recovery for a broken wrist

tumbleweed77

Aug 27, 2006
i was unfortunate and had a clumbsy moment out in a forest and broke my wrist... I had a complete fracture of the radius and 6 weeks later my doctor identified 2 fractures of the radius on the joint surface. This coming week will be 8 weeks casted... I have high hopes for getting the cast off all together in 1. 5 weeks (he gave no promises). I was wondering if any of you have suffered the same fate and might share their rehab timelines... while i'll get my own timeline shortly from my doc I was wondering if you were allowed on the bike after getting the cast off or if you had to wait even longer. How long did it take to get your overall strength back? While I have a trainer set up, i haven't been on it much as i'm trying to still recover from menisus repair and an mcl tear and a possible second menisus tear. im not worried about getting back into shape... after being off the bike for 13 weeks for the knee injuries it only takes 1-2 months to make a great comeback... but i just want to ride again. thanks!

tumbleweed77 said:
i was unfortunate and had a clumbsy moment out in a forest and broke my wrist... I had a complete fracture of the radius and 6 weeks later my doctor identified 2 fractures of the radius on the joint surface. This coming week will be 8 weeks casted... I have high hopes for getting the cast off all together in 1. 5 weeks (he gave no promises). I was wondering if any of you have suffered the same fate and might share their rehab timelines... while i'll get my own timeline shortly from my doc I was wondering if you were allowed on the bike after getting the cast off or if you had to wait even longer. How long did it take to get your overall strength back? While I have a trainer set up, i haven't been on it much as i'm trying to still recover from menisus repair and an mcl tear and a possible second menisus tear. im not worried about getting back into shape... after being off the bike for 13 weeks for the knee injuries it only takes 1-2 months to make a great comeback... but i just want to ride again. thanks!
So you were recovering from meniscus and mcl problems and you were out in the forest... Why? I can understand the overwhelming desire to get back on the bike but dude, no... Stay off the bike until you're sufficiently well enough unless the doc tells you it's all good and then clarify how hard you're "allowed" to go.

2 years ago I had to have pins in my hand and a bone graft, I was riding lightly after 8 weeks and some pt, but I think I wasn't really ready to tackle hills, high speeds, or anything technical until about 12 weeks after surgery. If you're not doing PT, get some silly putty and play with it with that hand and work on your grip.

However, what worked for me might not work for you so wait until your doctor says it's safe for you to ride.

tumbleweed77 said:
Yeah go for it. The world needs more heroes IMO. If you are super lucky the fractures will enter the joint good and proper and you will end up with chronic arthritis. Fractures closer to any head amplify your risks. Muliple fractures needless to say compound the situation - best you hope they be the hairline variety.