Recovery HR

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by davidk4, Jul 23, 2008.

1. davidk4

davidk4 New Member

Apologies if this is a well-worn subject - I looked through the forum archive but the relevant threads seem to be more advanced for answering the basic enquiry I have....and it is pretty basic!

Can anyone tell me:

1) how long into a workout before measuring RHR?

I'm confused from sources on the net whether BPM readings should be taken at the end of a ride or at some point (any point) during the ride after peddling hard for a period of 5-8 minutes.

2) how hard a workout should be in order to measure RHR?

I'm unsure whether I should be looking to get near to my maximum heart rate (as per 220-age) before taking BPM readings or after cycling for a distance in the 60-85% range.

3) when the recovery BPM reading should be taken?

I take the initial reading straight after exercise (10 secs x 6), then wait for a minute to elapse after that 10 second reading. Should I time the minute recovery BPM reading instead from the moment I stop exercising (or is there little difference in 10 seconds)?

TIA.

Tags:

2. matteobma

matteobma New Member

Recovery is the time that the body adapts to the stress of exercise and the real training effect takes place.
    Recovery also allows the body to replenish energy stores and repair damaged tissues.
    There are also changes in the body ie: muscle tissue breakdown and the depletion of energy stores, fluid loss etc.

The HR & Time measure, are indexes of speed adaptation of your body, to re-ossigen tissue, replenish muscle glycogen etc...
    This indicator (can be obtained) keeping track of HR at your peak intensity and elapsed 3 min time on flat cadence.

there is also a long term recovery, but is another story...

see next...

Its dipends of what kind of exercise you are doing.

ie:
    Interval ? you can measure after a peak intensity, and decide to restart next peak when your HR reach 70%.
    Endurance? can be done at the end of your costant workload (ie: 30 min @ 80-85% HR range)

I hope can be helpful...

Bye Matteo :)

3. davidk4

davidk4 New Member

Thanks Matteo. :)