recovering from radial head fracture

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Lundberg, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture. After
    being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still have some
    loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go bicycle riding for at
    least another four weeks. Does anybody else have experience in recovering from such a fracture,
    particularly as it relates to returning to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be
    helpful in reducing stresses on the elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).

    Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three days
    in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer. Only slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to assume
    that I must have fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally dangerous.

    One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and I'm
    always amazed at just how different I experience the landscape by the different modes of travel. In
    the last two days I've taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two
    reservoirs in the area along routes that I normally bicycle.

    One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I could bicycle and he replied
    "at least another four weeks", I then asked him how long after that that I could drive a car. He
    told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem - after all many people drive one handed (other hand
    using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he responded that
    I could probably drive two-handed. But I would still be concerned about having to make sudden turns
    of the wheel, making tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another topic. Any helpful hints
    regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.

    Chris Lundberg

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
    >
    >Chris Lundberg

    FInd yourself a Sports Doctor, someone familiar with the injury and with bicycling.

    jon isaacs

  3. > Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.

    >Chris Lundberg

    No hints - just want to wish you a complete recovery.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "Chris Lundberg"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    > After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still have
    > some loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go bicycle riding for
    > at least another four weeks. Does anybody else have experience in recovering from such a fracture,
    > particularly as it relates to returning to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be
    > helpful in reducing stresses on the elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).
    >
    > Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three
    > days in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer. Only slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to
    > assume that I must have fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally dangerous.
    >
    > One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and I'm
    > always amazed at just how different I experience the landscape by the different modes of travel.
    > In the last two days I've taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two
    > reservoirs in the area along routes that I normally bicycle.
    >
    > One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I could bicycle and he
    > replied "at least another four weeks", I then asked him how long after that that I could drive a
    > car. He told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem - after all many people drive one handed
    > (other hand using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he
    > responded that I could probably drive two-handed. But I would still be concerned about having to
    > make sudden turns of the wheel, making tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another
    > topic. Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
    >
    > Chris Lundberg

    I agree, tht really sucks. Lots of people around here have had all kinds of injuries from the ice.
    One guy came into spinning class with a cast on his arm, I am sure from a fall on the ice. Just take
    it easy and do everything you're supposed to do and you'll still get a good season. In the meantime,
    there's always the trainer and the gym!

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Chris Lundberg"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    > > After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still
    > > have some loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go
    bicycle
    > > riding for at least another four weeks. Does anybody else have
    experience
    > > in recovering from such a fracture, particularly as it relates to
    returning
    > > to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be helpful in reducing stresses on the
    > > elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).
    > >
    > > Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three
    > > days in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer.
    Only
    > > slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to assume that I must
    have
    > > fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally
    dangerous.

    > > One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and
    > > I'm always amazed at just how different I
    experience
    > > the landscape by the different modes of travel. In the last two days
    I've
    > > taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two reservoirs in the area
    > > along routes that I normally bicycle.
    > >
    > > One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I
    could
    > > bicycle and he replied "at least another four weeks", I then asked him
    how
    > > long after that that I could drive a car. He told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem -
    > > after all many people drive one handed (other
    hand
    > > using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he responded
    > > that I could probably drive two-handed. But I
    would
    > > still be concerned about having to make sudden turns of the wheel,
    making
    > > tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another topic. Any
    helpful
    > > hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
    > >
    > > Chris Lundberg
    >
    > I agree, tht really sucks. Lots of people around here have had all kinds of injuries from the ice.
    > One guy came into spinning class with a cast on his arm, I am sure from a fall on the ice. Just
    > take it easy and do everything you're supposed to do and you'll still get a good season. In the
    > meantime, there's always the trainer and the gym!

    Except for loading weights, it doesn't take a lot of arm to do squats on a machine. Have you asked
    about a trainer? Riding in the house is actually a better workout than riding outside, no matter how
    boring it can get.

    Mike

  6. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    >After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,

    WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

  7. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    >>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,

    >WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

    If radial head fracture means what I think it means, this is pretty humerus!
    --
    mac the naïf

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Jkpoulos7 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    >>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,
    >
    >WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

    Sounds like he should have been walking with a helmet strapped to his elbow. :)

    --Paul

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Alex Colvin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
    > >>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,
    >
    > >WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.
    >
    > If radial head fracture means what I think it means, this is pretty humerus!

    Badoomba!

  10. Provence0789

    Provence0789 Guest

    Hi Chris,

    I also just had 1 week ago a type I fracture of the radial head but it's in one piece. my harm was
    immobilized in a gutter cast which has been removed today docs said it´s crucial to start movements
    although the pain is there. I found it is very hard to flex more than 10%, rotation are also very
    limited, can´t even think about typing unless the keyboard is upside down... movements in warm water
    seems to help. For the first time since the bike accident I took anti-inflamatory pills and
    acetaminophen to help make movements. I like to know if at the beginning it was the same for you and
    what type of exercice you did. I am in Spain kind of travelling which makes things a bit harder but
    I am confident the bike will have no time to rust.

    thanks for any feedbacks and good luck with you.

    phil

  11. Ian Wright

    Ian Wright New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2003
    It's 3 months down the track now, how is the injury now? I ask as I suffered the same a 10 days ago I now have about 85% of all movement in my elbow however I cannot fully extend it, can extend 90 - 95 % and supernate/pronate ie, the rotation motions are limited to about 80% which is a pain as you cannot use your hand to collect cash change at the market. Currently I'm concentrating on passive - no weights exercise as the break is still knitting. Note to those on the helmut issue, I was cycling and wearing a helmut, my head is OK as result, but the helmut was destroyed - it saved me from a serious head injury - yep they save lives, no arguement here!

    Cheers,
    Ian W (Melbourne Australia)

  12. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > It's 3 months down the track now, how is the injury now? I ask as I suffered the same a 10 days
    > ago I now have about 85% of all movement in my elbow however I cannot fully extend it, can extend
    > 90 - 95 % and supernate/pronate ie, the rotation motions are limited to about 80% which is a pain
    > as you cannot use your hand to collect cash change at the market. Currently I'm concentrating on
    > passive - no weights exercise as the break is still knitting. Note to those on the helmut issue, I
    > was cycling and wearing a helmut, my head is OK as result, but the helmut was destroyed - it saved
    > me from a serious head injury - yep they save lives, no arguement here!
    >
    > Cheers, Ian W (Melbourne Australia)

    Don't be silly: they'll just say "it's anecdotal evidence" as to the effectiveness of helmets
    in crashes.

    I winced just reading this account. I hope you get better fast and don't gain weight.

    take care,

    Pat