
> TIA.
>
> Scott

-- Forgot to mention that I'm currently using a double 53x39 chainring
setup.

Scott

>I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
>
> Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> point in the future.
>
> Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> compact chainrings?

As long as you stay 9-speed, any standard Shimano double road derailleur
should work fine, from Tiagra-up. Many shops might have doubles cheap, if
they were taken off of new bikes converted to triples.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

If the braze-on tab on the frame is positioned for a 53t chainring you may
not be able to lower the derailleur to the correct position for a 50t or
smaller chainring.

news:[email protected]...

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
>
> Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> point in the future.
>
> Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> compact chainrings?
>
> TIA.
>
> Scott

6500 FD, works with standard or compact cranks..do NOT get a 6600(10s)
one, not enough travel..grazie shimano-

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> > The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> > another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> > derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
> >
> > Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> > point in the future.
> >
> > Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> > shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> > compact chainrings?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Scott

> 6500 FD, works with standard or compact cranks..do NOT get a 6600(10s)
> one, not enough travel..grazie shimano-

Is there any compatibility with Campy stuff in this case? Specifically,
could I use a 9 speed, 6500 Ultegra shifter with a 10 speed Campy
derailleur, perhaps Centaur?

Hope I'm not coming off heretical on Xmas....

Scott

>> 6500 FD, works with standard or compact cranks..do NOT get a 6600(10s)
>> one, not enough travel..grazie shimano-

> Is there any compatibility with Campy stuff in this case? Specifically,
> could I use a 9 speed, 6500 Ultegra shifter with a 10 speed Campy
> derailleur, perhaps Centaur?
>
> Hope I'm not coming off heretical on Xmas....

Terribly heretical! :>)

You can use any brand front derailleur with a Campy shifter, but not the
other way around. Campy & Shimano shifters require different amounts of
cable pull, and are designed to be either trimmed manually (Campy) or have a
highly-machined cage that attempts to get around that (Shimano).

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> > > The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> > > another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> > > derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
> > >
> > > Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> > > point in the future.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> > > shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> > > compact chainrings?
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >
> > > Scott

> > 6500 FD, works with standard or compact cranks..do NOT get a 6600(10s)
> > one, not enough travel..grazie shimano-

> Is there any compatibility with Campy stuff in this case? Specifically,
> could I use a 9 speed, 6500 Ultegra shifter with a 10 speed Campy
> derailleur, perhaps Centaur?

Nope, not compatible at all. I've tried same and it just doesn't work.

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
>
> Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> point in the future.
>
> Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> compact chainrings?
>
> TIA.
>
> Scott

I've had excellent luck with a 74xx DA FD (8 speed) shifting a 9 speed
chain over both regular and compact cranks/rings. The cage seems a bit
wider, which means a bit more forgiveness when trimming, and after
dialing in my limit screws, I've never missed a shift.

SYJ

On 28 Dec 2006 08:55:24 -0800, "SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've had excellent luck with a 74xx DA FD (8 speed) shifting a 9 speed
>chain over both regular and compact cranks/rings. The cage seems a bit
>wider, which means a bit more forgiveness when trimming, and after
>dialing in my limit screws, I've never missed a shift.

I agree. My DA 7402 FD shift compact rings the best of any front
derailleur I've tried. I'm using Campy shifters but the shift is
still most effortless with the DA front derailleur.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> > The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> > another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> > derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
> >
> > Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> > point in the future.
> >
> > Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> > shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> > compact chainrings?

> As long as you stay 9-speed, any standard Shimano double road derailleur
> should work fine, from Tiagra-up. Many shops might have doubles cheap, if
> they were taken off of new bikes converted to triples.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

UPDATE:

Okay, forget about the compact. We're going standard 53x39. I'm just
gonna have to drop 40lbs.

In the meantime, I've accumulated and installed an Ultegra 6600 group.

There's still a front derailleur issue, though, as it is a clamp-on
style that doesn't detach. (Some of you may have read about this in
another post.) So I'm sorta back at square one, looking for a good
braze-on derailleur, except now I've dropped the compact idea.

I've been offered a swap for a Ultegra 6500 braze-on front der. I
assume there's a couple mm's difference in the cage width, and that
Shimano bothered to do this with good reason -- snappier shifting.

I've seen some threads from October and earlier where people are trying
out a similar setup, and I'd like to know if there is any new opinions
on the matter. I'm leaning towards a full 6600 setup.

Scott

SYJ wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
> > The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
> > another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
> > derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
> >
> > Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
> > point in the future.
> >
> > Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
> > shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
> > compact chainrings?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Scott

> I've had excellent luck with a 74xx DA FD (8 speed) shifting a 9 speed
> chain over both regular and compact cranks/rings. The cage seems a bit
> wider, which means a bit more forgiveness when trimming, and after
> dialing in my limit screws, I've never missed a shift.
>
> SYJ

Copy to Doug Taylor.....

On 11 Jan 2007 06:14:14 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>SYJ wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:
>> > I just purchased a frame with a braze-on front derailleur attachment.
>> > The plan is to swap my 9 speed ultegra 6500/dura ace parts over from
>> > another bike. It should all work fine, except that my current front
>> > derailleur is clamp-on, so I'm poking around for a new one.
>> >
>> > Simple enough, but part of the plan may be to use compact rings at some
>> > point in the future.
>> >
>> > Any recommendations on a front derailleur that works with Shimano 6500
>> > shifters, attaches via braze-on, and plays nice with both regular and
>> > compact chainrings?
>> >
>> > TIA.
>> >
>> > Scott

>> I've had excellent luck with a 74xx DA FD (8 speed) shifting a 9 speed
>> chain over both regular and compact cranks/rings. The cage seems a bit
>> wider, which means a bit more forgiveness when trimming, and after
>> dialing in my limit screws, I've never missed a shift.
>>
>> SYJ

>Copy to Doug Taylor.....

I believe that the key to the above might be this: DA

You will note that my post extolled the benefit of adding a Dura Ace
shifter to the mix. It made all the difference and I am a firm
believer that the premium price paid for Dura Ace shifters is
justified. For the record, I too have run my compact set up with an 8
speed DA front.

I also stand behind this statement from personal experience, and as
always YMMV:

If you set up with compact and you want flawless and crisp shifting,
get components made for the job. Ultegra + Ultegra will "work," but
if you like your bike to work *well*, I do not believe you will be
satisfied with that combo.

Then again, maybe I really do suck at wrenching (maybe not), but I
sure hit a nerve with Peter :)

Doug Taylor wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2007 06:14:14 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >SYJ wrote:

> >> I've had excellent luck with a 74xx DA FD (8 speed) shifting a 9 speed
> >> chain over both regular and compact cranks/rings. The cage seems a bit
> >> wider, which means a bit more forgiveness when trimming, and after
> >> dialing in my limit screws, I've never missed a shift.
> >>
> >> SYJ

> >Copy to Doug Taylor.....

> I believe that the key to the above might be this: DA
>
> You will note that my post extolled the benefit of adding a Dura Ace
> shifter to the mix. It made all the difference and I am a firm
> believer that the premium price paid for Dura Ace shifters is
> justified. For the record, I too have run my compact set up with an 8
> speed DA front.
>
> I also stand behind this statement from personal experience, and as
> always YMMV:
>
> If you set up with compact and you want flawless and crisp shifting,
> get components made for the job. Ultegra + Ultegra will "work," but
> if you like your bike to work *well*, I do not believe you will be
> satisfied with that combo.

Can't believe that shimano has erred so badly that they let FD shifting
be 'slow and imprecise' with their own R700 compact and standard 6600
FD...never said you sucked at wrenching, altho you certainly DID say
that I give my customers substandard work..which isn't true either.

Doug Taylor wrote:

> Then again, maybe I really do suck at wrenching (maybe not), but I
> sure hit a nerve with Peter :)

Rudeness, disrespect and open hostility tend to do that. HTH ;-P

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:24:29 -0800, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Doug Taylor wrote:
>
>> Then again, maybe I really do suck at wrenching (maybe not), but I
>> sure hit a nerve with Peter :)

>Rudeness, disrespect and open hostility tend to do that. HTH ;-P

I don't suppose the defense of "he started it" holds any weight?

Ok, didn't think so.

I apologize to Peter for being rude - and for making any aspersions
as to his professionalism.

I don't own a bike shop.

I do ride and love bikes, a lot. Like everybody in this forum.

I do my own wrenching.

I have used compact cranks since they became "popular" 3 or 4 seasons
ago, because I'm old and it was cheaper and easier than switching to a
triple.

I have used a HUGE number of front shifter / front derailleur
combinations with FSA cranks/rings to get the shifting just so.

I have 2 bikes, Shimano drive trains, one 10 speed, one 9 speed, both
with FSA 50/34 rings:

9 speed:
Ultegra shifter / Ultegra der. (not good)
Ultegra shifter / DA 8 sp der. (better)
Ultegra shifter / FSA C-16 der. (better)
Dura Ace shifter / DA 8 sp. der. (excellent)
Dura Ace shifter / FSA C-16 der. (perfect)

10 speed:
Dura Ace shifter / FSA C-16 der. (perfect)

I just post my experience for people to look at, accept, reject, or
ignore. FWIW

I don't need Peter to be condescending any more than he needs me to be
rude and obnoxious.

'nuff said.

Doug Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:24:29 -0800, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Doug Taylor wrote:
> >
> >> Then again, maybe I really do suck at wrenching (maybe not), but I
> >> sure hit a nerve with Peter :)

> >Rudeness, disrespect and open hostility tend to do that. HTH ;-P

> I don't suppose the defense of "he started it" holds any weight?
>

> Ok, didn't think so.
>
> I apologize to Peter for being rude - and for making any aspersions
> as to his professionalism.
>
> I don't own a bike shop.
>
> I do ride and love bikes, a lot. Like everybody in this forum.
>
> I do my own wrenching.
>
> I have used compact cranks since they became "popular" 3 or 4 seasons
> ago, because I'm old and it was cheaper and easier than switching to a
> triple.
>
> I have used a HUGE number of front shifter / front derailleur
> combinations with FSA cranks/rings to get the shifting just so.
>
> I have 2 bikes, Shimano drive trains, one 10 speed, one 9 speed, both
> with FSA 50/34 rings:
>
> 9 speed:
> Ultegra shifter / Ultegra der. (not good)
> Ultegra shifter / DA 8 sp der. (better)
> Ultegra shifter / FSA C-16 der. (better)
> Dura Ace shifter / DA 8 sp. der. (excellent)
> Dura Ace shifter / FSA C-16 der. (perfect)
>
> 10 speed:
> Dura Ace shifter / FSA C-16 der. (perfect)
>
> I just post my experience for people to look at, accept, reject, or
> ignore. FWIW
>
> I don't need Peter to be condescending any more than he needs me to be
> rude and obnoxious.
>
> 'nuff said.

Almost, almost.