Recommended reading [wheel building]

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill B

Howdy Yall. I would like to recommend The Bicycle Wheel[3rd edition]by Jobst BRANDT to those that
would like to start building their own wheels or to those that would like to be more informed on the
subject of Bicycle wheels. I have built a few wheels in the past and after a little bit of reading
tonight I now realize that I made mistakes. This is a excellent book and makes for a good read for
gear heads.A section on rims was a eye opener since I never really knew the advantages or
disadvantages of aluminum vs anodized vs steel vs ceramic rims. Also I never knew that there was
such a thing as wood filled rims for tubular tires. braking characteristics on the above rims
explained some past problems I had with some of my bikes over the years.I bought my book from
Colorado cyclist for $24.95 plus ship. Amamzon also has the book but you'll get the book faster from
Colorado. Now back to some more reading about nipples and.........

J

Jude T. McGloin

Bill, Excellent book on wheel building. Required reading for my wheel building class participants.
However, NEVER ask Jobst's opinion on recumbents as viable bicycles.

Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy Yall. I would like to recommend The Bicycle Wheel[3rd edition]by Jobst BRANDT to those that
> would like to start building their own wheels or to those that would like to be more informed on
> the subject of Bicycle wheels. I have built a few wheels in the past and after a little bit of
> reading tonight I now realize that I made mistakes. This is a excellent book and makes for a good
> read for gear heads.A section on rims was a eye opener since I never really knew the advantages or
> disadvantages of aluminum vs anodized vs steel vs ceramic rims. Also I never knew that there was
> such a thing as wood filled rims for tubular tires. braking characteristics on the above rims
> explained some past problems I had with some of my bikes over the years.I bought my book from
> Colorado cyclist for $24.95 plus ship. Amamzon also has the book but you'll get the book faster
> from Colorado. Now back to some more reading about nipples and.........

T

Tom Sherman

Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> Or save your money and go here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is a MPEG video worth?

Although I have not tried building wheels, I have the Gaerlan Wheelbuilding CD-ROM [1], and I highly
recommend it as complement to the written materials available.

As an aside, the homebuilt folding CLWB bike is also interesting looking. [2]

[1] < http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/books/books.html >
[2] < http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/lbent.gif >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

M

Mark Stonich

The Art Of Wheelbuilding by Gerd Schranner ISBN # 0-9649835-3-2 Here in the USA, your LBS can order
it from QBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.