recovering from hard attacks.

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
best sort of training to help recover from mulitple attacks, sprints, jumps etc?

My winter was pretty good, but after the first road race of the year, I was really struggling with the recovery with attacks, jumps and hills...

Im a fairly good with jumps, sprints and short hills but I have been struggling with the repeatability of them this year.Its lactic and 'heavy legs'

For conditioning repeatability, is it intervals with same rest or shorter rest or shorter intervals?....

I have a 5km climb just down the road from my house :D about 1km from the top is a 150 meter section thats like a wall.

Once I get to this 'wall' I do 3 in the seat sprints in the 39x21 (sprint roll down, repete) At the top my HR is normally 96-98%

Now for the fun part, wack it in the big ring and drop it down to the 19 cog. Give it everything out of the seat, roll down repete in the 17 cog, roll down repete in the 16 cog. By this stage i'm pretty nailed, so the last three are done in the 53x19 cog. I then ride the rest of the way up the hill :D

I find after a month (or two) of doing this (with some longer 10-12km climbs thrown in for good measure on the weekends) I can follow any attack. What I like about the results is hills I was creeping up 2 weeks ago, I can now fly over in the big ring with ease.

Maybe ric will be able to suggest something else? This is just a workout i've used for years and always got great results from.

Originally posted by bikerjoe
best sort of training to help recover from mulitple attacks, sprints, jumps etc?

My winter was pretty good, but after the first road race of the year, I was really struggling with the recovery with attacks, jumps and hills...

Im a fairly good with jumps, sprints and short hills but I have been struggling with the repeatability of them this year.Its lactic and 'heavy legs'

For conditioning repeatability, is it intervals with same rest or shorter rest or shorter intervals?....

The high lactate that you feel after repeated efforts (attacks, sprints etc) are a twofold issue:
1) you need to increase your lactate threshold (both relative to your VO2 max and absolutely)

2) you need to increase your tolerance to lactate itself

Depending on your fitness level, 1 is increased with quality endurance training, repeated *long* intervals (~ 20-mins), and shorter, repeated high intensity intervals (4 - 5 mins).

Whereas 2 is increased with short, repeated, very high-intensity multi set intervals (e.g., 3sets of 3 x 30-secs). However, these should be attempted much later in your programme and closer to your most important events.

Finally, none of these will have an affect on the quality of your sprint (you'd need to do sprint training for that), but will help you recover from them at a faster rate.

Ric

Interesting manipulations of these intervals can be made:

*increaseing the rest between reps increases the quality/capacity of performance over efforts of a similar duration to the rep (i.e. you go further in the same time)

*reducing the rest between reps develops the 'fatigue resistance' both within an effort, but also between efforts (i.e. your perforamance doesn't drop off between repeated efforts).