Recreational Drinkers???

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bassopotamus76, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bassopotamus76

bassopotamus76 New Member

Ok, I have a question.

How many of you out there like to drink moderately, and how does it factor in to your fitness routine/plan??

What is the best thing to drink (other than nothing, smartasses :)) if you dont want to completely kick the habit but keep "empty calories" out of your body??

Obviously, beer is probably a no-no, other than maybe Michelob ultra-lite. Wine? Non-sugary liquors like bourbon/whiskey or distilled spirits?

Any input?

Tags:

2. EnigManiac

EnigManiac New Member

Well, I am not in training for anything: I'm not a racer or speed-hound, so I drink twice a week and imbibe primarily beer (though shots are not out of the question) and limit myself to a maximum of 6 (maybe 7), but the beer I drink has a 6.5 alc/vol so it's really closer to 8 or 9 in effect. Hic....hic....hic...

Why does my bicycle seem sooooo much heavier on the way home from the bar? ;)

3. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

Lots and lots of research shows that wine--particularly red wine--drunk in moderation--is actually good for your health.

4. RC2

RC2 New Member

Think he was posting about something else.

5. tvanhuisen

tvanhuisen New Member

I drink moderately. I am not the best example of fitness, however. I enjoy a few glasses of wine and a cocktail or two in a week. I like good beer but gave it up because of the caloric intake (I don't care for light beers). I am also prone to a night of alcoholic indulgence from time to time with the guys, although I usually stick to Gin and Soda or Scotch and Soda depending on my mood. On a warm day, I will have a margarita or two without feeling too guilty.

If I had any advice, I guess I would say "All things in moderation." Wine has been shown to have some health benefits. A glass or two nicely compliments dinner and a night with the wife. Vodka, gin, or whiskey with a splash of soda is a nice way to enjoy a cocktail without too many calories. It also helps you to appreciate the taste of quality spirits without a bunch of sweeteners and masks.

Cheers! (hiccup)

6. bassopotamus76

bassopotamus76 New Member

7. matteo moller

matteo moller New Member

for me the only consideration with drinking is that alcohol can be very dehydrating. i have red wine with some meals and once or twice a week i'll have a drink containing rum, whiskey, or vodka. the only rule i follow is that i try to drink a glass of water or two with each drink. i think that unless you're at an elite level it's not gonna matter much. cyclists do drink, even the pros, some of them party enough to make andrew w.k. proud. as others have said, moderation is the key.

8. Bikesoiler

Bikesoiler New Member

I'm a drinker with cycling problem. :D

Seriously, what do you call drinking? I have maybe one beer or two glasses of wine 3 - 4 nights a week. Sometimes 3 -4 beers at a time depending on the occasion. I don't often drink any more than that at one time, I think 4 pints in one night would be the most.
    If you're trying to lose weight it's a different thing.

Enjoy yourself, ride your bike a lot. You're a long time dead.

9. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

I think if you can go so far as to say you have a "fitness routine", you ought to drink all you want, and whatever you want. I have no such thing...I ride because it is the best way to see the country, and frequently find myself crawling out of another hang-over swearing off beer:)

10. ebola

ebola New Member

I drink vodka-and-diet-coke, it is my weakness. 2x a week 'socially'.. Theoretically the total dead calories are manageable but there's more wrong with drinking than that of course. Want to cut down as it frequently wastes valuable weekend time with hangovers.
    One of my friends once amusingly observed 'is that diet vodka?' .. nope.

11. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Very true and remember that a glass of dry white wine only has about 16 calories - that´s based on 6+ glasses to a 70cl bottle .
    Bye the bye , don´t drink red wine at room temperature if the room is above 68 F - that rule came from France and the old chateaus´didn´t have central heating - so in warmer surroundings keep in the fridge . OH and put the cork back in , nothing ruins wine faster than contact with the air ( this does not count if it´s sold in a plastic or cardboard container as it´s ruined already - but can be mixed with lemonade , oranges and lemons and a hint of a orange based liquer - serve weak and cold on hot summer evenings )

12. phil c

phil c New Member

Good for you. I'm a guiness fan myself. Anyway, did anyone think that cycling could be a great supplement to your drinking rather than visa - versa?! It's a good hangover cure for a start!!

13. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

the bad news for you drinkers is that booze in any form whether its spirits, wine, beers or whatever will slow down your metabolic rate and inhibit your bodys natural ability to burn calories at rest.

drink alchohol and you'll put on weight, thats the bottom line...the more calories you take in such as in beers and fortified wines then the fatter you'll become...choice is yours..

when i drink i always work off the calories the next day on my bike or during a 10k run. Its not perfect but its better that nothing..

so if you drink you should wait til the worst of your hangover is gone and work it off.

14. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

class...:D

too true.

its a bit like cheese that comes out of a tube....avoid.

15. EnigManiac

EnigManiac New Member

I work it off riding home from the bar :D

16. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I know a lot more cyclists that drink at least a little than tee-totallers. I only know one guy who doesn't drink at all, and is an avid cyclist, and he's more overweight than he should be. If you ask me, if there's one sport or activity where you can imbibe a little and get away with it, it's cycling. I know people that ride a lot and drink like fish, but they know it's not good for them, and they know that it certainly doesn't help their cycling, but they have a hell of a good time. I personally have a few drinks 2 or 3 times a week. Usually a couple or three Guinness Extra Stouts, I love that stuff. I'd like to start brewing my own beer, but haven't gotten around to it. I'll have a little Jack or Beam occasionally, depending on the occasion. I try to never drink so much that I really feel it the next day. I've already had more than my share of hangovers, and all the other crap that goes along with hard partying. Moderation is more fun because I can definitely ride better and farther. But I don't see any reason to not drink at all. It's the binges and benders that hurt you.

17. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Bourbon/whiskey is non-sugary liquor? Seems to me I read somewhere that hard liquor has almost as many calories in one ounce as a 12 ounce beer, or a 6 ounce glass of wine.

18. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

Well, you know...

19. howierart

howierart New Member

I love cycling, I love women, I love booze! Wher edo we stop..Its not quantiity of life its quality of life.. Forget any worries, if your in the pub and its open alte drink drink drink, and if youre on your bike and youve got two more hours of daylight then ride ride ride.. Dont do anything by havles...This is life be as greedy as you like!

20. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

Drinking with the devil I'm just a rock and roll rebel. RAINBOW

More then 4 and it is a binge.

What if Jesus actually turned the wine into water?

Be bad if that were a misprint.

Pray with out ceasing. Seriously a member of Korn has left the field to persue Christ. Will he still rock hard? Or will he be like the contempory christian bands?

Does everything happen for a reason?