Record Delta brakes

Special ed

Jul 23, 2005
Anybody remember the Delta brakeset? I lusted after these for years, but by the time I could afford them they were long gone. :_ (

I've got a pair! They came with a 1992/1993 Campag record groupset (the first one I ever could afford).

A real pain to set up becuase of all the adjustment possibilities but beautiful to look at and mighty fine in use too.

Downsides - a little heavy, the cover plate falls off very occassionally, to adjust them you need a 3.5mm allen key - not easy to find if you loose the one that comes with the brakes.

ahhh nostalgia.

On the same subject, anyone remember the earlier large flange record hubs - what a beautiful piece of kit!

Cheers

Got two wheelsets with Campy high flange Record hubs. Still beautiful, 30 years later, and still spin smooth. One set still has the old arc-en-ciel tubular rims, the other has modern Mavic clinchers, although the old Weinmann tubie rims came with them. 3 cross spoke lacing, these are very smooth riding wheels.

I see the Delta brakes on ebay from time to time, and they still command a healthy price. Two other old Campy items that sell for a lot - the steel cage pedals, and gum brake hoods, if they're preserved and not dry rotted.

This old Campy gear just doesn't wear out if it's cared for. Obsolete as all get out, but it still works.

A little before my time, but still cool. The other day I saw a Merlin on top of a car with full original C-Record. I don't know how I managed to not trip crossing the street. :)

They were very heavy, difficult to cut the cables, but beautiful to look at. I still use a circa 1984 pair of record cranks on my work bike which goes to prove the longevity of Campag equipment. There are still places where this stuff can be bought new. Also have a pair of large flange track hubs on Assos rims from the 80's. Had some Arc-en-Ceils but they were very soft and wore out very quickly. have still kept my old lo-pro with 24 inch front wheel and Aero Gran Compe brakes(hopeless for stopping but look so aero). Often tempted to rebuild and try to race on. Ah the memories....

I have a lugged Columbus steel 1991 Serotta Colorado II with a complete Campy C record group including the delta brakes. They provide excellent stopping power on par with cantilever brakes. Their beauty (if not their slight weight penalty) draws admiration from many riders.

www.campyoldy.com currently has a delta brake set listed but it is Croce d'Aune not Record, but I understand that this is right up there with Record. (kind of = to modern day Chorus). Other sights that have had them in the past, but not right now are Vintage Velos http://www.vintagevelos.com/parts1.html, and the Ebay store bananna_brain. You might also put a "wanted" post on the Classic Rendezvous website http://www.classicrendezvous.com/ or check some of their listed sellers.

If and when you get them I'd suggest covering the back caliper cover plate with a triangular cut piece of Mylar packing tape to keep it from being sandblasted by dirt from the back wheel.

My first "real" road bike was a Guerciotti with Athena and a Chorus rear d. The pedals were beautiful, sort-of aerodynamic, clips and straps. We didn't have a good LBS, so I used to literally wear out my Nashbar catalogs looking at the Campy stuff!