Recommended stores in South East England?

Kris Dow wrote:
> Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary.

A little bit further to travel, but my regular shop is Cycleworks in Burpham (basically in
Guildford).

They aren't masssssssive, but I like 'em.

--
StainlessSteelRat "You are fighting for the biggest nothing in history." -- Hubert, Apocalypse Now

Kris Dow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary

> I'm basically looking to get sorted out for a bike to use
on
> roads/unpaved bike trails and I haven't bought a bike in more than ten years (or ridden regularly
> in about as long :) so I'm going to need a fair amount of help and guidance.

There's a bike shop (can't remember the name) just to the south of Wokingham station that I
recommend. Don't have a huge collection of bikes, but have a large amount of the other bits and bobs
that you tend to need (far more than the other local shops).

I think that it's called something sports.

Owen

Kris Dow <[email protected]> wrote:
>Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary.

Some reason you have 50-odd spaces tacked on the end of each line?

I use Freewheel, in Reading. A W Cycles also have a good reputation.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hertfordshire. See, I'd say that "south-west" starts at at least Somerset if not Wiltshire (the
> east-west length of Cornwall and Devon skewing things somewhat), so Oxfordshire would
> realistically have to be south.

Phooey. Looking from here, the south-east starts at Exeter.

Well, Exeter's the nearest place with real jobs (economic southeast), it's 's on the motorway
network; it's on the Network South East railway lines ...

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:03:28 +0100, Nick Kew scrawled: ) Phooey. Looking from here, the south-east
starts at Exeter.

Ah, but if you want to draw an atlas - much as if you want to plan a road or cycle route - it helps
if your point of view is from outer space. Judging by the farcilities in central Oxford, most of our
town planners are probably extra-terrestrial in some sense.

And as far as atlases are concerned, if you're north-west of Exeter then I'm surprised moveable type
has made it that far. Mrraow.

J-P
--
"Welcome, our friends. You may have the arms of fat women but your work smells of men. Return to
Bangor and let the shout of revolution ring out in your gigs."

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ah, but if you want to draw an atlas - much as if you want to plan a road or cycle route - it
> helps if your point of view is from outer space.

BTDTGTwoTS:) Spent most of the '90s working on Earth Observation, with the bulk of that being at
the European Space Agency.

> Judging by the farcilities in central Oxford, most of our town planners are probably
> extra-terrestrial in some sense.

Well, with material like that third-rate provincial poly to work with, what do you expect? <gd&r>

> And as far as atlases are concerned, if you're north-west of Exeter then

North-west? Nah, just west.

> I'm surprised moveable type has made it that far. Mrraow.

Nope, can't shift my type.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"Kris Dow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area, but I am willing to travel a bit if necessary.
>
> I'm basically looking to get sorted out for a bike to use on roads/unpaved bike trails and I
> haven't bought a bike in more than ten years (or ridden regularly in about as long :) so I'm going
> to need a fair amount of help and guidance.
>
> Also, any particular words of wisdom/bits of kit that are must haves? (I'm looking to spend about
> 500ukp for the whole lot, and I'd like to get an indoor trainer as well- due to various
> circumstances I can't always get out of the house and I'd like to still be able to get some
> exercise in when that happens.)
>
> -Kris

Try Mountain High in Pangbourne. Website here... http://www.mountainhigh.co.uk/home.htm. Jolly nice
people & good selection of toys. My bike's actually in their workshop as I type. Getting it back
today just in time for the rain over the weekend. Life is cruel.

On 16 Apr 2003 07:07:03 +0100, Kris Dow <[email protected]> wrote:

>Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area

I second the recommendations for AW Cycles in Caversham. There are several other local shops, but I
have found them to be consistently the best. Apart from when Ricky told me my tourer was obsolete,
but I've forgiven him for that since he sorted the Magura disc brakes on my recumbent for me. Well,
nearly forgiven anyway.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On 16 Apr 2003 07:07:03 +0100, Kris Dow <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Specifically in the Reading/Wokingham area

I'd like to give credit to the bloke at Smiths in Witley who (at no charge) reattached crank to axle
when the former became lost just (as luck would have it) as I cycled past his shop.

I'm about to ask him to relace a pair of wheels for me - they are completely true and round still
but after 4 years storage in a damp barn the stainless steel spokes have rusted badly. Honest! I'll
let you know how they get on with my wheels, all being well I'll race with them at the opening
meeting of the Reading track league next Monday.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:59:55 +0100, contributor Colin Blackburn had scribed:
> If you go to somewhere horrible like uk.net.news.config you can ask the Berkshire question. One of
> its more pedantic denizens will answer insistently that Berks doesn't exist in any way, shape or
> form and has no definable borders. In certain legal respects he is right but on the whole I think
> he's wrong. I'm running in Berkshire at the weekend so I hope I'm right in thinking he's wrong.

There is Slough (which used to be Bucks then Berks), Windsor and Maidenhead, Bracknell Forest,
Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire.

Political its all gone unitary local government like the metropolitan counties some of the county
level resources (like fire service and possibly ambulance service may be retained at the old county
level if not merged with that of a neighbouring county, police in Berkshire is Thames Valley).

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.