recum trike wheels

James Johnson

Guest
i guess i am looking at making a tadpole, 2 front steering
wheels and 1 rear drive wheel, I would like to have a set of
mags for it, 20's in the front and a 24 or 26 in the back,
any ideas where i might get these, and what am i looking for
as far as the bearing/hub for the front wheels, since they
are only supported on one side, i am not totally sure what i
am looking for.

i have been looking at
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/index.phtml,

Once again, this group is great with the information, i
would like to thank you in advance for responding.
James Johnson

"James Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> i guess i am looking at making a tadpole, 2 front steering
> wheels and 1 rear drive wheel, I would like to have a set
> of mags for it, 20's in the front and a 24 or 26 in the
> back, any ideas where i might get these, and what am i
> looking for as far as the bearing/hub for the front
> wheels, since they are only supported on one side, i am
> not totally sure what i am looking for.
>
> i have been looking at
> http://www.bikepartsusa.com/index.phtml,
>

> Once again, this group is great with the information, i
> would like to thank you in advance for responding.
> James Johnson

"Mag" wheels tend to be very heavy, but durable. One issue
with them is that they don't allow high-pressure tires-
they're usually limited to about 50psi.

Skyway makes the most popular "mag" wheels around:
http://www.skywaytuffwheels.com/2002/products_003.htm Note
that they're now available with disc brakes. Also, a friend
of mine sells these wheels for use on Electrathon racers,
which are compatible with his steering spindles:
http://www.blueskydsn.com/products.html

In general, figure you're going to need an axle about
12mm or 1/2" in diameter to be strong enough to be hung
off of one side. Any smaller and the axle will probably
break quickly.

Jeff

The front 20" wheels are an easy buy. The new BMX wheels
come in 20", with 14mm axles and 48 spokes. Absolutely
perfect for building a trike. If you loosen off the axle and
jam nuts, and shift the axle to one side as far as it will
go, it leaves you lots of axle to bolt to your trike and a
stub on the outside. I've only come across one set of BMX
aero rims that wouldn't shift like this.

Any bike shop that sells BMX bikes will be able to get you
these wheels. They tend to start at about $40 Cdn each and
go up from there.

Once you buy the rims, simply use a piece of 3/4" mild steel
tubing, with
1/8" wall. Buy a 35/64" or a 14mm drill bit to enlarge the
center of the pipe so the axle fits down it, and you're
done. You can use apiece of tubing anywhere from about 1"
to 1 ½" long to slide the axle through. I've never had a
problem with this design. You could even use the 72 spoke
cruiser style wheels with 1/2" precision bearings and
build yourself a low rider trike :)

As for the rear wheels, any rear bike wheel will do. The
only proviso is that I would be very careful using the funky
looking rear wheels with minimum spoking in them. This is
because of the amount of lateral load the rear wheel will be
subject to.

For ideas, here's some of the trikes I've built:
bikes.jkcc.com

"James Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i guess i am looking at making a tadpole, 2 front steering
> wheels and 1
rear
> drive wheel, I would like to have a set of mags for it,
> 20's in the front and a 24 or 26 in the back, any ideas
> where i might get these, and what am
> looking for as far as the bearing/hub for the front
> wheels, since they are only supported on one side, i am
> not totally sure what i am looking for.
>
> i have been looking at
> http://www.bikepartsusa.com/index.phtml,
>

> Once again, this group is great with the information, i
> would like to
thank
> you in advance for responding. James Johnson

Jim,

couple of questions -

is the 14mm BMX wheel a Canadian thing? I've been looking
for replacement wheels for my trike in the U.K. and they all
seem to be on 10mm over here.

Second thing - Brakes. I'm on hub brakes (though could
change to disk) what do you use because I can't see any way
round adding bits in to make it a rim trike (something I
don't have the tools to do).

Thanks

Everso.

"Sticker Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The front 20" wheels are an easy buy. The new BMX wheels
>come in 20", with 14mm axles and 48 spokes. Absolutely
>perfect for building a trike. If you loosen off the axle
>and jam nuts, and shift the axle to one side as far as it
>will go, it leaves you lots of axle to bolt to your trike
>and a stub on the outside. I've only come across one set of
>BMX aero rims that wouldn't shift like this.
>
>Any bike shop that sells BMX bikes will be able to get you
>these wheels. They tend to start at about $40 Cdn each and
>go up from there.
>
>Once you buy the rims, simply use a piece of 3/4" mild
>steel tubing, with
>1/8" wall. Buy a 35/64" or a 14mm drill bit to enlarge the
> center of the pipe so the axle fits down it, and you're
> done. You can use apiece of tubing anywhere from about 1"
> to 1 ½" long to slide the axle through. I've never had a
> problem with this design. You could even use the 72 spoke
> cruiser style wheels with 1/2" precision bearings and
> build yourself a low rider trike :)
>
>As for the rear wheels, any rear bike wheel will do. The
>only proviso is that I would be very careful using the
>funky looking rear wheels with minimum spoking in them.
>This is because of the amount of lateral load the rear
>wheel will be subject to.
>
>For ideas, here's some of the trikes I've built:
>bikes.jkcc.com
>
>"James Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> i guess i am looking at making a tadpole, 2 front
>> steering wheels and 1
>rear
>> drive wheel, I would like to have a set of mags for it,
>> 20's in the front and a 24 or 26 in the back, any ideas
>> where i might get these, and what am
>> looking for as far as the bearing/hub for the front
>> wheels, since they are only supported on one side, i am
>> not totally sure what i am looking for.
>>
>> i have been looking at
>> http://www.bikepartsusa.com/index.phtml,
>>

>> Once again, this group is great with the information, i
>> would like to
>thank
>> you in advance for responding. James Johnson

Well . . . over hear in Canada and the Us, the BMX bikes
they use for all the funky tricks on half pipes and flat-
land ramps/pipes come with 14mm axles. I've even seen some
with 20mm ones now. To be honest, I figured that was the
standard size now for those bikes. I have also seen BMX
"like" bikes with smaller axles, but I don't think they are
designed for the hard riding the way the ones with the
thicker axles are.

For brakes, we just use rim brakes. Mainly we use side pulls
with standard center mounts. The pictures of the
steering/brake design I use are here: bikes.jkcc.com They
work very nicely and you can use stronger road bike side
pulls if you use tires that are 1 3/8" or smaller. Aside
from that, we just use the old style side pull calipers off
of mountain bikes.

> Jim,
>
> couple of questions -
>
> is the 14mm BMX wheel a Canadian thing? I've been looking
> for replacement wheels for my trike in the U.K. and they
> all seem to be on 10mm over here.
>
> Second thing - Brakes. I'm on hub brakes (though could
> change to disk) what do you use because I can't see any
> way round adding bits in to make it a rim trike (something
> I don't have the tools to do).
>
> Thanks
>
> Everso.
>
> "Sticker Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The front 20" wheels are an easy buy. The new BMX wheels
> >come in 20",
with
> >14mm axles and 48 spokes. Absolutely perfect for building
> >a trike. If
you
> >loosen off the axle and jam nuts, and shift the axle to
> >one side as far
as
> >it will go, it leaves you lots of axle to bolt to your
> >trike and a stub
on
> >the outside. I've only come across one set of BMX aero
> >rims that
wouldn't
> >shift like this.
> >
> >Any bike shop that sells BMX bikes will be able to get
> >you these wheels. They tend to start at about $40 Cdn
> >each and go up from there.
> >
> >Once you buy the rims, simply use a piece of 3/4" mild
> >steel tubing, with
> >1/8" wall. Buy a 35/64" or a 14mm drill bit to enlarge
> > the center of the pipe so the axle fits down it, and
> > you're done. You can use apiece of tubing anywhere from
> > about 1" to 1 ½" long to slide the axle through.
I've
> >never had a problem with this design. You could even use
> >the 72 spoke cruiser style wheels with 1/2" precision
> >bearings and build yourself a
low
> >rider trike :)
> >
> >As for the rear wheels, any rear bike wheel will do. The
> >only proviso is that I would be very careful using the
> >funky looking rear wheels with minimum spoking in them.
> >This is because of the amount of lateral load
the
> >rear wheel will be subject to.
> >
> >For ideas, here's some of the trikes I've built:
> >bikes.jkcc.com
> >
> >"James Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> i guess i am looking at making a tadpole, 2 front
> >> steering wheels and 1
> >rear
> >> drive wheel, I would like to have a set of mags for it,
> >> 20's in the
front
> >> and a 24 or 26 in the back, any ideas where i might get
> >> these, and what
am
> >> looking for as far as the bearing/hub for the front
> >> wheels, since they
are
> >> only supported on one side, i am not totally sure what
> >> i am looking
for.