Recovery time between L4 Intervals?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by scmtnboy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. scmtnboy

scmtnboy New Member

I have a climb about 7 minutes ride from my house that takes 22-24 minutes to climb. I have used it for one of my primary threshold workouts. My main question is: After I get to the the top it takes about 9 minutes to coast down to the bottom and there is very little time to pedal. Is this too much time for recovery between intervals? I will usually either do 2x23 minutes at 100% FTP or 3x23.5 minutes at 95% FTP. This is done first thing in the morning before work. Thanks.

Nick

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Nope, recovery intervals for the long stuff like L4 and SST aren't real important. They're mostly for mental regrouping before your next effort. It's a different story for very short interval work where you're not fully recovering between efforts but whether 5 minutes or 20 between L4 efforts you should be fully recovered and it's mostly a matter of giving yourself a mental break so you can hold focus for the upcoming effort.

-Dave

3. Watoni

Watoni New Member

Agreed.

My intervals for SST and L4 work is mostly done on two climbs about 3-5 minutes from home. One is 4.2 miles and an average of 7% and the other is 3.3 miles at 7.3%.

The 4 mile climb is a decent descent, but the 3.3 mile climb is too narrow so it is about 15 minutes until I get back down to the base of the climb.

The only worry is that if it is cold out the descent tenderizes the muscles a bit and it takes a bit to get back into a rhythm.

4. mr_mojo

mr_mojo New Member

add some weight to your bike to make the intervals longer!

5. Watoni

Watoni New Member

The climbs take me (and my current weight) from 22-35 minutes, so they are good for L4, for SST I just do repeats of the ~30 minute climb ...

6. lanierb

lanierb New Member

9 minutes recovery is fine for training. The normalized power for the ride will be lower than if you had shorter recovery. As a result, you might find yourself doing slightly higher wattages during the work interval than you would if you did 5 minutes rest.

7. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

As the legendary RapDaddyo said, you can go home and have a cup of tea between intervals. The important thing is to get in the time at FTP, be it 20/30/40/60 minutes. Preferably 40 minutes or more.;) Tyson

8. Spunout

Spunout New Member

Keep in mind that 4-10 minutes recovery is enough...if it is quality active recovery. Freezing as you fly down a mountain, flipping through switchbacks is not recovery. In this instance, take a bit more active recovery at the bottom to 1) make sure you are recovered and 2) sufficiently warm-up and regain your 'souplesse' before the next work effort.