Recruited to American Classic

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SilentGTboy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. SilentGTboy

SilentGTboy New Member

I had my second group ride Saturday. Wow, I wet this guy Winston who reminds me of the Funny black guy from Armegedon. We were riding along and he started pointing out who each of the riders were. I soon found out I was riding with either Pros or ex-Pros with either a World Championship or a National Championship under there belt. There was even a guy there who was national champion of South Africa and another National Champion from another country. I got a little scared at that point being 17 on my second group ride with my first road bike that I just bought August 2nd. We ended up doing 50 miles at almost 30mph including 2 sprints at the 25mi points that got up to 38+mph! In the end I finished the ride in front with a couple of the American Classic guys around me. AWESOME RIDE! During the end of the ride I was riding next to with The owner of American Classic and talking about how long I've been riding for and he turned to me, gave me a big smile and said, "Your not supposed to be doing this good." We we all went to a little resturant afterwards and The owners wife recruited me to AmC and Took down my jersey size and Lyrca size. What have I gotten myself into? I'm pretty excited! Chris, the Cat 3 racer who brought me there was expecting me to get dropped but so was I! He left that Saturday though but I've got Winston to look after me he said :p

Tags:

2. JTE83

JTE83 Member

It seems you must be fast ... How long have you be riding ? How many miles of training have you done? What is your top speed on flat roads with no winds ? What is the bike that you ride (make & model & build)?

I just started biking road bikes 1 year ago. Did 1392 miles so far this year. I'm 35, and my top speed is 32.9 mph (flat road, intermittant 5mph wind or no wind).

Road bike weren't as nice as they are now when I was 17, so I had no interest. I was into bmx freestyle back then.

3. SilentGTboy

SilentGTboy New Member

[​IMG]

I've had my road bike since August 2nd but I've moved for commuting 20miles on a BMX bike to a Mountain bike over the past year. I've put 430 miles on the bike so far. First week I put on 200 miles. Top speed on flats no wind? 36+mph. I just bought that Giant OCR 2 (US '04) and I've put a Cateye Astrale 8 on and a Sigma sport pc 800 HRM. Oh an look PP 206 pedals along with Sidi Dynamic 3 shoes (boing!)

4. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Holy crap. I t could hold that for maybe 3 seconds.

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Hello SilentGTboy:

I've lost all the weight I needed to from biking 1589 miles so far this year. Went from 192 to 162.8 lbs. I'm a 35 yr old man.

I guess I don't have the motivation to train to race or to race because I don't have "aerobic talent." At 77.8% MHR I average only 16.5 mph, at 85.4% MHR - 18 mph. I guess I have a low VOMax because my Polar Ownindex score is a low 36 to 40 range.

What's your avg speed at 80% & 85% Max Heart Rate ? This would really show off you speed. And what is your height, weight, and body fat % ?

6. The Sync

The Sync New Member

On that 50 mile ride you did, what was your avg. speed at the end of the whole thing? Thats what matters. All this "how fast can you do on a flat with no wind" isn't worth anything. I can do 36+ mph as well, but its how fast you can go consistently over the entire ride, not at just certain times such as a sprint.

7. keydates

keydates New Member

He obviously rode fast enough to be semi-pro level.

8. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Congratulations! How'd you feel the next day?

Tim

9. SilentGTboy

SilentGTboy New Member

When the ride was over I felt great and I didn't even want to stop!

I don't know my max HR on the bike, or fat% but I would like to find out. I have a HRM but I only use it to display current HR and never use the low, in, or above. I always want to start it when I'm In but I forgot and if I do ever start it I forget to stop it when I'me done.

I was to nervous about the ride that I never reset my computer but I am positive it was above 25mph because we never really dropped below 28mph. Did I mention that the sprints went over 38mph?