Recovery time, TSS, Power distribution

msummers

Jun 27, 2005
Just curious as to whether anyone downloads active recovery rides (<55% FT) in their CP program. It would have an effect on the power distribution chart and TSS to at least some degree. Since there really is no training effect (or is there?) from this time spent, is it still OK to include it in the totals? Often almost an entire week is reserved for active recovery.

Thanks
MS

msummers said:
Just curious as to whether anyone downloads active recovery rides (<55% FT) in their CP program. It would have an effect on the power distribution chart and TSS to at least some degree. Since there really is no training effect (or is there?) from this time spent, is it still OK to include it in the totals? Often almost an entire week is reserved for active recovery.

Thanks
MS

always download all your rides...

Not sure why you'd want an entire week of recovery rides though...?

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
always download all your rides...

Not sure why you'd want an entire week of recovery rides though...?

Ric
It sounded a bit unusual to me as well Ric, but I'm refering to
3 weeks on and 1 off with a recovery ride on tuesday and thursday as suggested in some of the sample training plans in "training and racing with a PM". Maybe not an entire week, but these sample plans have plenty of level 1 workouts. At least one or two per week during the first 3 weeks, and a couple during the recovery week. I suppose if you just stayed off the bike, it wouldn't be an issue, but if you spend 10% of your time each week at level 1, and level 1 is not really training, you wonder if you should even throw it in the power stats. It's even been suggested to use your HR monitor for active recovery.

MS

msummers said:
...as suggested in some of the sample training plans in "training and racing with a PM".

The operative word here being sample...

(To be honest, I don't know how often Hunter prescribes a level 1 workout for any of the athletes that he coaches. Personally, however, I only do a handful of such sessions per year, as due to time constraints I usually opt to instead simply not ride at all.)

msummers said:

Thanks
MS
I download all rides. When tracking your power distribution by zones (I do mine weekly) it helps me guage what % of my time is spent in zones, how base is coming along, and when to start intensity. I also track cadence similarly.

I also use a chart with weekly TSS and HOurs bins for the training year. Endurance rides fill in the time where we can see how TSS and hours cross in weeks where there are different training objectives. If Low TSS and high Hours rides have a place in your plan, best to track them too.

Spunout said:
I download all rides. When tracking your power distribution by zones (I do mine weekly) it helps me guage what % of my time is spent in zones, how base is coming along, and when to start intensity. I also track cadence similarly.

Why do you "track cadence"? Are you looking for trends?

msummers said:

Thanks
MS
all of my rides are always downloaded

WarrenG said:
Why do you "track cadence"? Are you looking for trends?
Just making sure that in base I am spinning. Bad tendons and I can't take big gears until it gets nice and warm outside (I'm in Canada right now).

I use a pie chart to track cadence distribution. 20rpm bins.

Spunout said:
Just making sure that in base I am spinning. Bad tendons and I can't take big gears until it gets nice and warm outside (I'm in Canada right now).

I use a pie chart to track cadence distribution. 20rpm bins.
Canada... you too 4 ft snowbanks in coniston:eek: but melting fast;)