recovering from radial head fracture

Chris Lundberg

Guest
I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture. After
being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still have some
loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go bicycle riding for at
least another four weeks. Does anybody else have experience in recovering from such a fracture,
particularly as it relates to returning to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be
helpful in reducing stresses on the elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).

Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three days
in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer. Only slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to assume
that I must have fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally dangerous.

One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and I'm
always amazed at just how different I experience the landscape by the different modes of travel. In
the last two days I've taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two
reservoirs in the area along routes that I normally bicycle.

One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I could bicycle and he replied
"at least another four weeks", I then asked him how long after that that I could drive a car. He
told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem - after all many people drive one handed (other hand
using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he responded that
I could probably drive two-handed. But I would still be concerned about having to make sudden turns
of the wheel, making tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another topic. Any helpful hints
regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.

Chris Lundberg

>Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
>
>Chris Lundberg

FInd yourself a Sports Doctor, someone familiar with the injury and with bicycling.

jon isaacs

> Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
>
>Chris Lundberg

No hints - just want to wish you a complete recovery.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, "Chris Lundberg"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
> After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still have
> some loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go bicycle riding for
> at least another four weeks. Does anybody else have experience in recovering from such a fracture,
> particularly as it relates to returning to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be
> helpful in reducing stresses on the elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).
>
> Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three
> days in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer. Only slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to
> assume that I must have fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally dangerous.
>
> One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and I'm
> always amazed at just how different I experience the landscape by the different modes of travel.
> In the last two days I've taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two
> reservoirs in the area along routes that I normally bicycle.
>
> One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I could bicycle and he
> replied "at least another four weeks", I then asked him how long after that that I could drive a
> car. He told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem - after all many people drive one handed
> (other hand using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he
> responded that I could probably drive two-handed. But I would still be concerned about having to
> make sudden turns of the wheel, making tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another
> topic. Any helpful hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
>
> Chris Lundberg

I agree, tht really sucks. Lots of people around here have had all kinds of injuries from the ice.
One guy came into spinning class with a cast on his arm, I am sure from a fall on the ice. Just take
it easy and do everything you're supposed to do and you'll still get a good season. In the meantime,
there's always the trainer and the gym!

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Chris Lundberg"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
> > After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely, but I still
> > have some loss of flexion/extension and my orthopedist tells me that I shouldn't go
bicycle
> > riding for at least another four weeks. Does anybody else have
experience
> > in recovering from such a fracture, particularly as it relates to
returning
> > to bicycling as soon as possible? Could using aerobars be helpful in reducing stresses on the
> > elbow? (I have no experience with aerobars).
> >
> > Not being able to bicycle, especially as spring finally seems to have arrived in the last three
> > days in NW Pennsylvania, is a major bummer.
Only
> > slightly less annoying is that everyone seemed to assume that I must
have
> > fallen while riding my bike as if bicycling were exceptionally
dangerous.

> > One good thing is that I've taken to walking many of my favorite cycling roads and routes and
> > I'm always amazed at just how different I
experience
> > the landscape by the different modes of travel. In the last two days
I've
> > taken walks of 21 km (13 mi) and 27 km (17 mi) out to and around two reservoirs in the area
> > along routes that I normally bicycle.
> >
> > One curious note is that after I asked the orthpedist how long until I
could
> > bicycle and he replied "at least another four weeks", I then asked him
how
> > long after that that I could drive a car. He told me that driving now shouldn't be a problem -
> > after all many people drive one handed (other
hand
> > using a cell phone)! I told him that I don't believe that that's a good idea, and he responded
> > that I could probably drive two-handed. But I
would
> > still be concerned about having to make sudden turns of the wheel,
making
> > tight turning radii, etc., but I guess that's another topic. Any
helpful
> > hints regarding returning to cycling are appreciated.
> >
> > Chris Lundberg
>
> I agree, tht really sucks. Lots of people around here have had all kinds of injuries from the ice.
> One guy came into spinning class with a cast on his arm, I am sure from a fall on the ice. Just
> take it easy and do everything you're supposed to do and you'll still get a good season. In the
> meantime, there's always the trainer and the gym!

Except for loading weights, it doesn't take a lot of arm to do squats on a machine. Have you asked
about a trainer? Riding in the house is actually a better workout than riding outside, no matter how
boring it can get.

Mike

>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,

WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

>>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
>>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,

>WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

If radial head fracture means what I think it means, this is pretty humerus!
--
mac the naïf

In article <[email protected]>, Jkpoulos7 <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
>>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,
>
>WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.

Sounds like he should have been walking with a helmet strapped to his elbow. :)

--Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Alex Colvin <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>I slipped on the ice (while walking) two weeks ago and suffered a type-I radial head fracture.
> >>After being immobilzed for about 4 days, my elbow seems to be recovering nicely,
>
> >WHERE WAS YOUR HELMET? Helmets save lives.
>
> If radial head fracture means what I think it means, this is pretty humerus!

Badoomba!

Hi Chris,

I also just had 1 week ago a type I fracture of the radial head but it's in one piece. my harm was
immobilized in a gutter cast which has been removed today docs said it´s crucial to start movements
although the pain is there. I found it is very hard to flex more than 10%, rotation are also very
limited, can´t even think about typing unless the keyboard is upside down... movements in warm water
seems to help. For the first time since the bike accident I took anti-inflamatory pills and
acetaminophen to help make movements. I like to know if at the beginning it was the same for you and
what type of exercice you did. I am in Spain kind of travelling which makes things a bit harder but
I am confident the bike will have no time to rust.

thanks for any feedbacks and good luck with you.

phil

Originally posted by Provence0789
Hi Chris,

I also just had 1 week ago a type I fracture of the radial head but it's in one piece. my harm was
immobilized in a gutter cast which has been removed today docs said it´s crucial to start movements
although the pain is there. I found it is very hard to flex more than 10%, rotation are also very
limited, can´t even think about typing unless the keyboard is upside down... movements in warm water
seems to help. For the first time since the bike accident I took anti-inflamatory pills and
acetaminophen to help make movements. I like to know if at the beginning it was the same for you and
what type of exercice you did. I am in Spain kind of travelling which makes things a bit harder but
I am confident the bike will have no time to rust.

thanks for any feedbacks and good luck with you.

phil

It's 3 months down the track now, how is the injury now? I ask as I suffered the same a 10 days ago I now have about 85% of all movement in my elbow however I cannot fully extend it, can extend 90 - 95 % and supernate/pronate ie, the rotation motions are limited to about 80% which is a pain as you cannot use your hand to collect cash change at the market. Currently I'm concentrating on passive - no weights exercise as the break is still knitting. Note to those on the helmut issue, I was cycling and wearing a helmut, my head is OK as result, but the helmut was destroyed - it saved me from a serious head injury - yep they save lives, no arguement here!

Cheers,
Ian W (Melbourne Australia)

x-no-archive:yes

> It's 3 months down the track now, how is the injury now? I ask as I suffered the same a 10 days
> ago I now have about 85% of all movement in my elbow however I cannot fully extend it, can extend
> 90 - 95 % and supernate/pronate ie, the rotation motions are limited to about 80% which is a pain
> as you cannot use your hand to collect cash change at the market. Currently I'm concentrating on
> passive - no weights exercise as the break is still knitting. Note to those on the helmut issue, I
> was cycling and wearing a helmut, my head is OK as result, but the helmut was destroyed - it saved
> me from a serious head injury - yep they save lives, no arguement here!
>
> Cheers, Ian W (Melbourne Australia)

Don't be silly: they'll just say "it's anecdotal evidence" as to the effectiveness of helmets
in crashes.

I winced just reading this account. I hope you get better fast and don't gain weight.

take care,

Pat