Recommended Reading

Okay, I admit it, I'm both too busy, and too cheap, to buy these
magazines. I'm waiting 'til I can get to the library and read them for
free. Meanwhile:

The latest Popular Science has an article on the 100 best inventions of
the year. One of, briefly glimpsed, was a bike with two wheels in the
back, canted inward so that they seemed almost to touch at the top.

And this month's Outside has an article on the controversy surrounding
Lance Armstrong these days. The subtitle said something like, "the
conspiracy to drag down a champion."

Anybody already read these?

Bill, suddenly noticing how nice it's been around here without the Cloud

| An animal will leave a carcus after he gets his belly full, |
| but you never see a banker do that sort of thing. |
| --Butch Cassidy |

> The latest Popular Science has an article on the 100 best inventions of
> the year. One of, briefly glimpsed, was a bike with two wheels in the
> back, canted inward so that they seemed almost to touch at the top.

It's only that way when sitting still or moving very slow. When it
starts moving faster, the wheels cant outward so they almost touch (or
perhaps do touch) at the bottom. Handles like a bike when moving, won't
fall over when stopped.

I read about it somewhere on the web. An interesting idea.

Rich

[email protected] wrote:
> Okay, I admit it, I'm both too busy, and too cheap, to buy these
> magazines. I'm waiting 'til I can get to the library and read them for
> free. Meanwhile:
>
> The latest Popular Science has an article on the 100 best inventions of
> the year. One of, briefly glimpsed, was a bike with two wheels in the
> back, canted inward so that they seemed almost to touch at the top.

It's been discussed here before -- basically an art student's take on
bicycle design <snicker>. A "solution" looking for a problem -- best case.

Damn, I thought you were recommending something in my home town
(Reading, Berkshire)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's been discussed here before -- basically an art student's take on
> bicycle design <snicker>. A "solution" looking for a problem -- best case.

I finally read the article. The bike (really a trike) is
unconventional all over, frame and wheels included. The rear wheels tilt
inward when it's going slow or stopped, and outward at higher speeds.
Built-in training wheels, IOW. The frame of this contraption is something
I can't begin to describe in mere text, and the wheels are really wild,
one piece things with only two "spokes." Picture the Greek letter theta.
Truly a solution looking for a problem.

Bill

__o |Watch out now, take care, beware of greedy leaders
_`\(,_ |They take you where you should not go...
(_)/ (_) | --George Harrison

This slant-wheeled tricycle in Pop Sci looks like the cheap kind of
garishly-colored plastic junk that young parents buy for their kids at
Wal-Mart. At only $100., I wouldn't expect it to perform any better
than that sort of throwaway stuff. This magazine has degenerated into
nothing much more than a promotional rag to boost frivilous
overconsumption.
However, they did show the Canon XL-H1, a high-achieving,
high-definition camcorder that has members of video forums in a frenzy
of lust for it.

Steve McDonald