Recommendations on Touring bike

Paul Lydon

Guest
Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
--
Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

Dawes Galaxy. You can get'em cheap from the Bike Shed Crediton. Look them up on the net.

They are built like a brick shithouse.

Greetings,

If you want your £700 to include change, and kit like lights etc., try the Edinburgh Country. All
the reviews have been positive, and a friend of mine swears by it, commuting daily and having done a
couple of coast-to-coasts on
it.

i.t.A.A.

SPENNY

"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
> --
> Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

Dawes Galaxy. I have had mine for about 18 years and I still love it. I don't know how many
thousands of miles it has done. "Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
> --
> Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

In article <[email protected]>, Spencer Bullen
<[email protected]> wrote:
>If you want your £700 to include change, and kit like lights etc., try the Edinburgh Country. All
>the reviews have been positive, and a friend of mine swears by it, commuting daily and having done
>a couple of coast-to-coasts on
>it.

IIRC, the Edinburgh Country is pretty much a Dawes Horizon. FWIW, I've been v.happy with the horizon
I bought a year or two ago for the daily commute to work...

Replace the fat tires with something thinner if you do get one though. Schwalbe Marathons in my
case, but take your pick. Oh, and replace the QRs with something marginally more secure -- QRs are
that bit too easy to remove for my liking if you're going to leave your bike anywhere publically
accessible. I suppose a lock with multiple cables to go round each wheel would be an alternative.

Phil

"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?

You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
benchmark after more than 30 years.

My server is going offline for a couple of hours this arbo, but there's a PDF of the review in Cycle
attached to this page: <http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/superg> (warning:
large!). Chris Juden says it all, really.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
> benchmark after more than 30 years.

I paid over £1100 for the previous generation Thorn Nomad. Unless their quality control has improved
since then, forget it if you're buying mail order. The paint finish is very rough, the front mech
appears to be the wrong clamp size, the LX bottom bracket [1] lasted 70 miles then seized, the front
brake hanger wasn't deep drop so the cable was bent with a *very* tight radius [2] and it had
suffered an almighty kick in transit
- the rear rack was bent beyond repair. SJSC replaced the rack with no quibbles but the BB seized
six weeks later (I caught the worst 'flu I've ever had just after taking delivery so didn't ride
it for a while) and I couldn't face paying postage to return such a heavy item. Likewise, the
hassle involved with returning the entire bike because of the paint finish was too much. The bike
is OK apart from those faults, and at some stage it will get a respray anyway, but at that price
it's unacceptable. If you can pick up a bike in person from Bridgwater this would be worth
considering, as it's easier to reject a lemon. I should have done this - it's would only have cost
me £10 in petrol.

[1] I replaced it with an XT BB which has been fine ever since - oddly, SJSC now make a point of
saying they don't skimp on "hidden" components like the BB. Maybe they've changed policy since I
got mine, because the rest of the kit is XT and only the BB was LX!

[2] again, now replaced with a more sensible design of hanger.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:35:18 +0100, Paul Lydon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?

Thanks for all the replies!

Just to let you know - I've ordered a Dawes Galaxy from The Bike Shed in Crediton.

--

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but
IMO
> > the Galaxy is still the benchmark after more than 30 years.

> I paid over £1100 for the previous generation Thorn Nomad. Unless their quality control has
> improved since then, forget it if you're buying mail order.

We have a Thorn Me'n'U2 which has been excellent. The bikes I saw at Bridgewater all loked good;
maybe they have improved or maybe you got a rogue one.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Guy wrote:
> > > You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but
> IMO
> > > the Galaxy is still the benchmark after more than 30 years.
>
>I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago but the wheels Dawes
are fitting now are not up to the job. You will break spokes with the modern editions and Dawes will
not want to know if you complain. A friend an I were left with no option but to rebuild our wheels
after multiple spoke breakages on 2 bikes 2000 vintage.

Cliff Griffiths

In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Any recommendations on good touring bikes around the £700 mark?
>
>You can't go far wrong with a Dawes Galaxy. Thorn are good, too, but IMO the Galaxy is still the
>benchmark after more than 30 years.

I love my FW Evans, now about 16 years old. It was the bike of choice for Fat Man on a Bicycle, but
it seems Evans don't make bikes anymore.

I've never actually toured on it though...

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

You could try a Paul Hewitt Cheviot @£799 or the Cheviot SE @£999.

I've got the Cheviot, which incidently was Cycling Plus touring
bike of 2002.

Michael Anderson
Cheltenham.