Recovery ride HR question

Hippy

Guest
If you are supposed to maintain a HR of, say, 135bpm for a recovery ride - given a known maxHR -
will the recovery be severly hampered by breaking out of this zone?

i.e. I'm using my commute as a recovery ride and there are some hills on it that I cannot climb
without elevating my HR above my suggested recovery heartrate. Is this defeating the purpose of
the recovery or does it not make much difference?

cheers! hippy

hippy wrote:
> If you are supposed to maintain a HR of, say, 135bpm for a recovery ride - given a known maxHR -
> will the recovery be severly hampered by breaking out of this zone?
>
> i.e. I'm using my commute as a recovery ride and there are some hills on it that I cannot climb
> without elevating my HR above my suggested recovery heartrate. Is this defeating the purpose
> of the recovery or does it not make much difference?
>
> cheers! hippy

It doesn't make much difference. As long as you feel fresh the next day, and your heart responds
normally, you're recovered.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Be sure to not use any force beyond what is required to creep up the hills. What I mean is do not
build any lactic acid on these easy days. Slow, smooth and gentle. Sometimes HR is going to go
beyond the range for you. Just do not hammer up a hill and abuse those legs :) Spin that small
light gear. Good luck...

Paul

--
Paul Ozier USA Cycling Expert Coach www.highpowercoaching.com