Recovery drinks

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
Best sort of recovery drinks in everybodys opinion.I used to always use Isostar, directly after training and races as well as eating some carbs and protein shortly after(within 20mins)

I have being trying using maxim(carb and electrolyte) but mixing it with some whey protein, so that im getting carbs,protein and replacing lost minerals as well.(tastes pretty strange tho).

Whats everyones post training/racing feed?

Just water and a high carbohydrate meal just before I get home. As I have a good nutritional strategy during riding I'm not overly concerned with using 'playing' with nutrition for recovery.

I get on with up to a litre of Energade directly after the ride (dunno if u get that outside of S.A.??) - basically a straightforward carbohydrate and electrolyte blend.

If I'm feeling particularly poked I'll also eat a Fast Fuel bar, which is a fruit/carbo type thing that goes down easily.

If I'm still buggered then I give in and have a few beers, then I don't worry about how knackered I am ... :D

I use Biomax's ProtienMax. It is a mixture of 52% carbs and 46% protien. Don't need to eat anything after 750ml of this. It's thestuff the Barloworld and Minolta teams use. I don't think it's availble outside of SA.

I use Endurox R4. I dont know they call it the same name where you are. Its the one Carmichael helped develop.

No product better than ensure plus made by a drug company for cancer patients etc has everything you need we give to people who don't eat as a full meal replacemnt, have to water it down so you can assimilate it faster. Its a winner, no gut problems no big gas problem, also has fat in the product which we all need.

Its a winner I should be the rep!!!!!

I have no problems with my energy levels after races or training, however I suffer from slow recovery times. My legs hurt to touch for several days following training (particularly) and racing.
I have increased my protien intake, and eat primarily complex carbs.
My upper body is well built but feel that I am having trouble putting muscle on my legs.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before, suugestions anyone?

I usually don't feel like much afterwards, but I gulp down some water and Energade just to get the system back to normal.
As soon as I get home, I shower and then shoot off to the local pasta place.

When the legs are burning after a race, I will drink an XS Energy Drink - 0 Carbs, 0 Sugar, 8 Calories -- But packed with lots of adaptogenic herbs, and cuts the recovery time in half! I love it!

Many professional sports teams in the USA have been using this drink for their players as well...

I get it exclusively through my business, if anyone is interested, I can send you some info on it. Just thought I'd throw that out...

Later!

"Keep the rubber side down"

Originally posted by DiGGLeR
When the legs are burning after a race, I will drink an XS Energy Drink - 0 Carbs, 0 Sugar, 8 Calories -- But packed with lots of adaptogenic herbs, and cuts the recovery time in half! I love it!

Many professional sports teams in the USA have been using this drink for their players as well...

I get it exclusively through my business, if anyone is interested, I can send you some info on it. Just thought I'd throw that out...

Later!

"Keep the rubber side down"

These sorts of drinks are rubbish and don't help recovery. The WDA strongly warn against such supplements as they might have additional extras that can cause a positive dope test.

To improve your recovery, aim for very high glycaemic carbs with a small amount of protein

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
These sorts of drinks are rubbish and don't help recovery. The WDA strongly warn against such supplements as they might have additional extras that can cause a positive dope test.

To improve your recovery, aim for very high glycaemic carbs with a small amount of protein

Ric

Actually, you have no idea if it works or not, because you have never tried it (or even seen what it contains). Before you make a comment like that, why don't you make sure you know what you are talking about.

It is not a supplement, and the ingredients in the drink are all ok w/ the WDA. Just for your info ricstern.

I agree with you though w/ the high glycaemic carbs and a little protein also work well with recovery.

Originally posted by DiGGLeR
Actually, you have no idea if it works or not, because you have never tried it (or even seen what it contains). Before you make a comment like that, why don't you make sure you know what you are talking about.

It is not a supplement, and the ingredients in the drink are all ok w/ the WDA. Just for your info ricstern.

I agree with you though w/ the high glycaemic carbs and a little protein also work well with recovery.

I'm sorry but there is no good evidence to support the use of adoptogens.

My apologies if your supplement has been okayed by the WDA.
Ric

MGSuarez said:
I use Endurox R4. I dont know they call it the same name where you are. Its the one Carmichael helped develop.
I just searched for a thread
on recovery drinks and found
this reference to Endurox.

This stuff looks GREAT! I
have just recently been using
Gatorade since the temps this
summer have been over 110
degrees F in LA. But with 220
mg of salt and 120 of
potassium including protein
with 2+ grams of glutamine
per serving, I am down with
this stuff before I have even
tried it.

I may mix it with gatorade
anyway, and see how that
goes. Thanks for the tip!

Hi,

Herbal medicine is one of the oldest forms of healing and aiding the human body and mind and eliminating or alleviating human suffering. Hippocrates, one of the most famous philosophers and earliest proponents of natural medicine and herbal healing.

well i found that the best recovery drink ever is CHOCALATE MILK it works sooo well try it after ur next ride

Chocolate milk is low GI. It's ok for some people but not for most. I think it comes out to your needing to drink something like 17 cups of skim milk to get the full amount of carbs needed for a 200 pound athlete to recover. Let's hope you're not lactose intolerant.

ric_stern is right, high GI foods. Everything else is marketing. Endurox is not necessary at all. Having said that I use it because it's a good foundation for my recovery "portfolio" if you will. General guideline is 1 gram carb per pound of body weight (though I think that should probably be lean body weight) eaten within a 2 hour window, reasonably spaced out in time - I use 30 minute blocks.

After the first 2 hours I eat a reasonably balanced meal and then try to drink plenty of water and eat helthy the rest of the day. YMMV, good luck. It sometimes takes a long time to get it all down.

normZurawski said:
Chocolate milk is low GI. It's ok for some people but not for most. I think it comes out to your needing to drink something like 17 cups of skim milk to get the full amount of carbs needed for a 200 pound athlete to recover.
17 cups of skim milk would be 1462 Calories or 136 grams of protein and 204 grams of carbs. Chocolate skim milk has roughly double the Calories of plain skim mik, so you would be consuming around 3000 Calories. A 200 lb. athlete would do fine with 24 oz. of chocolate milk for a recovery drink.

Some chocolate milk has about a 4:1 carb to protein ratio if you believe in that Endurox B.S.

shrimpeater said:
well i found that the best recovery drink ever is CHOCALATE MILK it works sooo well try it after ur next ride
there was a study which proved choc milk is better than accelerade!
i go for graoe nuts dried fruit and whey protein with lemon amino acid powder sprinkle don top