Recovery Drink Challenge: Endurox vs. Slim-Fast

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bianchidude, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Bianchidude

    Bianchidude Guest

    Have you ever wondered which is the better buy (or is it just my warped mind)? Is Endurox THAT much
    better than chugging down a cold Slim-Fast for recovery?

    Here's a quick comparison on nutritional value:

    Endurox Serving Size: 2 Rounded Scoops (74.08g) / 12 oz. Water (for 160 lb. Rider) Cost per
    serving:$2.10

    Slim-Fast Serving Size: 12 oz. Can Cost per serving: $0.66

    Endurox R4 Slim-Fast Calories 270 220 Calories From Fat 15 25 Total Fat 1g
    3g Saturated Fat 0g 1g Cholesterol 10mg 5mg Total Carbohydrate 53g 40g
    Sugars 29g 34g Protein 13g 10g Vitamin C 780% 100% Vitamin E 1330% 100%
    Calcium 10% 10% Magnesium 65% 35% Sodium 220mg 220mg Potassium 120mg 600mg

    There are some other amino acids that were listed that I didn't include, but this was the lion's
    share of the comparison.

    Am I missing something, or is Slim-Fast almost as good a recovery drink as Endurox?

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (BianchiDude) wrote in news:fdfb0444.0306181244.abe6003 @posting.google.com:
    > Endurox Serving Size: 2 Rounded Scoops (74.08g) / 12 oz. Water (for 160 lb. Rider) Cost per
    > serving:$2.10

    How do you figure $2.10 per serving? A 28 serving container costs about $25. Are you using
    designer water?

  3. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    I would think that a banana or 2 and a glass of water would be good. Cheap too.

    no fat, carbs are good, 29% protein, 1% fiber, potassium. etc etc.

    correct me if i am wrong.

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what [email protected] (BianchiDude) wrote :

    >Have you ever wondered which is the better buy (or is it just my warped mind)? Is Endurox THAT much
    >better than chugging down a cold Slim-Fast for recovery?
    >
    >Here's a quick comparison on nutritional value:
    >
    >Endurox Serving Size: 2 Rounded Scoops (74.08g) / 12 oz. Water (for 160 lb. Rider) Cost per
    >serving:$2.10
    >
    >Slim-Fast Serving Size: 12 oz. Can Cost per serving: $0.66
    >
    > Endurox R4 Slim-Fast Calories 270 220 Calories From Fat 15 25 Total Fat 1g
    > 3g Saturated Fat 0g 1g Cholesterol 10mg 5mg Total Carbohydrate 53g 40g
    > Sugars 29g 34g Protein 13g 10g Vitamin C 780% 100% Vitamin E 1330% 100%
    > Calcium 10% 10% Magnesium 65% 35% Sodium 220mg 220mg Potassium 120mg 600mg
    >
    >There are some other amino acids that were listed that I didn't include, but this was the lion's
    >share of the comparison.
    >
    >Am I missing something, or is Slim-Fast almost as good a recovery drink as Endurox?
    >
    >Dave

  4. Andresmuro

    Andresmuro Guest

    no brand granola bars are wonderful. a box of ten is usually under $2.00. A granola bar has between
    20 and 30 grams of carbo, depending on what you get and they are low in fat. A box of ten costs
    about the same as one power bar. I usually go to walgreens and get 10 to 20 boxes of granola bars
    and have nutrition to spare. If you are really cheap you can look for them at the dollar store or
    mac frugals.

  5. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    [email protected] (BianchiDude) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Have you ever wondered which is the better buy (or is it just my warped mind)? Is Endurox THAT
    > much better than chugging down a cold Slim-Fast for recovery?
    >
    > Here's a quick comparison on nutritional value:
    >
    > Endurox Serving Size: 2 Rounded Scoops (74.08g) / 12 oz. Water (for 160 lb. Rider) Cost per
    > serving:$2.10
    >
    > Slim-Fast Serving Size: 12 oz. Can Cost per serving: $0.66
    >
    > Endurox R4 Slim-Fast Calories 270 220 Calories From Fat 15 25 Total Fat 1g
    > 3g Saturated Fat 0g 1g Cholesterol 10mg 5mg Total Carbohydrate 53g 40g
    > Sugars 29g 34g Protein 13g 10g Vitamin C 780% 100% Vitamin E 1330% 100%
    > Calcium 10% 10% Magnesium 65% 35% Sodium 220mg 220mg Potassium 120mg 600mg
    >
    > There are some other amino acids that were listed that I didn't include, but this was the lion's
    > share of the comparison.
    >
    > Am I missing something, or is Slim-Fast almost as good a recovery drink as Endurox?
    >
    > Dave

    You are a menace to the great nation and constitution that protects you, an affront to all decent,
    G**-fearing people and a drain on the prosperity of right-minded citizens.

    If liberals like you had their way, commerce would be crippled. It is your DUTY, not only to believe
    advertising, but to act on it. If you had any sense of civic pride, you would try to find a MORE
    expensive option.

    If you want to eke out a bare existence sustained by mere food rather than by the vastly superior
    products of a technologically advanced biopharmaceutical industry, there are plenty of tinpot
    countries (most of them smaller than a WalMart parking lot) that would be willing to have you.

    Warning: this post may contain traces of nut.

  6. "AndresMuro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > no brand granola bars are wonderful. a box of ten is usually under
    $2.00. A
    > granola bar has between 20 and 30 grams of carbo, depending on what
    you get and
    > they are low in fat.

    Are you sure about the low-fat bit? Granolo is generally very high in fat. Take another look at
    the package.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  7. > You are a menace to the great nation and constitution that protects you, an affront to all decent,
    > G**-fearing people and a drain on the prosperity of right-minded citizens.
    >
    > If liberals like you had their way, commerce would be crippled. It is your DUTY, not only to
    > believe advertising, but to act on it. If you had any sense of civic pride, you would try to find
    > a MORE expensive option.
    >
    > If you want to eke out a bare existence sustained by mere food rather than by the vastly superior
    > products of a technologically advanced biopharmaceutical industry, there are plenty of tinpot
    > countries (most of them smaller than a WalMart parking lot) that would be willing to have you.
    >
    > Warning: this post may contain traces of nut.

    Finally the high priest of nutrition has emerged from our beloved newsgroup! With such a vast array
    of talented and spirited denizens, I knew a charismatic and highly charged nutritional super-being
    was just straining for the right moment in history and planetary alignment to sweep the cycling
    world clean of misconception and malnutrition.

    Endurox does seem to work rather well for me. I have never tried any of the meal in a can products.
    I wonder how dependent upon your personal body chemistry the success of such things like Endurox
    really are. Over the years, some folks have told me the stuff just doesn't work, while others love
    it. You know, all of these companies publish their own data, I truly wish there was some sort of
    really standardized test and evaluation system in this business. Too much of this stuff is so
    subjective...

    One woman told me she cannot use Endurox because it reacts with her hormone balance somehow. Has
    anyone encountered that kind of problem before?

    Bruce

  8. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    lol , i suppose it would if there were soy products in it. Perhaps that is where the protien
    comes from.

    take care Liz wondering what kind of "problem " it would cause.

    Hey! Look what "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote :

    >One woman told me she cannot use Endurox because it reacts with her hormone balance somehow. Has
    >anyone encountered that kind of problem before?
    >
    >Bruce

  9. [email protected] (BianchiDude) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Have you ever wondered which is the better buy (or is it just my warped mind)? Is Endurox THAT
    > much better than chugging down a cold Slim-Fast for recovery?

    I don't know about you but the idea of chugging down a cold slim-fast or Endurox doesn't do that
    much for me. When I raced, copious amounts of greasy pizza and beer was the most common and enjoyed
    recovery food.

    I read that Lance Armstrong weighs his carbohydrates and only eats enough to cover his caloric
    expendature. Perhaps he needs to do this but unless you are competing at his level than eat and
    drink what you enjoy; not some "engineered food" that tastes like something fed to senior citizens
    who can no longer masticate or digest real food.

    There are no primes for the racer who suffers the most for his sport.

    ride with the wind...
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  10. Actually, that part of my drivel was not a joke. The woman has a thyroid problem as well as some
    other hormonal problems and according to her reproductive endocrinologist, there is something in the
    Endurox formulation that causes some sort of imbalance in her system. I really don't know any more
    details, but I did remember that difficulty a few years ago.

    Bruce

    "MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > lol , i suppose it would if there were soy products in it. Perhaps that
    is
    > where the protien comes from.
    >
    > take care Liz wondering what kind of "problem " it would cause.
    >

    > Hey! Look what "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote :
    >
    > >One woman told me she cannot use Endurox because it reacts with her
    hormone
    > >balance somehow. Has anyone encountered that kind of problem before?
    > >
    > >Bruce

  11. "Bruce Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I read that Lance Armstrong weighs his carbohydrates and only eats enough to cover his caloric
    > expendature. Perhaps he needs to do this but unless you are competing at his level than eat and
    > drink what you enjoy; not some "engineered food" that tastes like
    something
    > fed to senior citizens who can no longer masticate or digest real
    food.

    Senior citizens?

    I'm 37 or 38 and I use Ensure after races a lot -- it goes down easy, has lots of carbs and protein,
    and stores well while travelling.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  12. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Hey, not sure about granolo, but the granola bars that I get are reasonably low in fat and calories.
    I try to go for the low fat oatmeal rasin, with 28 grams of carbo. and 110 calories. Don't remembe
    the exact amount of fat, but very low.

    Andres

    > "AndresMuro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > no brand granola bars are wonderful. a box of ten is usually under
    > $2.00. A
    > > granola bar has between 20 and 30 grams of carbo, depending on what
    > you get and
    > > they are low in fat.
    >
    > Are you sure about the low-fat bit? Granolo is generally very high in fat. Take another look at
    > the package.
    >
    > JT

  13. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    I guess my imagination was running away... when i hear hormones i think menopause ... and that can
    mean anything from super horney or super bitchy and everything in between.

    No offense was intended.

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote :

    >Actually, that part of my drivel was not a joke. The woman has a thyroid problem as well as some
    >other hormonal problems and according to her reproductive endocrinologist, there is something in
    >the Endurox formulation that causes some sort of imbalance in her system. I really don't know any
    >more details, but I did remember that difficulty a few years ago.
    >
    >Bruce

  14. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    > I'm 37 or 38 and I use Ensure after races a lot -- it goes down easy, has lots of carbs and
    > protein, and stores well while travelling.

    How old were you when you started forgetting your age? :)

  15. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    ... Reminds me of SNL ... "It's a dessert topping"... "No it's a floor wax!" "Wait it's both!"

    NS

  16. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Senior citizens?

    > I'm 37 or 38 and I use Ensure after races a lot -- it goes down easy, has lots of carbs and
    > protein, and stores well while travelling.

    What do you mean by "use" Ensure? What do you "use" it for? Lubing your chain? Instead of slime to
    seal punctures? Lets assume that you mean drink when you say "use." Would drinking your Ensure be
    just too pedestrian? Since cycling is serious business instead of drinking a beverage you are using
    a recovery drink, right?

    I can think of a dozen things I'd rather consume after a hard day of riding than a can of Ensure.
    Would a baked potato, spaghetti, pizza, or bean burritos be that bad? I guess they wouldn't be
    serious enough for real competitors.

    After the ride I want a hot meal, not a can of bland engineered nutrition sports drink or equally
    bad geriatric products.

    ride with the wind...
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  17. Us

    Us Guest

    I'm 40 and only use imported dark beer as a recovery drink.......

    Bruce Jackson wrote:

    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >>Senior citizens?
    >

    >>I'm 37 or 38 and I use Ensure after races a lot -- it goes down easy, has lots of carbs and
    >>protein, and stores well while travelling.
    >

    > What do you mean by "use" Ensure? What do you "use" it for? Lubing your chain? Instead of slime to
    > seal punctures? Lets assume that you mean drink when you say "use." Would drinking your Ensure be
    > just too pedestrian? Since cycling is serious business instead of drinking a beverage you are
    > using a recovery drink, right?
    >
    > I can think of a dozen things I'd rather consume after a hard day of riding than a can of Ensure.
    > Would a baked potato, spaghetti, pizza, or bean burritos be that bad? I guess they wouldn't be
    > serious enough for real competitors.
    >
    > After the ride I want a hot meal, not a can of bland engineered nutrition sports drink or equally
    > bad geriatric products.
    >
    > ride with the wind...
    > --
    > Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  18. "Bruce Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I can think of a dozen things I'd rather consume after a hard day of riding than a can of Ensure.
    > Would a baked potato, spaghetti, pizza, or bean burritos be that bad?

    All those foods you mention are fine. But the problem with them for me is that they don't travel
    well. I'm often driving and riding to races, leaving a bag in a car on a hot day or a bag on the
    ground with a race I ride too, don't always have access to a cooler or refrigerator or ice, etc.
    It's far, far easier to take care of post-race recovery needs by having a sealed can of a drink
    like Ensure in my bag or car. No worries about spoiling. (In fact, I often have a bunch in the car
    just in case. They keep for months.) Then, an hour or so later after cleaning up I can go and get
    solid food.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  19. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I would be willing to believe that somewhere there's a better, cheaper recovery drink than Endurox,
    homemade or not. I've yet to find it though. I've tried numerous others, and for me nothing works
    better; I only wish it was cheaper. I only buy about 2 or 3 large containers a year, and I don't use
    it constantly. Try using it two weeks on, two weeks off. You do need to use it regularly to really
    notice the effects, but after a few rides there is a marked difference, with me at least. Greg
    "MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I would think that a banana or 2 and a glass of water would be good.
    Cheap
    > too.
    >
    > no fat, carbs are good, 29% protein, 1% fiber, potassium. etc etc.
    >
    > correct me if i am wrong.
    >
    > take care Liz
    >

    > Hey! Look what [email protected] (BianchiDude) wrote :
    >
    > >Have you ever wondered which is the better buy (or is it just my warped mind)? Is Endurox THAT
    > >much better than chugging down a cold Slim-Fast for recovery?
    > >
    > >Here's a quick comparison on nutritional value:
    > >
    > >Endurox Serving Size: 2 Rounded Scoops (74.08g) / 12 oz. Water (for 160 lb. Rider) Cost per
    > >serving:$2.10
    > >
    > >Slim-Fast Serving Size: 12 oz. Can Cost per serving: $0.66
    > >
    > > Endurox R4 Slim-Fast Calories 270 220 Calories From Fat 15 25 Total Fat 1g 3g Saturated Fat 0g
    > > 1g Cholesterol 10mg 5mg Total Carbohydrate 53g 40g Sugars 29g 34g Protein 13g 10g Vitamin C
    > > 780% 100% Vitamin E 1330% 100% Calcium 10% 10% Magnesium 65% 35% Sodium 220mg 220mg Potassium
    > > 120mg 600mg
    > >
    > >There are some other amino acids that were listed that I didn't include, but this was the lion's
    > >share of the comparison.
    > >
    > >Am I missing something, or is Slim-Fast almost as good a recovery drink as Endurox?
    > >
    > >Dave

  20. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:47:46 -0700, "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would be willing to believe that somewhere there's a better, cheaper recovery drink than Endurox,
    >homemade or not. I've yet to find it though.

    Generic orange soda, ice, and vanilla whey protein powder

    Apple juice, vanilla whey protein powder, blueberries and strawberries.

    Orange juice, banana, vanilla whey protein powder.

    Root beer, low-fat vanilla ice cream, vanilla whey protein powder.

    --
    Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
    top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen