Record Speed, tour stage 19

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Geoff Willingst, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. To break the record for an ITT in the TDF Jan must average above 33.892 miles per hour.

    Tomorrow's stage is 30.45 miles, meaning Jan must finish under 53 minutes, 55 seconds.

    Tags:

  2. Rz

    Rz Guest

    Lance will take it.

    "Geoff Willingston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To break the record for an ITT in the TDF Jan must average above 33.892 miles per hour.
    >
    > Tomorrow's stage is 30.45 miles, meaning Jan must finish under 53 minutes, 55 seconds.

  3. Keith

    Keith Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:33:26 GMT, "Geoff Willingston" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >To break the record for an ITT in the TDF Jan must average above 33.892 miles per hour.
    >
    >Tomorrow's stage is 30.45 miles, meaning Jan must finish under 53 minutes, 55 seconds.

    I say he does it and puts between 1'00" and 1'20" on Lance

  4. Mr. Toast

    Mr. Toast Guest

    Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:33:26 GMT, "Geoff Willingston" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >To break the record for an ITT in the TDF Jan must average above 33.892 miles per hour.
    > >
    > >Tomorrow's stage is 30.45 miles, meaning Jan must finish under 53 minutes, 55 seconds.
    >
    > I say he does it and puts between 1'00" and 1'20" on Lance

    You would think that after five years the Lance doubters would finally learn their lesson.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, lardontoa[email protected] (Mr.
    Toast) wrote:

    > Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:33:26 GMT, "Geoff Willingston" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >To break the record for an ITT in the TDF Jan must average above 33.892 miles per hour.
    > > >
    > > >Tomorrow's stage is 30.45 miles, meaning Jan must finish under 53 minutes, 55 seconds.
    > >
    > > I say he does it and puts between 1'00" and 1'20" on Lance
    >
    > You would think that after five years the Lance doubters would finally learn their lesson.

    Eventually, they will be right. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that. Probably not this year.

  6. Mr. Toast

    Mr. Toast Guest

    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mr.
    > Toast) wrote:
    >
    > > Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > I say he does it and puts between 1'00" and 1'20" on Lance
    > >
    > > You would think that after five years the Lance doubters would finally learn their lesson.
    >
    > Eventually, they will be right. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that. Probably not
    > this year.

    The broken clock is right twice a day theory, eh?

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mr.
    Toast) wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mr. Toast)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > You would think that after five years the Lance doubters would finally learn their lesson.
    > >
    > > Eventually, they will be right. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that. Probably not
    > > this year.
    >
    > The broken clock is right twice a day theory, eh?

    Pretty much.

    Lance did not look terribly strong compared to his opposition this year, but unlike last year, there
    were some concerted efforts to attack him (many, alas, by riders with no TT ability, and of course
    the absence of challenges from Beloki and Hamilton diminished the danger of his competition). It's
    hard to say whether he is experiencing the typical failing of skill of most GC riders around his
    age, or whether he was just having a bad year.

    That said, against numerous challengers including the formidable Jan, Lance has done enough (touch
    wood) to win. That seems to be a hallmark of his riding, that unlike the all-destroying Cannibal
    Merckx, for example, Lance always does just enough to get to his highly-focused goal of wearing
    yellow on the final podium in Paris.