Recommendations on top 3 MTB X-Country FORKS !

Adam-from-SLO

Nov 30, 2003
Hello All,

I'm sure this thread has happened in the past , but I was checking to see what everyone out there can recommend as being the top 3 MTB X-Country 80-85mm travel Forks out there(newer 2002+ models) ??? !!! I'm in the market for one (and LOCK-OUT function sounds like a great feature to have).

Thanks !

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

I'm sure this thread has happened in the past , but I was checking to see what everyone out there can recommend as being the top 3 MTB X-Country 80-85mm travel Forks out there(newer 2002+ models) ??? !!! I'm in the market for one (and LOCK-OUT function sounds like a great feature to have).

Thanks !

Off the top of my head...

Rockshox SID - if you really want light weight, and don't mind some flexing (that would depend on how heavy you are). And has lockout as an option
Manitou Skareb - I ride the platinum, which has the SPV which does an automatic semi-lockout thing. Very happy with it. And stiffer than the SID.
Manitou R7 - their replacement for the skareb - lighter, stiffer, etc.
Fox F80X - Also has a semi-automatic lockout thing. Comes specced on a lot of top-end bikes.

Out of those I've only ridden the SID and the Skareb, and the Skareb wins it for me by a mile.

MidBunchLurker said:
Off the top of my head...

Rockshox SID - if you really want light weight, and don't mind some flexing (that would depend on how heavy you are). And has lockout as an option
Manitou Skareb - I ride the platinum, which has the SPV which does an automatic semi-lockout thing. Very happy with it. And stiffer than the SID.
Manitou R7 - their replacement for the skareb - lighter, stiffer, etc.
Fox F80X - Also has a semi-automatic lockout thing. Comes specced on a lot of top-end bikes.

Out of those I've only ridden the SID and the Skareb, and the Skareb wins it for me by a mile.
ok.. if your crazy about weight i think sid or possibly the skareb although to be honest i think the skareb is **** but everyone else seems to think its good - those 2 if you dont mind a little bit of a flexy fork.

otherwise.. reba, or the fox F80 or F100, i'd go without the X and go for the RL or RLT because i dont think the X works that well.

dont really know much about marzocci, theres not many around here.

i've tryed all these forks but the reba.. well actually ive ridden reba but not for a propper long ride. i'll be getting the trance with the Reba WC once they finally get it sorted out and shipped to NZ.

The Marzocchi Marathon SL is an excellent choice for X-country. It's fairly stiff and you will only notice some flex under very hard stopping or in very steep sections. It's buttery smooth, locks out, has an infinite amount of ajustment. The Scareb and the SID are both good choices. I don't believe they're as sturdy as the Marathon but are slightly lighter. 120mm of travel is not too much for most XC either. The fork really only uses that extra 30mm of travel or so if you happen to hit something really hard or when you're going really fast. Which can come in very handy sometimes.

The Marzocchi Marathon SL is an excellent choice for X-country. It's fairly stiff and you will only notice some flex under very hard stopping or in very steep sections. It's buttery smooth, locks out, has an infinite amount of ajustment. The Scareb and the SID are both good choices. I don't believe they're as sturdy as the Marathon but are slightly lighter. 120mm of travel is not too much for most XC either. The fork really only uses that extra 30mm of travel or so if you happen to hit something really hard or when you're going really fast. Which can come in very handy sometimes.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Thanks !
I race with a Skareb and I love it. The lighter weight of the SID is tempting, but I think I'll stick with the Skareb til I can find a flaw with it :D.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Thanks !
I race with a Skareb and I love it. The lighter weight of the SID is tempting, but I think I'll stick with the Skareb til I can find a flaw with it :D.

if someone is 180ish would a sid race or world cup be too flexy for me?

if so, what's another great fork to put on my new ellsworth truth frame? :D

Thank you everyone for those ideas for me.

After much research.... , and contemplating what I'm getting for the $$... here is what I'm going with:

2005 Marzocchi MX Pro with ETA... 105mm travel- new @ $277 out the door

**I have several reasons for my choice- 1. Marzocchi durability/strength/reliability 2. low cost( its no crazy $400+ for a FOX or Reba.. or SID team/WC... considering how fast fork technology changes.... people who pay that kind of money who are simply novice/master MTB in 2-4 the fork will be last years "old news" ) 3. LOTS of options with this fork.... ETA :) , the ability to go up a hill with ETA set at 75mm travel length(lower front end- center to gravity).... yet still be able to have 25-30mm of travel in case you hit something small while going up hill... your still OK ;) , then at the top of the hill .......... unlock the ETA..... bam your back at 105mm of travel... to BOMB down the trail :D . Also, a balance of having spring rate with AIR sprung fork sounds appealing.... not as light weight as an ALL air fork.... but thats fine.

Sure, some may say the fork weight is too heavey... but thats only if your a weight junkie..... or are unable to sustain pain for long periods of time :eek:

A stoked Adam ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Thank you everyone for those ideas for me.

After much research.... , and contemplating what I'm getting for the $$... here is what I'm going with:

2005 Marzocchi MX Pro with ETA... 105mm travel- new @ $277 out the door
Look around a lot more. I have found the saem fork for $210... its on my xmas list..

triguy98 said:
Look around a lot more. I have found the saem fork for $210... its on my xmas list..

I believe you are refering to the 2005 MX COMP 105mm with ETA for = $209 (yes, I've seen that price online as well). The MX Pro is slightly different in that it has external rebound .... and I believe compression , that the MX Comp does not have externally(has it internally). I was origionally going for the MX Comp. ... but my LBS was unable to price match that $209 ......... but did have the MX Pro at a special price....... its an extra $50 , just double checking with myself to see if that $50 extra is worth it ;)

The Rockshox SIDs are so flexy they are like riding bamboo forks. Do yourself a favor and get a Fox RLTs. There is nothing better.

cheapie said:
if someone is 180ish would a sid race or world cup be too flexy for me?

if so, what's another great fork to put on my new ellsworth truth frame? :D

IronDonut said:
The Rockshox SIDs are so flexy they are like riding bamboo forks. Do yourself a favor and get a Fox RLTs. There is nothing better.

Yes, RLT's are nice(seems as though the 100mm travel is the one to get, considering you can then convert it down to 80mm if you'd like later. If you have a 80 RLT... your stuck at 80mm travel.)........... however, they tend to command big $$. The weight seems nice at 3.5 pounds, and the stiffness of the fork looks great...... but I dont like Fox's lockout function....... as it locks you out at the max travel length setting(ie. 80 or 100mm), and cannot be adjusted down like Marzocchi's ETA .

Ammendment/ revision on the Fork purchase.
I ended up deciding on a 2005 Marzocchi Marathon XC(105 or 120mm travel, external rebound, ETA(MORE adjustable then Fox's lockout function) :) , and TST(its a 5 way adjustable compression that adapts to different terrain changes... climbing, all mountain, or DH). Also, the 30mm sanctions/ and single piece monolight legs should be more then enough stiffness for my 155 lbs - not too agreassive rider frame. The other trickness of this fork, over the MX comp/pro .... is that the adjusters(ETA, TST, and external rebound + fork travel) are all metal- bombproof ............. not plastic. I ended up paying an additional $130 over the MX Pro - so $400 (that was my absolute max I was willing to pay on a nice/new fork.... and I should/hope to be riding it 5++ years from now.. and not having to upgrade anytime in the near future).

Basically, when researching forks.... and asking multiple questions around... no one really told me this info. directly... but put it together after thinking about it, but I'll share it here... this is priceless info : When paying/shopping for a fork... you mainly pay for 3 things - 1. Adjustability(ie. external rebound, compression, and possible lockout /ETA features, and possible travel length . 2. Weight :eek: 3. Durability (this is not so much a advertised " our forks our way bomb-proof then our competitions forks" , per say ............ however ask around, and you come to find the most bomb-proof /durable forks tend to be - in terms of manufacture- Marzocchi - and Fox . Fox is mainly all Air sprung... and seems as though there air seals dont hold up that long... then owners must upgrade to an aftermarket seal. Also, it can be true that the lighter the fork..... the less durable the fork can be(ie. the 3 pound.. or sub- 3 pound forks legs / sanctions tend seem to be a bit noodly. IMO, those forks are ment for racing.... with a sub 180 lbs person using them , not an aggressive/ heavier rider( 180/ 200+ lbs person).

Cannot wait till I start riding it in about 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It seems like everyone I know with the Fox forks has the same issue, the right leg leaks oil. The real selling feature of the fork is it's stiffness. Whereas the super light Rockshox felt like they were made of bamboo the Fox is solid.

I only use the fork lockout for race starts and long road sections. So lock out at max is cool with me. I'm not sure I wouldn't screw up a more complicated locking mech. I usually need to keep things kinda simple. Esp on a race rig. After about 15 minutes at race pace I'm not working with a whole lot of brain power.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Yes, RLT's are nice(seems as though the 100mm travel is the one to get, considering you can then convert it down to 80mm if you'd like later. If you have a 80 RLT... your stuck at 80mm travel.)........... however, they tend to command big $$. The weight seems nice at 3.5 pounds, and the stiffness of the fork looks great...... but I dont like Fox's lockout function....... as it locks you out at the max travel length setting(ie. 80 or 100mm), and cannot be adjusted down like Marzocchi's ETA .

First time on and looking for Forks. Thank's team, cant stay and chat as I'm off to buy some Marzocchi:)

Adam-from-SLO said:
I believe you are refering to the 2005 MX COMP 105mm with ETA for = $209 (yes, I've seen that price online as well). The MX Pro is slightly different in that it has external rebound .... and I believe compression , that the MX Comp does not have externally(has it internally). I was origionally going for the MX Comp. ... but my LBS was unable to price match that $209 ......... but did have the MX Pro at a special price....... its an extra $50 , just double checking with myself to see if that $50 extra is worth it ;)

EDIT: There is no external/ or internal compression adjustment on the MX Comp or Pro w/ETA . Again, this is ANOTHER adjustment feature..... that you have to pay extra for if you want it. Personally, I justified going with this compression feature on the Marathon XC ...... do to how much more I was spending(extra $130 vs. MX Pro w/ETA).. which was the main selling point + metal adjuster knobs.

The MX Pro/Comp ..... and Marathon XC are Hybrid forks 1/2 coil- 1/2 air(a bit heavier then a ALL air fork.... but I would rather not rely on 100% air ) 1/2 Coil spring(in left leg ... which is also were the ETA function is activated at top) + on Marathon XC- on bottom is where the travel adjustment is 105-120mm). 1/2 air sprung in the right leg( this is where the air pump is used to give the fork positive air pressure + where the external rebound is-bottom of the leg).... on the Marathon XC the TST external compression is on the top right leg. ;)