Record v. Sigma v. Nemesis v. SSC

dsb137

Sep 13, 2006
I know this is digging up some seriously old tech., but being that I've noticed a rise in the interest level of what I call wheels, I was wondering if someone would be able to comment on the suitability of old school tub rims for modern drive trains. Are any of these rims preferential? How would you rank them? Or should they be relegated to resto projects only? Any appreciable difference in using 32h v. 36h ?

Thx,
Dave

dsb137 said:
I know this is digging up some seriously old tech., but being that I've noticed a rise in the interest level of what I call wheels, I was wondering if someone would be able to comment on the suitability of old school tub rims for modern drive trains. Are any of these rims preferential? How would you rank them? Or should they be relegated to resto projects only? Any appreciable difference in using 32h v. 36h ?

Thx,
Dave

I have a wheelset with Record Sigma Pave rims. Have built wheels with SSC. Some of the very best rims ever made. Campagnolo Record Sigma? Nemesis?

Sigma are about 40 grams lighter. Not sure what Nemesis are.

All things being equal, 36 spokes are stronger than 32 with only about 30 gram weight addition.

Peter@vecchios said:
I have a wheelset with Record Sigma Pave rims. Have built wheels with SSC. Some of the very best rims ever made. Campagnolo Record Sigma? Nemesis?

Sigma are about 40 grams lighter. Not sure what Nemesis are.

All things being equal, 36 spokes are stronger than 32 with only about 30 gram weight addition.

Sigma Pave' and Record Strada is what I have... I think they made Record Pave's as well, previous to the sigma series if memory serves... The Nemesis (quoted at 430g... ) are the current rim du jour from Ambrosio for the cobbles as favored by Boonen et al... Can still be had new, but I don't know how they compare to the Sigma Pave', or the SSC...

dsb137 said:
Sigma Pave' and Record Strada is what I have... I think they made Record Pave's as well, previous to the sigma series if memory serves... The Nemesis (quoted at 430g... ) are the current rim du jour from Ambrosio for the cobbles as favored by Boonen et al... Can still be had new, but I don't know how they compare to the Sigma Pave', or the SSC...

Pave and SSC were heavier but really nice rims. The choice for P-R when they were made, late 80s, early 90s.

Hard to go wrong if they are new.

Peter@vecchios said:
Pave and SSC were heavier but really nice rims. The choice for P-R when they were made, late 80s, early 90s.

Hard to go wrong if they are new.

No problems with drive side spoke tension on a 10sp rear?

dsb137 said:
No problems with drive side spoke tension on a 10sp rear?

Drive side spoke tension is the same on a '10s' wheel as a 6/7s wheel. The left side is closer to the RH on a less dished wheel but the RH is the same, 100 KGF. What wheelbuilders have been building wheels with for decades.

Peter@vecchios said:
Drive side spoke tension is the same on a '10s' wheel as a 6/7s wheel. The left side is closer to the RH on a less dished wheel but the RH is the same, 100 KGF. What wheelbuilders have been building wheels with for decades.

Huh... Who says there's no good info on this interweb thingy... I guess all the uber high tension noise is coming from the low spoke count guys... And here I was worried about using my low profile rims with 32/36h and 10s dish...

I used to build a wheel or two decades ago... Can't say I've been building for decades though...

Thx!

I have a set of Campy Barcelona Tubies built on Record hubs. I don't have a lot to compare them to, but the rims are light, strong, and have an excellent braking surface. Sweet wheels...

dsb137 said:
Huh... Who says there's no good info on this interweb thingy... I guess all the uber high tension noise is coming from the low spoke count guys... And here I was worried about using my low profile rims with 32/36h and 10s dish...

I used to build a wheel or two decades ago... Can't say I've been building for decades though...

Thx!

Yer welcome and yes, low spoke count, paired spokes means high tension and when ya break a spoke..haul out that cell phone.

Love the old school tubies. I used to have a set of Mavic SSC tubies on the indestructable Mavic 501 hubset. Also a set of Campy Sigma tubies on Miche hubset. Both sets were comfortable, reliable, lightweight, strong and fast. I sold them both because the rear hubs had the thread-on sprockets and became obsolete when I moved beyond 7-8sp. My current set of tubies are Mavic GP4 on Dura-Ace 7700 hubset. Some of the best wheels I've ever come across.

SSC, Sigma, Nemesis, all excellent box section tubies.