Recommended reading [wheel building]

Status

Bill B

Guest
Howdy Yall. I would like to recommend The Bicycle Wheel[3rd edition]by Jobst BRANDT to those that
would like to start building their own wheels or to those that would like to be more informed on the
subject of Bicycle wheels. I have built a few wheels in the past and after a little bit of reading
tonight I now realize that I made mistakes. This is a excellent book and makes for a good read for
gear heads.A section on rims was a eye opener since I never really knew the advantages or
disadvantages of aluminum vs anodized vs steel vs ceramic rims. Also I never knew that there was
such a thing as wood filled rims for tubular tires. braking characteristics on the above rims
explained some past problems I had with some of my bikes over the years.I bought my book from
Colorado cyclist for $24.95 plus ship. Amamzon also has the book but you'll get the book faster from
Colorado. Now back to some more reading about nipples and.........

Jude T. McGloin

Guest
Bill, Excellent book on wheel building. Required reading for my wheel building class participants.
However, NEVER ask Jobst's opinion on recumbents as viable bicycles.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy Yall. I would like to recommend The Bicycle Wheel[3rd edition]by Jobst BRANDT to those that
> would like to start building their own wheels or to those that would like to be more informed on
> the subject of Bicycle wheels. I have built a few wheels in the past and after a little bit of
> reading tonight I now realize that I made mistakes. This is a excellent book and makes for a good
> read for gear heads.A section on rims was a eye opener since I never really knew the advantages or
> disadvantages of aluminum vs anodized vs steel vs ceramic rims. Also I never knew that there was
> such a thing as wood filled rims for tubular tires. braking characteristics on the above rims
> explained some past problems I had with some of my bikes over the years.I bought my book from
> Colorado cyclist for $24.95 plus ship. Amamzon also has the book but you'll get the book faster
> from Colorado. Now back to some more reading about nipples and.........

Tom Sherman

Guest
Dave Larrington wrote:

> Or save your money and go here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is a MPEG video worth?

Although I have not tried building wheels, I have the Gaerlan Wheelbuilding CD-ROM [1], and I highly
recommend it as complement to the written materials available.

As an aside, the homebuilt folding CLWB bike is also interesting looking. [2]

[1] < http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/books/books.html >
[2] < http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/lbent.gif >

Mark Stonich

Guest
The Art Of Wheelbuilding by Gerd Schranner ISBN # 0-9649835-3-2 Here in the USA, your LBS can order
it from QBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.