Recovery drinks

I start training with one bottle of isostar or anything similar and one bottle of water! But since I used up my last isotonic I`m starting training just with water and some vitamin powder (we have it for mixing with water at home because it`s more tasteful) in them! I think isotonic is not so important! And when I drink both bottles I`m continuing just with water which I get from mountain spring or in a restaurant or bar by road..

While racing is the same! Starting with one bottle of maltodex, adhoc, enervit (depends of what is in the team car) and one of water! And of course with carbogel!

After hard trainings and races I drink Massive whey gainer from Ultimate nutrition! I think it`s indispensable!

Yes, it gives energy (fructose, dextrose, maltodexin, ...)! And it`s very easy to use! You just squeeze it, drink some water on it and that`s all!

sam218 said:
What drinks do you use while racing/training or after rides?
Accelerade while training or racing, Endurox afterward, but only after a good training ride or after a race. After a recovery ride I don't worry about a post-workout recovery drink. On a very hot day you will need to drink more, a bottle of water helps in that regard.

I use 2 cups of nonfat milk for 20 grams of protien and enough table sugar (5 table spoons!!!) to get 50 grams of carbs. But only drink this withing the first hour after finishing your workout

emailcone said:
I use 2 cups of nonfat milk for 20 grams of protien and enough table sugar (5 table spoons!!!) to get 50 grams of carbs. But only drink this withing the first hour after finishing your workout
Yikes, that's a lot of pure sugar! Why don't you eat a couple pieces of whole grain bread to get the carbohydates in a complex form?

Metrx or if I am being cheap carnation breakfast drink mixed with milk, yogurt and a lot of ice. Sometimes I will add a Bannana or a cup of coffee.

li0scc0 said:
Yikes, that's a lot of pure sugar! Why don't you eat a couple pieces of whole grain bread to get the carbohydates in a complex form?
Before riding/training/racing, it is important to fuel with carbs with a low 'GI'(complex form), because this way the release is slower, however, after riding/training/racing, the desired effect is to get the replenishment the the stores ASAP so it is more efficient to use carbs with a high 'GI'(simple form).

AndROOb said:
Before riding/training/racing, it is important to fuel with carbs with a low 'GI'(complex form), because this way the release is slower, however, after riding/training/racing, the desired effect is to get the replenishment the the stores ASAP so it is more efficient to use carbs with a high 'GI'(simple form).

research that has looked at this (high v's low GI, or simple v's complex carbs) prior to exercise hasn't found this to be true (a lowering of blood glucose and exercise impairment prior to exercise).

It's also not true that high GI is equal to simple carbohydrates (or that low GI = complex carbs)

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
research that has looked at this (high v's low GI, or simple v's complex carbs) prior to exercise hasn't found this to be true (a lowering of blood glucose and exercise impairment prior to exercise).

It's also not true that high GI is equal to simple carbohydrates (or that low GI = complex carbs)

ric
So your conclusion is.....?

ric_stern/RST said:

ric
I accept that I should not have related simple/complex and high GI/low GI carbohydrates as being the same.
I have looked and found 2 other papers online with tried and tested results showing high GI carbohydrates are a good way to replenish glycogen stores AFTER exercise.

ric_stern/RST said:
my conclusion on what? i'm not sure what you're questioning?

ric

he's probably asking about your conclusion regarding the most optimal intake of carbs pre and post riding

Clark six8 said:
he's probably asking about your conclusion regarding the most optimal intake of carbs pre and post riding

research has shown that 1g of carb per kg body mass per hour prior to exercise is the most ergogenic. post exercise, recovery is quickened with 1.5 g of carb per kg body mass.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
research has shown that 1g of carb per kg body mass per hour prior to exercise is the most ergogenic. post exercise, recovery is quickened with 1.5 g of carb per kg body mass.

ric

Thanks much....this is helpful info.

ric_stern/RST said:
my conclusion on what? i'm not sure what you're questioning?

ric
I'm not questioning you, I'm looking for the practical application of this information. If what you say is true, then what does it mean for the cyclist with respect to pre-ride sustenance, and post-ride replenishment?

li0scc0 said:
I'm not questioning you, I'm looking for the practical application of this information.

Towards the end of todays training in the mountains, all i could think was "i must get home and have something tasty!".

once home, i set up a pan of boiling, salted water, and in another pan i heated a spoon of extra virgin olive oil. to that i added 2 cloves of thinly sliced garlic which i gently heated for several minutes. once softened, i added salt, pepper, and a good lot of dried basil. i heated for a couple of mins, and while that was heating i got 4 plum tomatoes out of a tin, roughly chopped them and added them to the garlic and oil.

i added 150g (dry weight) of pasta to the boiling water.

with a couple of minutes to go (prior to pasta finishing), to the garlic and tomato mix, i added a good glug of quality balsamic vinegar and let it heat through.

drained the pasta and poured the tomato/garlic/balsamic vinegar mix on top. i grated some parmigiano-reggiano on top with freshly ground black pepper.

hey presto, 20ish mins after i got in i was tucking into a great meal. high in carbs with small amount of protein, and fat. quality

ric