recommendations on slick mtb tires: what to get?

Bob s.

May 9, 2003
My sister, my wife, and I all have slicks on our mtb bikes, because they are used more on the street than anywhere else. We've had them for years, done week long bike tours, several triathlons have been done on them, etc.
Well, they are all dry-rotted - 6 years on IRC metro kevlar road slicks 26x1.50 have been awesome, but now it's time to replace them. Looking in the nashbar catalog and they are still there, but have been de-rated on psi. Ours are 85-100 psi, the ones in the catalog are max 85psi. What's changed about the tire? Also what are people riding on that they like?
Perfect tire would be a 100psi tire slick or 95% slick. Suggestions?
Thanks for any replies!!!!
--Bob

Bob s. said:
My sister, my wife, and I all have slicks on our mtb bikes, because they are used more on the street than anywhere else. We've had them for years, done week long bike tours, several triathlons have been done on them, etc.
Well, they are all dry-rotted - 6 years on IRC metro kevlar road slicks 26x1.50 have been awesome, but now it's time to replace them. Looking in the nashbar catalog and they are still there, but have been de-rated on psi. Ours are 85-100 psi, the ones in the catalog are max 85psi. What's changed about the tire? Also what are people riding on that they like?
Perfect tire would be a 100psi tire slick or 95% slick. Suggestions?
Thanks for any replies!!!!
--Bob
The ones in the catalog may be the regular ones compared with the Duro (kevlar) version of the metros.

There is a long thread about MTB slicks here that may be useful:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t291662.html

Good ideas, thanks everyone. Upon second look you're right they are duros. I'll take a look at both them and the conte's.
Thanks again everyone!
--Bob