Recommended tyre pressure

Discussion in 'Track Racing' started by Larry Stanley, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Larry Stanley

Larry Stanley New Member

Hello,

I've just put 28mm types on my road bike. (Yay!). There is a pressure range on the sidewalls (Max of 95lbs).

I ride on primarily well paved roads in Texas and weigh approximately 210 lbs (95kg).

What would be a good pressure to start with?

I'm new in this forum, I am a consultant and have worked with multiple firms
    You can check School solutions Video one of my work.

Thanks!!

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Start with the max. Lower in 5% stages until desired comfort and handling characteristics is reached.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

No, you do not start at max and work your way down.

Tire pressure is dependent upon the total weight that is on each tire, this is not difficult to figure out because nowadays it's on the computer; see: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html Simply enter your clothed for cycling body weight plus the weight of your bike also ready to ride including full water bottles; enter the total in the second calculator locate right below the first one; next enter your tire size for front and rear and BOOM you have your tire pressure close to the idea PSI. By close I mean you can vary it by up to 5 pounds plus or minus depending on how you like to ride. If you find after you entered that info that the recommended PSI is higher then the max psi on the sidewall then your tire is too narrow for your weight and thus the tire is not capable of handling the load and need to go up one size. This is not too much different than car tires, too little psi you get worse gas mileage, tire wears out faster, handling is compromised, too much PSI and gas mileage could go up but tires wear out faster and handling is compromised. This pressure is related to a proven science that has been known for at least 40 years that I know of, the premise is that the correct psi must allow the tire to deflect 15 percent beneath the rider and bike weight

If you put the max PSI printed on the sidewall and you only weigh 150 pounds the tire will be too firm and you'll actually lose watts unless your riding on a super smooth velodrome track, handling is compromised, tire will wear out faster; you can also lose watts if you have too low of pressure not to mentioned the increased risk to snake bite flats, dangerous handling, and tire will wear out faster.

The only change that needs to be made in the PSI is when it's raining and the roads are wet, that will require a 10% decrease in whatever the idea pressure you came up with. On wet roads you need a bit more pressure reduced to allow more rubber contact with the road.