Recommended stores in South East England?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kris Dow, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Kris Dow

    Kris Dow Guest

    Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary.

    I'm basically looking to get sorted out for a bike to use on roads/unpaved bike trails and I haven't
    bought a bike in more than ten years (or ridden regularly in about as long :) so I'm going to need a
    fair amount of help and guidance.

    Also, any particular words of wisdom/bits of kit that are must haves? (I'm looking to spend about
    500ukp for the whole lot, and I'd like to get an indoor trainer as well- due to various
    circumstances I can't always get out of the house and I'd like to still be able to get some exercise
    in when that happens.)

    -Kris

    Tags:

  2. Stores???????????

    Stores??????????????????????????????

    Egad.....

    Brandy!

    Shops, dear boy

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Kris Dow <[email protected]> writes
    >Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary.
    >
    >I'm basically looking to get sorted out for a bike to use on roads/unpaved bike trails and I
    >haven't bought a bike in more than ten years (or ridden regularly in about as long :) so I'm going
    >to need a fair amount of help and guidance.
    >
    >Also, any particular words of wisdom/bits of kit that are must haves? (I'm looking to spend about
    >500ukp for the whole lot, and I'd like to get an indoor trainer as well- due to various
    >circumstances I can't always get out of the house and I'd like to still be able to get some
    >exercise in when that happens.)
    >
    >-Kris

    I live in Crowthorne but would recommend AW Cycles at 110 Henley Road in Caversham. I was given this
    recommendation by someone else on this NG and it's been ideal. Where are the 'unpaved bike trails'
    you want to ride? Bracknell Forest?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. In message <[email protected]>, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Stores???????????
    >
    >Stores??????????????????????????????
    >

    >Egad.....
    >
    >Brandy!
    >

    >Shops, dear boy

    AW Cycles' Yellow Pages entry says, "Reading's leading independent bike _store_." Must be a Reading
    thing. :)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Kris Dow

    Kris Dow Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
    > Stores???????????
    >
    > Stores??????????????????????????????
    >

    > Egad.....
    >
    > Brandy!
    >

    > Shops, dear boy

    Girl, actually. And I plead the fact that I originally posted in a non-UK specific newsgroup and
    forgot to translate back to 'proper speak' when I cut 'n pasted it here. :)

    -Kris (Also, 'm American, much as I try to pretend otherwise, so occasionally the vocabulary slips.
    I'll try not to do it again. :)

  6. Kris Dow

    Kris Dow Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > I live in Crowthorne but would recommend AW Cycles at 110 Henley Road in Caversham. I was given
    > this recommendation by someone else on this NG and it's been ideal. Where are the 'unpaved bike
    > trails' you want to ride? Bracknell Forest?

    Hertfordshire. We'll be moving soon, so I figure I might as well get something that'll suit where
    I'll be this time next year as well as now. :)

    (Or at least, I am informed that there are trails in the area we're moving to. Haven't actually
    investigated myself yet. Anyone know what there is in Hemel Hempstead or thereabouts?)

    -Kris

  7. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On 16 Apr 2003 07:07:03 +0100, Kris Dow scrawled: ) Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but
    I am willing ) to travel a bit if necessary.

    Head north rather than south, and try Oxford. Decent rail links to bring the bike home, assuming
    there are trains actually running (integrated transport, anybody?) Reg Taylor's in Oxford is
    slightly out of my price bracket (me being a poor student) but I can highly recommend the shop. Reg
    himself is a gentleman and his staff are all very helpful.

    J-P
    --
    "Do you want a bracelet?" Translation:The trunk of my car is filled with pure heroin. Do you want to
    purchase any?

  8. In message <[email protected]>, j-p.s
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Head north rather than south, and try Oxford.

    Who said anything about travelling South?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  9. Peter Simons

    Peter Simons Guest

    Kris Dow wrote:

    > (Or at least, I am informed that there are trails in the area we're moving to. Haven't actually
    > investigated myself yet. Anyone know what there is in Hemel Hempstead or thereabouts?)

    most certainly

    very near the chilterns also Ashridge Estate

    Peter

  10. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:30:59 +0100, Michael MacClancy scrawled: ) In message
    <[email protected]>, j-p.s ) <[email protected]> writes
    )>Head north rather than south, and try Oxford. ) ) Who said anything about travelling South?

    I thought Caversham was to the south. I'm confused anyway, as I've always thought of Reading as
    South England rather than South-East England. I was looking on Streetmap for a while, to check we
    were talking about the same Reading.

    J-P
    --
    "Can I borrow some Vaseline?" "Why, are you planning some hot snogging action?" "No, but apart from
    that being inevitable, my nips really hurt. Oh, dear, I said 'nips'. No, my nips are fine, but my

  11. In message <[email protected]>, j-p.s
    <[email protected]> writes

    >I'm confused anyway, as I've always thought of Reading as South England rather than
    >South-East England.

    I share your confusion although in the opposite direction. I have always thought of Reading as
    South-east England having previously lived in South Wales, London and North-west England. What's
    South-east England if Reading isn't in it?

    Having said that BBC South provides the local news.

    Prior to coming to live close to Reading I also always thought of it as a bit of a nowhere place.
    Perhaps that's the answer - Reading, it's nowhere. :)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  12. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:44:53 +0100, Michael MacClancy scrawled: ) I share your confusion although
    in the opposite direction. I have ) always thought of Reading as South-east England having
    previously lived ) in South Wales, London and North-west England. What's South-east ) England if
    Reading isn't in it?

    Hertfordshire. See, I'd say that "south-west" starts at at least Somerset if not Wiltshire (the
    east-west length of Cornwall and Devon skewing things somewhat), so Oxfordshire would realistically
    have to be south.

    http://www.bugbog.com/maps/europe/british_isles/england_wales_counties_map.html

    I'd say (only in my opinion) you could draw a line from Northumberland to the Isle of Wight, and
    everything within 1/3 of the mean width of the UK from that line would feel to me to be neither
    "east-" nor "west-anything".

    Since moving from Lancashire I've had to completely reorient such things. When I was there I might
    have called Oxfordshire part of the south-east, but even then I might prefer just plain south.
    Although Blackburn is the geographic centre of mass of Scotland, England and Wales (roughly) this
    does you no good when talking only about England. It barely helps when talking about the UK.

    J-P
    --
    There is a real world; its properties are not merely social constructions; facts and evidence do
    matter. What sane person would contend otherwise? And yet, much contemporary academic theorizing

  13. In message <[email protected]>, Kris Dow <[email protected]> writes

    >The husband and I actually reckon that Berkshire isn't really in England. There's some weird
    >instant-transport thing which happens at the borders, and Berkshire is really someplace totally
    >bizarre. Like Mars.
    >
    >I believe we arrived at this theory after attempting to find Berkshire on several different
    >webpages (of the "click the area of the UK where you live" map variety) and completely failing to
    >do so and/or finding it in totally weird places, like the North West or Scotland.
    >
    >-Kris (Who suspects that sleep deprivation was probably also involved, as it normally is with weird
    >theories. :)

    What always seems strange to me is that Reading, PA is in Berks County. Someone must have had a
    peculiar attachment to Reading, Royal County of Berkshire! Or a strange sense of humour! :)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  14. Kris Dow

    Kris Dow Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, j-p.s
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >>I'm confused anyway, as I've always thought of Reading as South England rather than South-East
    >>England.
    >
    > I share your confusion although in the opposite direction. I have always thought of Reading as
    > South-east England having previously lived in South Wales, London and North-west England. What's
    > South-east England if Reading isn't in it?
    >
    > Having said that BBC South provides the local news.
    >
    > Prior to coming to live close to Reading I also always thought of it as a bit of a nowhere place.
    > Perhaps that's the answer - Reading, it's nowhere. :)

    The husband and I actually reckon that Berkshire isn't really in England. There's some weird
    instant-transport thing which happens at the borders, and Berkshire is really someplace totally
    bizarre. Like Mars.

    I believe we arrived at this theory after attempting to find Berkshire on several different webpages
    (of the "click the area of the UK where you live" map variety) and completely failing to do so
    and/or finding it in totally weird places, like the North West or Scotland.

    -Kris (Who suspects that sleep deprivation was probably also involved, as it normally is with weird
    theories. :)

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > The husband and I actually reckon that Berkshire isn't really in England. There's some weird
    > instant-transport thing which happens at the borders, and Berkshire is really someplace totally
    > bizarre. Like Mars.
    >
    > I believe we arrived at this theory after attempting to find Berkshire on several different
    > webpages (of the "click the area of the UK where you live" map variety) and completely failing to
    > do so and/or finding it in totally weird places, like the North West or Scotland.

    If you go to somewhere horrible like uk.net.news.config you can ask the Berkshire question. One of
    its more pedantic denizens will answer insistently that Berks doesn't exist in any way, shape or
    form and has no definable borders. In certain legal respects he is right but on the whole I think
    he's wrong. I'm running in Berkshire at the weekend so I hope I'm right in thinking he's wrong.

    Colin

  16. In message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >> The husband and I actually reckon that Berkshire isn't really in England. There's some weird
    >> instant-transport thing which happens at the borders, and Berkshire is really someplace totally
    >> bizarre. Like Mars.
    >>
    >> I believe we arrived at this theory after attempting to find Berkshire on several different
    >> webpages (of the "click the area of the UK where you live" map variety) and completely failing to
    >> do so and/or finding it in totally weird places, like the North West or Scotland.
    >
    >If you go to somewhere horrible like uk.net.news.config you can ask the Berkshire question. One of
    >its more pedantic denizens will answer insistently that Berks doesn't exist in any way, shape or
    >form and has no definable borders. In certain legal respects he is right but on the whole I think
    >he's wrong. I'm running in Berkshire at the weekend so I hope I'm right in thinking he's wrong.
    >
    >Colin

    Where are you running? It's going to be hot.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  17. In message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >>
    >> Where are you running? It's going to be hot.
    >
    >At the JK2003 (orienteering festival) Saturday in Hambleden Woods (Ox) and Sunday in Star Posts
    >(Berks) Friday and Monday too but I'm not sure where.
    >
    >At least it'll be dry.
    >
    >Colin

    The Star Posts are in Bracknell (Swinley) Forest, just south of Bracknell. I guessed you might be
    going there just after I pressed the Send button. I was up there training yesterday evening and saw
    some signs warning of orienteers emerging from thickets! It's very dry up there and some of the
    trails are pretty sandy. Actually the forecast for Sunday is cooler. Have fun.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Where are you running? It's going to be hot.

    At the JK2003 (orienteering festival) Saturday in Hambleden Woods (Ox) and Sunday in Star Posts
    (Berks) Friday and Monday too but I'm not sure where.

    At least it'll be dry.

    Colin

  19. In article <[email protected]on.co.uk>, [email protected] says...

    > The Star Posts are in Bracknell (Swinley) Forest, just south of Bracknell. I guessed you might be
    > going there just after I pressed the Send button. I was up there training yesterday evening and
    > saw some signs warning of orienteers emerging from thickets! It's very dry up there and some of
    > the trails are pretty sandy. Actually the forecast for Sunday is cooler. Have fun.

    Thanks.

    To bring this back to cycling via orienteering, I have just recently moved house and I was very
    pleased to see that a Trailquest event takes place from my village next month (the parish newsletter
    mentioned it.) I haven't done MTB orienteering events as I can't normally get to them. Now I have
    one on my doorstep, or just about 3 miles from my doorstep. Too good an opportunity to miss.

    Colin

  20. John B

    John B Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > To bring this back to cycling via orienteering, I have just recently moved house and I was very
    > pleased to see that a Trailquest event takes place from my village next month (the parish
    > newsletter mentioned it.) I haven't done MTB orienteering events as I can't normally get to
    > them. Now I have one on my doorstep, or just about 3 miles from my doorstep. Too good an
    > opportunity to miss.

    Quite. You need that two weeks touring in the Alps. Next month is obviously the time to go.

    John B (who hates getting his wheels muddy)