Recommended road tube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ed Swierk, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Ed Swierk

    Ed Swierk Guest

    I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes from
    Performance (700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem to get
    flat in the same place every time--about 4 spokes away from
    the valve--yet I can't find any defect in the tire or rim
    that would cause a puncture.

    It always looks like the tube material simply separates and
    forms a hole. If I partially inflate a new tube, I don't see
    any defects, but after a few rides, I get a flat. I normally
    inflate the tires to the recommended 115 psi. So, I'm
    suspecting a quality control problem that might have caused
    a bad batch of Performance tubes.

    Can anyone recommend a more reliable brand of road tube? I'm
    using a set of Avocet FasGrip K20 700x25c tires (well-worn,
    which I suspect doesn't help the tubes last any longer).

    --Ed

    --
    Ed Swierk [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Do you have a bare wire in the sidewall of the tyre??

  3. Paul Nevai

    Paul Nevai Guest

    Ed Swierk <[email protected]> aszonygya:
    :I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes from Performance
    :(700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem to get flat in the
    :same place every
    :time--about 4 spokes away from the valve--yet I can't find
    any defect in :the tire or rim that would cause a puncture.

    I use the same and works fine for me. In fact, all regular
    [cheap] tubes work just fine for me. I think the tire
    matters. I use the Armadillo by Specialized and the
    Continental touring tire. I keep the pressure up and I am
    careful about installing the tube/tire.

    /Paul

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Commuter Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:19:17 -0700, Ed Swierk wrote:
    >
    > > I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes
    > > from Performance (700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem
    > > to get flat in the same place every time--about 4 spokes
    > > away from the valve--yet I can't find any defect in the
    > > tire or rim that would cause a puncture.

    Look very closely for a small sliver of glass that is
    between the tread and casing that is only evident with
    pressure on the outside of the tire. I went through four
    flats on a tire once before I finally located the culprit.
    Last week I had a similar problem but only one flat. I kept
    looking until I located the intruder I knew HAD to be there.

    Having said the above I have also gone through batches of
    tubes with seam flaws that failed after weeks or months of
    use. Bad tubes included light weight Continental, Michelin
    and the worst, Salsa. Solution: heavy generic Blackburn. 20
    more grams and no more flats. Bill Brannon

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Ed Swierk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes from
    > Performance (700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem to get
    > flat in the same place every time--about 4 spokes away
    > from the valve--yet I can't find any defect in the tire or
    > rim that would cause a puncture.
    >
    > It always looks like the tube material simply separates
    > and forms a hole. If I partially inflate a new tube, I
    > don't see any defects, but after a few rides, I get a
    > flat. I normally inflate the tires to the recommended 115
    > psi. So, I'm suspecting a quality control problem that
    > might have caused a bad batch of Performance tubes.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a more reliable brand of road tube?
    > I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip K20 700x25c tires (well-
    > worn, which I suspect doesn't help the tubes last any
    > longer).
    >
    > --Ed

    You are running the tube a little at the end of it's
    recommended size, so it is stretched. I had this problem
    with some lightweight Kenda-made Salsa tubes that failed at
    what looked like a circumferential seam near the valve. The
    tubes were rated to 23mm but I was using them on a tire
    about 24mm. Mind you, it took many hundreds of miles for
    them to start separating, but they did. When I looked at the
    hole and noticed it at this "seam", I pulled it, the hole
    got bigger. I could also see other holes forming as breaks
    from the outside.

    I would get a tube more appropriately sized.

    Robin Hubert [email protected]

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You are running the tube a little at the end of it's
    > recommended size, so it is stretched. I had this problem
    > with some lightweight Kenda-made Salsa tubes that failed
    > at what looked like a circumferential seam near the valve.
    > The tubes were rated to 23mm but I was using them on a
    > tire about 24mm. Mind you, it took many hundreds of miles
    > for them to start separating, but they did. When I looked
    > at the hole and noticed it at this "seam", I pulled it,
    > the hole got bigger. I could also see other holes forming
    > as breaks from the outside.
    >
    > I would get a tube more appropriately sized.
    >
    > Robin Hubert [email protected]

    I bought six Salsa tubes. After three failures at the above
    referenced seam I checked the others. Two of them failed
    when inspected without ever being ridden. The other wasn't
    worth the risk. I took them all back to the LBS who
    reluctantly refunded my money. I guess they were kind of
    stuck because my problem was not unique and had decided not
    to sell Salsa tubes any more. Bill Brannon

  7. Collin

    Collin Guest

    Ed Swierk wrote:
    > I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes from
    > Performance (700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem to get
    > flat in the same place every time--about 4 spokes away
    > from the valve--yet I can't find any defect in the tire or
    > rim that would cause a puncture.
    >
    > It always looks like the tube material simply separates
    > and forms a hole. If I partially inflate a new tube, I
    > don't see any defects, but after a few rides, I get a
    > flat. I normally inflate the tires to the recommended 115
    > psi. So, I'm suspecting a quality control problem that
    > might have caused a bad batch of Performance tubes.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a more reliable brand of road tube?
    > I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip K20 700x25c tires (well-
    > worn, which I suspect doesn't help the tubes last any
    > longer).
    >
    > --Ed

    I'm using the same brand, and I've found they are a little
    big for 700c rims. My tires folded on themselves and wore
    through after about fifty miles. The fix: just very
    carefully seating the tubes to ensure they don't fold over
    themselves.

  8. Ed Swierk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been getting a lot of flats recently with tubes from
    > Performance (700x19-25c, Presta valve). They seem to get
    > flat in the same place every time--about 4 spokes away
    > from the valve--yet I can't find any defect in the tire or
    > rim that would cause a puncture.

    I got one of those last week. New Performance tube, 700x19-
    26, presta. Pinhole on the inside, about an inch from the
    stem, could not find the cause.

    dkl