Recovery question

Watoni

Mar 16, 2004
I did a 400 TSS ride on Saturday (CTL about 50 before the ride) , but felt I could have done much more but for foot pain (a whole othe topic).

Today I rode and did a climb I use for 2x20s (more like 20x28s), and at least equalled my record for 20x20s this year with the same PE as I do for 2x20s generally.

I would not have expected this but is this more or less standard?

Wow 400 TSS! Impressive. What kind of ride was it (length, IF...) My biggest day this year was a century in 6 hours. TSS 266 IF 0.661. I was pretty tired the next day but went for a short ride (35kms - didn't hurt too much). Second day I took off. Third day did 1:45minute tempo ride - felt back to normal.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done effective 2x20's the next day. Are you sure your FTP is correct?

Joe

vetboy said:
Wow 400 TSS! Impressive. What kind of ride was it (length, IF...) My biggest day this year was a century in 6 hours. TSS 266 IF 0.661. I was pretty tired the next day but went for a short ride (35kms - didn't hurt too much). Second day I took off. Third day did 1:45minute tempo ride - felt back to normal.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done effective 2x20's the next day. Are you sure your FTP is correct?

Joe

Sorry, I should have clarified that I did 1 27.5 minute climb at 2X20 intensity, but was not going all out in terms of PE and beat any wattage I have done for repeats on that climb all year. To do 2 repeats at L4 would have been at least 56 minutes of work and would have really hurt!

The long ride was a little over 390 TSS to be (more) exact, with 6.5 hours of ride time (1/2 hour down to two flats and the remaining 20 minutes at rest stops and taking my shoes to ease the foot pain). I have the exact IF at home and will post it. Distance was 109 miles with an elevation gain of a little over 7,000 feet. It was the first half of the Terrible Two Double Century. I have done the ride three times, and just gutted through the foot pain last year by taking off my shoes about 15 times (most of which were in the last 90 miles). Given that it was well over 100 on a significant portion of the course, I decided not to risk any more foot damage and am making various appointments, including at the Stanford sports medicine clinic, to see what can be done.