Recommendations on Touring bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Lydon, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Paul Lydon

    Paul Lydon Guest

    Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
    --
    Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

    Tags:

  2. Dawes Galaxy. You can get'em cheap from the Bike Shed Crediton. Look them up on the net.

    They are built like a brick shithouse.

  3. Greetings,

    If you want your £700 to include change, and kit like lights etc., try the Edinburgh Country. All
    the reviews have been positive, and a friend of mine swears by it, commuting daily and having done a
    couple of coast-to-coasts on
    it.

    i.t.A.A.

    SPENNY

    "Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
    > --
    > Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

  4. Tornado

    Tornado Guest

    Dawes Galaxy. I have had mine for about 18 years and I still love it. I don't know how many
    thousands of miles it has done. "Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
    > --
    > Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

    <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Spencer Bullen
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >If you want your £700 to include change, and kit like lights etc., try the Edinburgh Country. All
    >the reviews have been positive, and a friend of mine swears by it, commuting daily and having done
    >a couple of coast-to-coasts on
    >it.

    IIRC, the Edinburgh Country is pretty much a Dawes Horizon. FWIW, I've been v.happy with the horizon
    I bought a year or two ago for the daily commute to work...

    Replace the fat tires with something thinner if you do get one though. Schwalbe Marathons in my
    case, but take your pick. Oh, and replace the QRs with something marginally more secure -- QRs are
    that bit too easy to remove for my liking if you're going to leave your bike anywhere publically
    accessible. I suppose a lock with multiple cables to go round each wheel would be an alternative.

    Phil

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?

    You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
    benchmark after more than 30 years.

    My server is going offline for a couple of hours this arbo, but there's a PDF of the review in Cycle
    attached to this page: <http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/superg> (warning:
    large!). Chris Juden says it all, really.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  7. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
    > benchmark after more than 30 years.

    I paid over £1100 for the previous generation Thorn Nomad. Unless their quality control has improved
    since then, forget it if you're buying mail order. The paint finish is very rough, the front mech
    appears to be the wrong clamp size, the LX bottom bracket [1] lasted 70 miles then seized, the front
    brake hanger wasn't deep drop so the cable was bent with a *very* tight radius [2] and it had
    suffered an almighty kick in transit
    - the rear rack was bent beyond repair. SJSC replaced the rack with no quibbles but the BB seized
    six weeks later (I caught the worst 'flu I've ever had just after taking delivery so didn't ride
    it for a while) and I couldn't face paying postage to return such a heavy item. Likewise, the
    hassle involved with returning the entire bike because of the paint finish was too much. The bike
    is OK apart from those faults, and at some stage it will get a respray anyway, but at that price
    it's unacceptable. If you can pick up a bike in person from Bridgwater this would be worth
    considering, as it's easier to reject a lemon. I should have done this - it's would only have cost
    me £10 in petrol.

    [1] I replaced it with an XT BB which has been fine ever since - oddly, SJSC now make a point of
    saying they don't skimp on "hidden" components like the BB. Maybe they've changed policy since I
    got mine, because the rest of the kit is XT and only the BB was LX!

    [2] again, now replaced with a more sensible design of hanger.

  8. Malk

    Malk Guest

    Paul Lydon wrote:
    > Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
    Noticed this at Edinburgh bike: http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/item.cfm?ID=2845 I got
    this model in evans sale in the early summer and have been delighted with it, like cycling on a
    luxurious sofa (compared to a road/race bike) Malk

  9. Paul Lydon

    Paul Lydon Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:35:18 +0100, Paul Lydon <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?

    Thanks for all the replies!

    Just to let you know - I've ordered a Dawes Galaxy from The Bike Shed in Crediton.

    --
    Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but
    IMO
    > > the Galaxy is still the benchmark after more than 30 years.

    > I paid over £1100 for the previous generation Thorn Nomad. Unless their quality control has
    > improved since then, forget it if you're buying mail order.

    We have a Thorn Me'n'U2 which has been excellent. The bikes I saw at Bridgewater all loked good;
    maybe they have improved or maybe you got a rogue one.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  11. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Guy wrote:
    > > > You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but
    > IMO
    > > > the Galaxy is still the benchmark after more than 30 years.
    >
    >I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago but the wheels Dawes
    are fitting now are not up to the job. You will break spokes with the modern editions and Dawes will
    not want to know if you complain. A friend an I were left with no option but to rebuild our wheels
    after multiple spoke breakages on 2 bikes 2000 vintage.

    Cliff Griffiths

  12. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]o.uk>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
    >
    >You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
    >benchmark after more than 30 years.

    I love my FW Evans, now about 16 years old. It was the bike of choice for Fat Man on a Bicycle, but
    it seems Evans don't make bikes anymore.

    I've never actually toured on it though...

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  13. anderson

    anderson New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    You could try a Paul Hewitt Cheviot @£799 or the Cheviot SE @£999.

    I've got the Cheviot, which incidently was Cycling Plus touring
    bike of 2002.

    Michael Anderson
    Cheltenham.