Record Carbon Crank: Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PeterF, Feb 10, 2009.

1. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I was attempting to remove a pedal from the non drive side crank arm of my 2006 Record carbon crankset for some regular maintanence/lube. The pedal required a bit of force to loosen and when I turned it I noticed that it wasn't the pedal coming loose, but the brass bushing seemed to be unthreading from the carbon arm. It took some force to move it and, I quickly reversed direction and tighented the bushing back to a flush postition. It seemed very snug in there and required a pretty good amount of force to move it at all, but this is a tad unsettling. At some point I may need to actually remove the pedal, but also I don't want this think to come loose at the worst possible time. Has anyone else had this happen to their campy carbon cranks? Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

No repair, warranty. We've seen it a couple of times. 3 year warranty.

3. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Ouch.. ebay purchase..

Is there a repair option? it seems to be pretty snug in there. Is it threaded into the carbon?

4. Peter@vecchios

Ya can try to JB weld it in there. Yes, metal insert into the carbon.

5. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I do have some JB. I'll give it a try. I don't want to unthread it too much, but I think I can get some in there. Thanks.

6. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Just help me with my ignorance but what is JB weld?

7. Peter@vecchios

http://www.jbweld.net/index.php

Stuff we use, 2 tubes, mix equal amounts, lather on, hold together, let dry, hooked together forever, pretty much.

8. youhaditcoming

youhaditcoming New Member

did you put grease on the pedal or crank thread when installing ? I'd like to know because that is stated on the installing instructions, but a mechanic told me not to, because with grease on it you can overtighten the pedal. I would go with grease when installing.. Any thoughts ?

9. Camilo

Camilo New Member

A brand of two part epoxy.

10. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I used a tiny bit on the threads but not so much that it would spill over on to the carbon. The pedal is a Speedplay X2 which doesn't give you a lot for the wrench to grip, so when installing them I would have been careful to make sure the wrench wouldn't slip and scratch the carbon.

11. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I have always taken a dim view of the claims that you can overtighten anything that has grease on it. And if this is a concern, one can always purchase a torque wrench, which really should be part of the tool kit for anyone who owns a CF bike. Actually, I would suggest that one use anti-seize compound rather than regular grease. It will stay in place longer.