Recovering from a Wreck (not just physically)

jhodder

Mar 3, 2004
I've been riding for about 6 months and have made steady progress to date. I've lost over 60 lbs (down to 6'2" 175lbs.) and can keep-up with competitive racers on rides. I've grown to love cycling and look forward all week to my weekend rides. My current problem is this:

Last weekend I was out with a large pack of racers that average in the mid-to-high 20mph for the 60 mile ride. After about 27 miles, there was a bad pileup in the group. I guess that two people went down hard near the middle of the pack taking others down with them. In the seconds before I hit them, I had slowed to approx. 20mph and braced myself so I was not as badly hurt.

I don't know how this type of a wreck compares, but it seemed bad to me. One guy hit his face hard on the pavement, and another was taken away on a stretcher. There was lots of blood, broken bikes, and panic. Luckily I rode away with some minor cuts, bruises, and a bruised rib. (To top it all off I got swiped by a car pulling into a grocery store on the way home)

Here's my problem... since the wreck, I have lost a lot of the joy I had for riding. The danger seems to have hit home, and I don't know how to deal with it psychologically. I have two kids under 5 and am questioning whether it is wise to take that type of risk for what is essentially a hobby.

How have the rest of you managed to deal with similar situations? How often does this type of wreck occur?

Please share your similar stories and advice (more how you dealt with it afterwards).

Thanks for your insight.

I have a friend whom is a Psychologist and he hates to fly. Everytime he gets on a plane he thinks that he will die. How does he handle this? Over time he has learnt to not 'trust his feelings'. While the fear is real (to him) there is no danger.

I say this with the upmost reverence - Welcome to life. Does the fear of flying stop you going on holiday (doing something not essential)? Do you fear that you could die in a car crash? Does that stop you driving to work? Life is full of some very real dangers - the only certainty in life is death. Don't let that stop you living though. Bike racing in the grand scheme of things is not dangerous. The are few deaths that occur due to bicycle racing. I'll be the first to agree with you that bike riders have been hit (and killed by motorist), however, many more people have died sat on their couch and taken by a heart attack that might well have been prevent (if you exclude the element of fate) by exercise - i.e. riding a bike!

Don't worry too much. Get back out there and re-discover you passion for the road.

I guess your crash was just another reminder to you of humanity.

Respectfully,

When possible avoid riding in the middle of a pack to better avoid this sort of thing. Not always possible, but may help some.

I have riden motorcycles for years and many of the safety techniques work for cycling too.

Mostly it is always scan ahead for potenial (sp?) threats. Try to have an avenue of excape. Get some sort of mirror so you can see behind you.

I would think the biggest threat to cyclist is cars not pay attention.

Just some random thoughts

Originally posted by jhodder
I've been riding for about 6 months and have made steady progress to date. I've lost over 60 lbs (down to 6'2" 175lbs.) and can keep-up with competitive racers on rides. I've grown to love cycling and look forward all week to my weekend rides. My current problem is this:

Last weekend I was out with a large pack of racers that average in the mid-to-high 20mph for the 60 mile ride. After about 27 miles, there was a bad pileup in the group. I guess that two people went down hard near the middle of the pack taking others down with them. In the seconds before I hit them, I had slowed to approx. 20mph and braced myself so I was not as badly hurt.

I don't know how this type of a wreck compares, but it seemed bad to me. One guy hit his face hard on the pavement, and another was taken away on a stretcher. There was lots of blood, broken bikes, and panic. Luckily I rode away with some minor cuts, bruises, and a bruised rib. (To top it all off I got swiped by a car pulling into a grocery store on the way home)

Here's my problem... since the wreck, I have lost a lot of the joy I had for riding. The danger seems to have hit home, and I don't know how to deal with it psychologically. I have two kids under 5 and am questioning whether it is wise to take that type of risk for what is essentially a hobby.

How have the rest of you managed to deal with similar situations? How often does this type of wreck occur?

Please share your similar stories and advice (more how you dealt with it afterwards).

Thanks for your insight.

Sorry to hear about your injury.
The average speed of mid to high twenties is very very fast
(average stage speed in the TDF is 25mph) - even for a 60mile
ride.
Anyway, I'll set that aside.

It's decision time for you.
The longer you leave it to get back on the bike and start cycling the more difficult it will be for you to get back to the type of event that you crashed in.

However, you've got to prioritise what is most important for you.
Accidents can happen at any time - in the car, going for a walk.
The odds increase if you're more active ie taking part in races.

No one is going to criticise you if you do not take part in any further races (and crashes when they happen can be very un-nerving for everyone involved).

I'm afraid there is no simple answer.

I was run off the road by a car and broke my collar bone. Totally different type of wreck than piling up on a group of fallen riders, but it was still not good. You will be flenching and skiddish for a while for sure, but it will pass soon. Just keep a good lookout for potential accidents and stay out of groups with bad reps for wrecking. The first 3 crits I did there were wrecks in each one, all caused by the same team. I avoided the wrecks, and from then on avoided riding crits when that team was there. You just have to give it time. Remember the first time you hit 25 mph, and it was scary?? Then you hit 30, then 40, etc. Now 25 is a walk in the park! Just keep in mind that the probability of being involved in alot of wrecks is low, unless you play your cards wrong.

Well, as the others have said there is no easy answer. I suppose that when you come right down to it, life is never sweeter than when you are "hanging it out on the edge." This doen't imply recklessness but calculated risk. Ask you rock climbers and skydivers, what is in it for them.

Wear bright colors and protective clothing. You probably know this, but those who are seen by motorists are less likely to become hood ornaments. I have the good fortune of living in Tucson where there is an excellent system of bike lanes and shared park paths. If you can do so use them.

For me cycling is a lone sport. I never ride with others and take great pleasure in the solitude, free range of thought, and the revere of flyng through the wind. I'd like to incourage you to stay out of packs for a while and try it. Who knows, it may be the key to being a little less "gunshy".

Fear is the prerequisite of courage!

Ride well.................................Vinnie

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm already feeling the itch again, so there's no doubt that I'll be back in the saddle (actually I'm going to go out solo early tomorrow morning).

I'll probably be pretty gun-shy while riding in fast groups for a while, but will most likely do that again too. I spoke to someone else in the group from last weekend and he said that they very rarely have wrecks like the one I was in. He told me to try to stay near the front (easier said than done in a group that fast) in order to avoid the natural slingshots encountered at the back (I guess these create more chaotic riding?)

Anyway, thanks for the help...

Like everyone else said... relax, get back on the bike asap, and enjoy it. Maybe stay away from packs and group rides. You will be a little nervous for a while, but always think of what you are gaining, health wise (for the children!).

It is worth it!

I agree.. just get back in the saddle and let the wind fill your face with freedom. I also ride MTB and I always crash but that does not stop me from getting up and moving on. eventually you'll remember why you ride and not why not. that group crash doesn't happen often so just ease back in and have fun.