Recovery from operation

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by anderson, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. anderson

    anderson New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.

    Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back into my legs in quick time.

    Thanks in advance.

    Michael Anderson

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware
    > of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
    >
    > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
    > into my legs in quick time.

    Depends what the operation is. A physio at the hospital is the best person to ask who can advise you
    specifically taking into account your condition. Many knee operations will allow you to mobilise and
    function very quickly, and with very little pain. This should be encouraged. As a cyclist you have
    the advantage of starting with good muscle tone. I wouldn't worry too much.

    Bill RN

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:50:02 +0100, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A physio at the hospital is the best person to ask who can advise you specifically taking into
    >account your condition.

    Agree strongly. I'd point out to the surgeon that you're keen not to lose fitness and make sure
    you're booked in with the physio in advance
    - they have been known to forget...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Rg

    Rg Guest

    Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush up" inside the knee then
    there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon as the swelling and
    discomfort recedes.

    I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon as possible.

    Usual disclaimer !!

    RG

    "anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware
    > of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
    >
    > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
    > into my legs in quick time.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Michael Anderson

  5. Saint

    Saint Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush up" inside the knee then
    > there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon as the swelling and
    > discomfort recedes.
    >
    > I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon as possible.
    >
    > Usual disclaimer !!
    >
    > RG
    >
    > "anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well
    > > aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
    > > into my legs in quick time.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Michael Anderson

    Just had my 3rd full knee reconstruction in February this year and was cycling gently again after 4
    weeks. Arthroscopy is pretty straightforward (I have had about 10!) and you'll be back in the saddle
    again pretty quickly.

    Good luck with it.

    Saint

  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    So many of you have undergone knee surgery. This is worrying. Is is symptomatic of avid cycling?

    Hope not.

    .

    "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush
    up"
    > > inside the knee then there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon
    > > as the swelling and discomfort recedes.
    > >
    > > I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon
    as
    > > possible.
    > >
    > > Usual disclaimer !!
    > >
    > > RG
    > >
    > > "anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well
    > > > aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order
    > > > get the strength back into my legs in quick time.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Michael Anderson
    > > >

    > Just had my 3rd full knee reconstruction in February this year and was cycling gently again after
    > 4 weeks. Arthroscopy is pretty straightforward (I have had about 10!) and you'll be back in the
    > saddle again pretty quickly.
    >
    > Good luck with it.
    >
    > Saint

  7. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Only under gone one cycling related knee op. Bombing through a forest and as I cornered I lent the
    bike. Not knowing what around the corner was stupid but at about 15 - 20 mph my knee closest to the
    ground slammed into thigh high tree stump. The doc said I had disintergrated my knee cap. Took me
    six weeks to get back on the bike after that. I still corner blind though.

    Gadget