Recovery drinks

ric_stern/RST said:
These sorts of drinks are rubbish and don't help recovery. The WDA strongly warn against such supplements as they might have additional extras that can cause a positive dope test.

To improve your recovery, aim for very high glycaemic carbs with a small amount of protein

Ric
I've spoken to a few sports nutritionalists who agree with Ric's standpoint on energy drinks/shakes - basically they are full of sh1t. I prefer to eat naturally high GI food and protein (3 or 4:1 ratio) within 2 hours of a race. The little bit of protein helps with the insulin response. Keep it natural!!!

DZ-015 said:
I've spoken to a few sports nutritionalists who agree with Ric's standpoint on energy drinks/shakes - basically they are full of sh1t. I prefer to eat naturally high GI food and protein (3 or 4:1 ratio) within 2 hours of a race. The little bit of protein helps with the insulin response. Keep it natural!!!
whats your call on recovery bars?

DZ-015 said:

there's no evidence supporting a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein

ric

jamesstout said:
whats your call on recovery bars?
I don't use 'recovery bars' as such so I can't really comment. I prefer to use organic cereal type bars with oats, dried fruit and honey. I tried a protein bar once and it tasted like sh1t.

ric_stern/RST said:
Just a personal preference...

I'm a 'listen to your body' type (if you hadn't guessed already););)

DZ-015 said:
I don't use 'recovery bars' as such so I can't really comment. I prefer to use organic cereal type bars with oats, dried fruit and honey. I tried a protein bar once and it tasted like sh1t.

Just a personal preference...

I'm a 'listen to your body' type (if you hadn't guessed already););)
any recepies?
as you can see form my homemade granola im an own recepies fan and i adore dried fruits especially cherries mmmmm

Brizza said:
I have no problems with my energy levels after races or training, however I suffer from slow recovery times. My legs hurt to touch for several days following training (particularly) and racing.
I have increased my protien intake, and eat primarily complex carbs.
My upper body is well built but feel that I am having trouble putting muscle on my legs.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before, suugestions anyone?
It's not about energy levels that need to be recovered. It's your muscles. I use muscle milk. It works for me. It tastes good too.

bikerjoe said:
Best sort of recovery drinks in everybodys opinion.I used to always use Isostar, directly after training and races as well as eating some carbs and protein shortly after(within 20mins)

I have being trying using maxim(carb and electrolyte) but mixing it with some whey protein, so that im getting carbs,protein and replacing lost minerals as well.(tastes pretty strange tho).

Whats everyones post training/racing feed?
Recent Studies at the Australian Institute of Sport have found that one of the best things to consume after a race or hard training ride is a Big M, or any other brand of Milkshake that you can buy at the servo on the way home. These drinks were found to have a good amount of both carbohyrdates and protein.
Cheap too!!

shrimpeater said:
well i found that the best recovery drink ever is CHOCALATE MILK it works sooo well try it after ur next ride
Love chocalate milk I just cant get it away form my kids. I think there are a few great products on the market with a good balance of carbs/protien in any ratio form 4/1 to 7/1 finding the one you like to drink and can afford is the right one for you.

He’s right.

I was talking to my nutritionist today and they said the best recovery drink was chocolate milk. USADA and WADA doesn’t like it either. It can make it show up positive and on some pro riders it did. The USADA and WADA have pretty grim restrictions so i would say stay with the basics. If you get anything make sure it is USADA or WADA approved. This is if you have to take drug tests.

I'm curious what about Soda?

I heard the carbonation helps it digest faster or something, even though the GI isnt too high.

And of course protein from a different source

I've been having chocolate milk made skim milk lately with the chocolate syrup, throwing in some glutamine along with it, It's about a 4:1 carb ratio with very very little fat.

ric_stern/RST said:

ric

Well that depends what you call evidence.

Typed in "post exercise recovery protein" into PubMed and a few research articles popped up on this topic. Not sure of the validity of testing etc. The one below does suggest that a carb protein ratio helps enhance glycogen resynthesis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16775553&query_hl=5&itool=pubmed_docsum

However the people conducting this concluded that, for this trial at least, there was no measurable gain in performance. There is also another article that compares a sports drink (carbs and electrolytes) to a carb-protein drink (at a 4:1 ratio) and also concluded that it improved the plasma glucose response, the insulin response, and caused a greater storage of muscle glycogen.

So to say there is no evidence is slightly erroneous.

That being said there was also an article that concluded that protein and amino acids when ingested with carbs made NO difference whatsoever.

Go figure.

Personally, post-exercise I like a skim milk iced coffee and some peanut butter toast! :D

ric_stern/RST said:

ric
There is for recovery nutrition (see below). There isn't for during-exercise nutrition. Skim chocolate milk works as well as, not better than, Endurox R4 (not Accelerade) for recovery. But Endurox R4 is dairy-free, contains L-glutamine and salts (electrolytes) that milk does not contain. And it's pretty damned convenient.

Nutrient timing was the big contribution by Ivy and Portman, not the actual recovery drink itself. The 15-45 minute window is most important.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=11897899&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=9694422

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=12617691

The above study is newer than their prior study that found the opposite findings. That one gets cited by non-believers more than this one. I wonder why?

Recoverite from Hammer nutrion works very well and has the not so unpleasent protein taste so many recovery drinks have very easy to drink...