recommended motorcycle chain lube?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by damyth, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. damyth

    damyth Guest

    Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube (at this stage
    in my experiments) other than motocycle chain lube.

    I just want to find a *motorcycle* chain lube that works well on (mtn)
    bicycle chains. My prior (and first) experience with something called
    "Maxima Chain Wax"
    (http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp) has been a
    disappointment. The chain chirps, and it's not because I didn't put on
    enough of the stuff. And In case you're wondering, after cleaning I
    did warm up the bike chain in the oven (400F for about 10 minutes) so I
    applied the lube more or less per the manufacturers instructions.

    Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    recommendations.

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    damyth wrote -

    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    Have had good results from chain saw oil; inexpensive and one small bottle
    lasts a LONG time - put it into a bottle with a long thin applicator to get
    enough but not too much lubricant on the chain links is part of the trick.

    Chains get filthy pretty quickly and keeping the drive train clean and
    rolling freely seems to me to be more important than the particular
    lubricant you choose - not sure that cycling specific lubricants justify the
    prices asked for them either.

    Contrary to what Castrol would have you believe, in cycling oils is oils.

    best, Andrew

  3. sunderland

    sunderland Guest

    Modern motorcycle chains have grease sealed inside, with little O-rings
    on each link to keep it sealed. They are basically lubed for life -
    they'll run 20,000 km without any issues. So most motorbike chain lubes
    simply keep the outside clean, and stop the O-rings from drying out; so
    they aren't suited for bicycle chains. (Best one I know of is Tri-Flow,
    which works on bicycle chains but attracts too much dirt and grit).

    Motorcycle chain lubes are also far messier than you'd like. I think
    you'd be much happier with a decent bicycle-specific chain lube, like
    ProGold.

  4. On 11 Dec 2005 23:36:02 -0800, "damyth"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    >looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube (at this stage
    >in my experiments) other than motocycle chain lube.
    >
    >I just want to find a *motorcycle* chain lube that works well on (mtn)
    >bicycle chains. My prior (and first) experience with something called
    >"Maxima Chain Wax"
    >(http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp) has been a
    >disappointment. The chain chirps, and it's not because I didn't put on
    >enough of the stuff. And In case you're wondering, after cleaning I
    >did warm up the bike chain in the oven (400F for about 10 minutes) so I
    >applied the lube more or less per the manufacturers instructions.
    >
    >Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    >chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    >recommendations.

    I tried motorcycle chain lube for a while on two police bicycles I was
    responsible for, eventually gave it up as the lube was attracting way
    too much grit and dirt. As a short term lubrication solution it might
    work, but for the long term a motorcycle chain lube probably does more
    damage to the bicycle than it is worth.

  5. LF

    LF Guest

    I like chainshaw lube. It's thick, like Phil's tenacious. I cut it
    with white gas (coleman stove fuel) in the hopes that it will flow down
    into the pins, the white gas will evaporate, leaving the chainsaw lube
    where it will do the most good. I follow Sheldon's advice of lightly
    lubing the inner pin, and letting it flow to where it will do some
    good. Usually I only lube clean chanins, and after the first ride wipe
    the residue off of the chain.

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    >chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    >recommendations.

    When I resumed biking after many years off the saddle, I had a little
    stash of chain lubes from my days of working on motorcycles, and I
    quickly discovered that they all left something to be desired. The
    heavier-bodied ones stuck to the chain quite well, but *everything*
    stuck to them, and the freewheel quickly became a lump of crud with
    teeth. The lighter-bodied ones did no better of a job than ordinary
    motor oil. I didn't try any motorcycle-oriented wax-based chain
    lubes, as I hadn't been impressed with them back in the days when my
    interest was more direct...and my only foray into wax-based bike chain
    lube was not cause for jubilation.

    Although I don't use motorcycle chain lubes (or expensive bike chain
    lubes, for that matter) primarily because I feel no need to spend more
    than the price of ordinary motor oil to lube my chain, I would
    recommend staying away from the extra-thick types, and I would favor
    the ones that aren't already the color of dark chocolate when they are
    applied. One of my criteria for a chain lube is that if at all
    possible, its staining potential should be fairly low. Road dirt will
    always get picked up by any wet lube, but my experience with the dry
    lubes has been that they offer far less lubrication for the dollar in
    the bargain. As a result, I have resigned myself to putting up with
    the occasional chain stripe on a sock. (This is one reason to wear
    black socks in the summer when riding.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  7. tspoon

    tspoon Guest

    damyth wrote:
    > Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    > looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube (at this stage
    > in my experiments) other than motocycle chain lube.
    >
    > I just want to find a *motorcycle* chain lube that works well on (mtn)
    > bicycle chains. My prior (and first) experience with something called
    > "Maxima Chain Wax"
    > (http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp) has been a
    > disappointment. The chain chirps, and it's not because I didn't put on
    > enough of the stuff. And In case you're wondering, after cleaning I
    > did warm up the bike chain in the oven (400F for about 10 minutes) so I
    > applied the lube more or less per the manufacturers instructions.
    >
    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    CRC make a chain lube, although it's more for industrial chains than
    specifically motorbike chains. I haven't used it on my bicycle but it
    more or less suffers from the ailments described here by others - i.e. a
    bit too sticky. Would offer godd lubrication to the drivetrain at the
    cost of more cleaning required. I use a wet lube every 250k or so
    personally, wiping of excess etc.

  8. Steve knight

    Steve knight Guest

    >Motorcycle chain lubes are also far messier than you'd like. I think
    >you'd be much happier with a decent bicycle-specific chain lube, like
    >ProGold.

    depends on the lube. honda's chain lube in a red can is pretty good.
    it is one of the driest lubes I have found. though it is clear and
    thin as water it takes a couple applications to last in any rain. the
    little dirt it does attract takes work to come off so it does not end
    up on your leg.
    they have a longer lasting version in the blue can though it attracts
    more dirt. more like most lubes.
    Knight-Toolworks
    http://www.knight-toolworks.com
    affordable handmade wooden planes

  9. SMS

    SMS Guest

    damyth wrote:

    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    I use Maxima Chain Guard (not Chain Wax). The key advantage of a product
    like this is that it penetrates into the chain, without the need to soak
    the chain in the lubricant. Chainsaw oil is the best lubricant for
    bicycle chains, but you must soak the chain in it; you can't just drip
    it on and expect the oil to get into the rollers and between the link
    plates. Almost all of the chain lubricants that are dripped on or
    sprayed on, do a poor job because they don't penetrate inside. They give
    the illusion of a lubricated chain because the outside of the chain is
    no longer dry.

    With a chain cleaning tool such as the Park CM-5 Cyclone® Chain
    Scrubber, kerosene, and a can of foaming chain lube, you can greatly
    reduce the time it takes to keep your chains clean and lubricated.

  10. SMS

    SMS Guest

    damyth wrote:
    > Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    > looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube (at this stage
    > in my experiments) other than motocycle chain lube.
    >
    > I just want to find a *motorcycle* chain lube that works well on (mtn)
    > bicycle chains. My prior (and first) experience with something called
    > "Maxima Chain Wax"
    > (http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp) has been a
    > disappointment. The chain chirps, and it's not because I didn't put on
    > enough of the stuff. And In case you're wondering, after cleaning I
    > did warm up the bike chain in the oven (400F for about 10 minutes) so I
    > applied the lube more or less per the manufacturers instructions.
    >
    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    Read: "http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/mar2000/mhobbs/"

    "If you've been using WD-40 as a chain lube we have a surprise for you.
    It doesn't work! WD-40 attracts dirt to your chain and is not much of a
    lubricant for anything besides a squeaky door hinge. We've been using
    "Chain Guard" by Maxima as our chain lube for a few rides and it does
    not attract dirt. Spraying it on the chain you'll notice that it comes
    out of the can foamy. Then as the rim is rotated it seeps deep into the
    chain rollers to lubricate them. Chain Guard is designed for off-road
    use and is safe for o-ring chains. It is also designed not to fling off
    while riding. After you apply it give it a few minutes to set up then
    ride. Unlike Chain Wax by Maxima Chain Guard doesn't need the sprockets
    and chain to be warm. It does however need them to be clean."

  11. try fabricating a chain enclosure from salavaged 5 gallon plastic motor
    cycle chain lube jugs

  12. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:34:51 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]EDSlink.net> wrote:

    > As a result, I have resigned myself to putting up with
    >the occasional chain stripe on a sock. (This is one reason to wear
    >black socks in the summer when riding.)

    White socks for cycling is a stupid idea.

    Matt O.

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On 12 Dec 2005 07:02:44 -0800, "LF" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I like chainshaw lube. It's thick, like Phil's tenacious. I cut it
    >with white gas (coleman stove fuel) in the hopes that it will flow down
    >into the pins, the white gas will evaporate, leaving the chainsaw lube
    >where it will do the most good. I follow Sheldon's advice of lightly
    >lubing the inner pin, and letting it flow to where it will do some
    >good. Usually I only lube clean chanins, and after the first ride wipe
    >the residue off of the chain.

    This is the key, but wipe before you ride. Run the chain through a
    rag until it's clean, or as clean as you can get it. Lube on the
    outside of the chain just collects dirt. Lube on the inside, in the
    rollers, is what matters.

    With that in mind, you can use almost anything. It really doesn't
    matter -- motor oil, ATF, 3-in-1, whatever. Notice how your chain
    stops squeaking when it gets wet -- even water is a good lubricant.

    I do use Phil Oil, but it's messy no matter what. Long strings of it
    form between the cogs and chain while it's being applied, and this
    gets all over everything. The other thing I use a lot is Boeshield, a
    semi-waxy lube which seems to resist washing out a bit longer than
    plain oil.

    Again, wipe *before* riding.

    Matt O.

  14. SMS

    SMS Guest

    LF wrote:
    > I like chainshaw lube. It's thick, like Phil's tenacious. I cut it
    > with white gas (coleman stove fuel) in the hopes that it will flow down
    > into the pins, the white gas will evaporate, leaving the chainsaw lube
    > where it will do the most good.

    Chainsaw lube is ideal and cheap, but getting down to the pins and
    between the link plates is about impossible unless you soak the chain in it.

    The benefit of foaming motorcycle chain lube is that it gets into the
    chain without having to soak the chain, and there are no extra steps
    involved, just spray it on.

    One thing I used to do, prior to using the foaming lube, was to clean
    the chain with the chain cleaning machine, then once the solvent ran
    clean (about three flushes of kerosene), I'd fill the tool with oil and
    run the chain through again, so each link was submerged in the lubricant.

  15. if thick lubes turn you on try valvo synthetic transmission oil-cut to
    drip flow desired with temp levels.

  16. Ed Chait

    Ed Chait Guest

    I've been using the Champion brand motorcycle chain lube they have at the
    local Walmart.

    Works extremely well, and lasts longer than any other lube I've tried, and
    I've tried many.

    Does not fling off at all, and doesn't seem to attract a lot of crud.

    Ed Chait

  17. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:28:53 -0500, Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:34:51 GMT, Werehatrack
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> As a result, I have resigned myself to putting up with
    >>the occasional chain stripe on a sock. (This is one reason to wear
    >>black socks in the summer when riding.)

    >White socks for cycling is a stupid idea.

    Even without chain grease (which I'm pleased to report almost never touches my
    leg or ankle) cycling just destroys my white socks. Dust sticks to sweat and
    gets ground into the socks in a way that's as permanent as crud can get. Some of
    the muds and slimes we've got down here stain something terrible.

    Ron

  18. damyth wrote:

    > Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    > looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube (at this stage
    > in my experiments) other than motocycle chain lube.
    >
    > I just want to find a *motorcycle* chain lube that works well on (mtn)
    > bicycle chains. My prior (and first) experience with something called
    > "Maxima Chain Wax"
    > (http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp) has been a
    > disappointment. The chain chirps, and it's not because I didn't put on
    > enough of the stuff. And In case you're wondering, after cleaning I
    > did warm up the bike chain in the oven (400F for about 10 minutes) so I
    > applied the lube more or less per the manufacturers instructions.
    >
    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    I;ve tried Castrol chain lube. If you spray *loads* on the chain, being
    careful to get every link from both sides, then wipe, it can be a quiet
    and clean lube. However, it's really easy to miss one link because the
    stuff doesn't penetrate very well, then you get an irritating squeak.
    If you have to lube quickly before a 100 mile ride, use liquid oil as it
    is guaranteed to work.

    Overall, I'd give it 6/10 as a bike chain lube. It's fantastic for car
    door hinges though.

  19. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:34:51 GMT, Werehatrack
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> As a result, I have resigned myself to putting up with
    >>the occasional chain stripe on a sock. (This is one reason to wear
    >>black socks in the summer when riding.)

    >White socks for cycling is a stupid idea.

    When that's what you have, you wear it.
    --

  20. damyth wrote:
    > Let me preface by saying I am not looking to start a war. I am not
    > looking for recommendations on alternative forms of lube
    >
    > Looking for other people who have had prior experience with motorcycle
    > chain lube on bicycle chains, and would appreciate specific
    > recommendations.

    Dear Damyth:

    I like PJ's chain lube. It is good and gorpy and penetrates well. I
    use it on moutnain, road and bmx racing bikes. A dose on my 24 lasts a
    whole season racing. I like it better than Boshield, plus it is cheap.

    PJ is about as good as it gets for MC chains, too. Even if you have a
    sealed, lubed chain you still need something on the outside.

    good luck

    jn

    "Thursday"