Rec's for short reach/shallow drop bar?

Dave

Guest
Nashbar advertised a Profile road handlebar with a short reach and
shallow drop in its latest catalog (88mm reach/144mm drop), but they
are sold out of the 42cm width and won't be getting any more. I think
such a bar would work well for me on my touring bike. Does anyone
know of another bar with somewhat similar specs?

While I'm on the subject, how is bar width measured? My current
Xtenos bar is 42cm center to center at the hoods, and 44cm c/c at the
ends. Would I call it a 42 or a 44?

Thanks for any help.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>Nashbar advertised a Profile road handlebar with a short reach and
>shallow drop in its latest catalog (88mm reach/144mm drop), but they
>are sold out of the 42cm width and won't be getting any more. I think
>such a bar would work well for me on my touring bike. Does anyone
>know of another bar with somewhat similar specs?

Here are a few short reach bars with varying amounts of drop -

Salsa Poco 70mm/140mm (anatomical)
Salsa Short & Shallow 82mm/144mm (anatomical)
Cinelli Devo 75mm/145mm (anatomical, oversize)
Cinelli Altera 75mm/153mm (anatomical)
Deda 215 Shallow 80mm/135mm (round bend)
Ritchey WCS Classic Road Bar 82mm/135mm (round bend)

It makes me unspeakably happy to know that the Cinelli guys
listen to Devo.

>While I'm on the subject, how is bar width measured? My current
>Xtenos bar is 42cm center to center at the hoods, and 44cm c/c at the
>ends. Would I call it a 42 or a 44?

I don't remember how Modolo measured their bars but most manufacturers
would call that a 44 or a 46 (measured to the outside of the ends).
The important thing is when you're shopping you need to know how the
manufacturer measures their bars.

--Paul

For some handlebar reach and drop measurements, go over to Harris
Cyclery and look at the QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) catalog online.

Some short reach and shallow drop bars that come to mind are the Deda
215 shallow, TTT Forma/Prima, Salsa Poco. There are undoubtedly a few
others.

Dave wrote:

> Nashbar advertised a Profile road handlebar with a short reach and
> shallow drop in its latest catalog (88mm reach/144mm drop), but they
> are sold out of the 42cm width and won't be getting any more. I think
> such a bar would work well for me on my touring bike. Does anyone
> know of another bar with somewhat similar specs?
>
> While I'm on the subject, how is bar width measured? My current
> Xtenos bar is 42cm center to center at the hoods, and 44cm c/c at the
> ends. Would I call it a 42 or a 44?

The TTT THE bar has quite a compact bend. It also has the huge
advantage of being very cheap. TTT measure their bars C-C.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Nashbar advertised a Profile road handlebar with a short reach and
> >shallow drop in its latest catalog (88mm reach/144mm drop), but they
> >are sold out of the 42cm width and won't be getting any more. I think
> >such a bar would work well for me on my touring bike. Does anyone
> >know of another bar with somewhat similar specs?

> Here are a few short reach bars with varying amounts of drop -
>
> Salsa Poco 70mm/140mm (anatomical)
> Salsa Short & Shallow 82mm/144mm (anatomical)
> Cinelli Devo 75mm/145mm (anatomical, oversize)
> Cinelli Altera 75mm/153mm (anatomical)
> Deda 215 Shallow 80mm/135mm (round bend)
> Ritchey WCS Classic Road Bar 82mm/135mm (round bend)

snip

> --Paul

I just installed a Ritchey WCS Classic 82mm reach/135mm drop (round bend).
It seems just right for me but the bend is tight. If you don't have small
hands you are not going to be able to comfortably fit into the front of the
drop. If you don't normally place your hands there then it may not be an
issue. The bend at the top is rather sharp and leaves a wide area for hands
on top of the bar.
Bill Brannon