Recovery from broken ribs.

Bikerman2004

Jul 24, 2004
I broke 4 ribs about 2 months ago. It has been tough to get going again. I can ride but not hard. Is this normal? Am I pushing getting back on the bike to soon?

Rib injuries take time to recover from.

The fact that your lungs expand when you breathe, will make you feel uncomfortable until such time as your ribs fully heal.

Obviously cycling requires you to breath more - thus if there is any anomaly in your ribs, you'll experience discomfort.
Also the fact that you thoraic cavity is constricted (when sitting in a cycling position) doesn't help.

limerickman said:
Rib injuries take time to recover from.

The fact that your lungs expand when you breathe, will make you feel uncomfortable until such time as your ribs fully heal.

Obviously cycling requires you to breath more - thus if there is any anomaly in your ribs, you'll experience discomfort.
Also the fact that you thoraic cavity is constricted (when sitting in a cycling position) doesn't help.
The ribs definitely feel constrained. Is it something that will go away with time?
I've never broken anything before so I'm not sure what to expect. Good to hear from you Lim.

Bikerman2004 said:
The ribs definitely feel constrained. Is it something that will go away with time?
I've never broken anything before so I'm not sure what to expect. Good to hear from you Lim.

4 ribs, two months ago.
Hmm.

Bikerman2004, it's hard to know - people recover at different rates.
For what it's worth, I broke two ribs cycling many years ago and although they appeared to heal (I was able to cycle), there was a nagging feeling there for six months after the accident.
I was competing at the time - so I raced during that six month period but, being frank about it, six months was the time period.

The position on the bike made it uncomfortable for me - your ribs feel constrained and maybe that's what causes that nagging feeling that you have.

Good to have you back, Bikerman.

limerickman said:
4 ribs, two months ago.
Hmm.

Bikerman2004, it's hard to know - people recover at different rates.
For what it's worth, I broke two ribs cycling many years ago and although they appeared to heal (I was able to cycle), there was a nagging feeling there for six months after the accident.
I was competing at the time - so I raced during that six month period but, being frank about it, six months was the time period.

The position on the bike made it uncomfortable for me - your ribs feel constrained and maybe that's what causes that nagging feeling that you have.

Good to have you back, Bikerman.
Sounds like it will eventually go away. Just scared me a little. I'd ride about 2-3 miles and thought I couldn't breathe. I normally rode 40-50 miles day. I may need to hold off the bike till spring. 20 degree temps probably don't help. Thanks. You've given me some hope.

Bikerman2004 said:
Sounds like it will eventually go away. Just scared me a little. I'd ride about 2-3 miles and thought I couldn't breathe. I normally rode 40-50 miles day. I may need to hold off the bike till spring. 20 degree temps probably don't help. Thanks. You've given me some hope.

A possible quick fix - this might help.

If your ribs have healed but you get that nagging feeling, try altering the position of the saddle/bars.
If you can shift your position - to ease the pressure on your thoraic cavity, it will make that dull, nagging pain, less .

That's what I did - and it helped.
But having said that, because my position changed on the bike, I lost a lot of
output/power/fluidity, but at least I was able to cycle.

Yep, it can be months. I only had a tiny crack once, and it was about three months before I could do weights without feeling any pain.

Also, apparently there's more nerves in the cartiladge between the ribs. Some people get unlucky and get some cartiladge damage along with the busted ribs, so this can be more painful.

limerickman said:
A possible quick fix - this might help.

If your ribs have healed but you get that nagging feeling, try altering the position of the saddle/bars.
If you can shift your position - to ease the pressure on your thoraic cavity, it will make that dull, nagging pain, less .

That's what I did - and it helped.
But having said that, because my position changed on the bike, I lost a lot of
output/power/fluidity, but at least I was able to cycle.
I moved my saddle up(forward) just a bit.
Is that the correct direction to move it?
I was able to go about 16-18 miles without to much trouble.
Which way should I move the bars?
I was amazed at how differntly the bike felt by just tweaking the saddle.

limerickman said:
there was a nagging feeling there for six months after the accident.
I cracked my sternum and a couple of ribs in an auto accident (the seat belt did the damage, but also saved me so BUCKLE UP!!) several years ago. It also took about 6 months before I was 100%.

L

Bikerman2004 said:
I broke 4 ribs about 2 months ago. It has been tough to get going again. I can ride but not hard. Is this normal? Am I pushing getting back on the bike to soon?
I broke 4 also (2 in front and 2 in back) in Oct 03 and I bow to your riding after only two months. I was able to ride the trainer after a month but the pounding (even on the road) was too much. Winter gave me a fair second excuse to stay inside on the trainer so I didn't really get back on a bike until spring. My doctor said it'd take a year to be back to "normal" and he was pretty close because it took that long to not hurt when coughing or sneezing. BTW, don't rake the yard unless you enjoy pain. Best of luck...pedal when you can.:rolleyes:

I did some damage to a rib a few months back in a go kart crash. Took about a month before I considered getting back on the bike.

The sore area of my rib was about 1 1/2" from my spine. Some of the muscles that attach to the spine for core stability no longer worked. The muscles are meant to contract when you think about lifting your leg on the same side or lifting your arm on the oposite side. Trying to contract these muscle was like trying to make my ears wiggle. A bit of phsio and I could once again make the muscle work normally. If the phsio hadn't checked that these muscle where working, I would have been set for core stability problems and back pain.

You're better off getting them knitted together properly than worrying about how much you do or don't ride.
If you go to a chiropractor they will be able to x ray you and see how things are going.
Ribbs can(and often do) join back together in ways that show that the ribcage is now deformed(say on one side if only the ribbs on one side were broken/cracked) and a chiropractor should be able to gently work them so they are as they should be.
Be patient, Paul ;)