Recommendations re: using decals on frame or handpainting?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Batgirl77, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Batgirl77

Batgirl77 New Member

I am new (again) to cycling after many years, so I bought a basic thumper to get me around for the first few months. If I find that I'm still having fun and riding it then I'll reward myself and splurge on a new bike in the Spring.

In the meantime I have a blank slate, solid frame (aqua blue) and I want to play around with decorating it because I CAN! :D

I like the style of the Electra bikes with the Hawaiian themes, and I've seen a few decals on bikes that were parked..but no owners were around to get info from. I also saw some Curious George stickers on a bike-that would be fun!

Electra actually sells a few decal kits, and I found a few other websites that sell the Hawaiian themed flowers, etc. But most of them are pretty big...I think too big to decorate a bike with. I need some sources and am surprised to find so little on the web.

I've also considered handpainting it. Has anyone here done anything like that?

I'd love any/all suggestions about working with decals, sources for decals, handpainting advice, etc. Also, should I apply some sort of a sealant or ? after I paint or apply the decals?

Thanks much!

Bett

Tags:

2. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

This might just be the stupidest idea ever, but I'll post it anyway! Buy the decals you want from a website. Plonk'em on a scanner (if you have one), transfer the image into a paint/photo editing program and stretch/shrink/flip or whatever to fit your tubes and then print them onto self-adhesive vinyl, cut them out and s l o w l y stick'em on yur bike, to prevent air bubbles and so on. This bit, I'm sure of. Spray clear laquer over them and it'll prevent rain washing them off and give a bit of protection from scratches and so on. You never know, it might just be crazy enough to actually work!!!

3. huhenio

huhenio New Member

I bet that must be a pinstripping artist somewhere in the yellow pages.

4. FELTF10

FELTF10 New Member

The scanner thing does work well according to a friend of mine who put Beatty Boop on a frame for his girl. I'm having a frame done right now with various things from the Phila. Eagles by an airbrush artist, He's also doing my name on my Felt-F10R, of course if he screws it up I'll have to kill him. Airbrush is the way to go if you want that custom look, but it can be very expensive, cost me $45.00 for a saddle once.

5. Batgirl77

Batgirl77 New Member

Thanks for the ideas, y'all.

Shanon's Dad- that is not a stupid idea. I'd read about something similar and considered it, but didn't feel confident to try it. Don't know if my inkjet printer is the right one to use though, so maybe a trip to Kinko's would be a good idea.

huhenio, good thought. I did locate a few fairly local pinstripe artisits on the web, and I found pinstripe 'kits' too. If it's done right pinstriping can be beautiful, but I have this weird craving for making a silly bike since I haven't had one since I was 10, and I do like the idea of doing it myself.

:D

There are some absolutely beautiful (and expensive) paintjobs out there, no doubt about it. I found a few bike airbrush sites while I was searching for decal stuff...really amazing work.

I also found this site for Leni Fried- she is an artist who handpaints bikes. pretty cool stuff:
    http://www.titaniumarts.com/pages/bikeart/bikeart.html?content=1#

Of couse I don't have her skills, or her base paint to work with. I'm working with a funky stock paint job so I won't care too much if it doesn't turn out perfect, because I'm not attached to it.

Looks like the scanner might be the ticket. Thanks again!