Recommended Reading

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?

    I'm just starting to get into this more seriously now, and would like to do some reading on
    the subject.

    Thanks,

    Peter.

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:27:14 +0000, Peter did issue forth:

    > Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?
    >
    > I'm just starting to get into this more seriously now, and would like to do some reading on the
    > subject.

    MBUK is written for 14 year olds and, with the possible exception of Mint Sauce, is not
    worth buying.

    MBR is a bit better, but seems to be slowly heading down the same slippery slope as MBUK.

    Singletrack is the best MTB magazine in the entire world. It doesn't have much in the way of
    technical articles, but it has a fair deal of kit reviews and the articles cover some really diverse
    riding and make a great read on a wet Sunday afternoon when you really can't be bothered leaving the
    comfort of the sofa.

  3. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?
    >
    > I'm just starting to get into this more seriously now, and would like to
    do
    > some reading on the subject.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter.

    Is there a decent ordinary bike mag in the UK? The Comic is for roadies and gets very dull in the
    winter. Cycling Plus is getting frayed at the edges. Where do we turn?

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes

    >"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?
    >>
    >> I'm just starting to get into this more seriously now, and would like to
    >do
    >> some reading on the subject.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Peter.
    >>

    >Is there a decent ordinary bike mag in the UK? The Comic is for roadies and gets very dull in the
    >winter. Cycling Plus is getting frayed at the edges. Where do we turn?

    Launch our own?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is there a decent ordinary bike mag in the UK? The Comic is for roadies and gets very dull in the
    >winter. Cycling Plus is getting frayed at the edges. Where do we turn?

    I get Cycletouring from the CTC, and import the Rivendell Reader.

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:27:14 +0000, Peter did issue forth:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?
    > MBR is a bit better, but seems to be slowly heading down the same slippery slope as MBUK.

    MBR is pretty good. Articles include repairs, routes, reviews, glossaries tech help etc.

    Like most of these sort of mags the same things get re-hashed as newbies start reading and
    others desert.

    Also look out for "What Mountain Bike", I think it's published quarterly and may be of interest.

    Join the ranks in the Reading Room of WHS before committing to buy ;-)

    Pete

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Is there a decent ordinary bike mag in the UK? The Comic is for roadies and gets very dull in the
    > winter. Cycling Plus is getting frayed at the edges. Where do we turn?

    Expand a little on 'frayed at the edges', if you think it's worth the effort. The publisher himself
    started the following thread:

    http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1681

    I have no idea if he's listening, but it couldn't hurt to post your feelings on the matter.

  8. Tony Yates

    Tony Yates Guest

    What MTB is now published monthly, IMO gives the most balanced of views.

    Tony

    --
    www.therush.uk.com "Peter B" <[email protected]btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:27:14 +0000, Peter did issue forth:
    > >
    > > > Can anyone recommend a good general mountain biking magazine?
    > > MBR is a bit better, but seems to be slowly heading down the same
    slippery
    > > slope as MBUK.
    >
    > MBR is pretty good. Articles include repairs, routes, reviews, glossaries tech help etc.
    >
    > Like most of these sort of mags the same things get re-hashed as newbies start reading and
    > others desert.
    >
    > Also look out for "What Mountain Bike", I think it's published quarterly
    and
    > may be of interest.
    >
    > Join the ranks in the Reading Room of WHS before committing to buy ;-)
    >
    > Pete

  9. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Is there a decent ordinary bike mag in the UK? The Comic is for roadies
    and
    > > gets very dull in the winter. Cycling Plus is getting frayed at the
    edges.
    > > Where do we turn?
    >
    > Expand a little on 'frayed at the edges', if you think it's worth the effort. The publisher
    > himself started the following thread:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1681
    >
    > I have no idea if he's listening, but it couldn't hurt to post your feelings on the matter.

    Oooo - I'll go there and make some comments.

    Ta