recumbant and i avoid collision

ilaboo

Guest
recumbant bike comming down hill--booking, i coming around curve to ride up
hill--i am a very powerful rider-i we avoided each other by 15 feet--i
almost crashed into wall to avoid him

i did not see **** and included his white blinking headlight--till much
later

i aways knew recumbants were difficult to see but i never taught i would
almost crash into one.

fwiw

peter

ilaboo aka Peter Lener wrote:
> recumbant bike comming down hill--booking, i coming around curve to ride up
> hill--i am a very powerful rider-i we avoided each other by 15 feet--i
> almost crashed into wall to avoid him

What is a "recumbant" (sic) bike?

Who was riding on the correct side of the roadway?

> i did not see **** and included his white blinking headlight--till much
> later

Recumbent bicycles are made from materials other than fecal matter, so
that would explain not seeing ****.

> i aways knew recumbants were difficult to see but i never taught i would
> almost crash into one.

Who have you been teaching that you would not almost crash into a recumbent?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) Who have you been teaching (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Whom"

On Jan 8, 9:35 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> ilaboo aka Peter Lener wrote:
>
> > recumbant bike comming down hill--booking, i coming around curve to ride up
> > hill--i am a very powerful rider-i we avoided each other by 15 feet--i
> > almost crashed into wall to avoid him

> What is a "recumbant" (sic) bike?
>
> Who was riding on the correct side of the roadway?
>
> > i did not see **** and included his white blinking headlight--till much
> > later

> Recumbent bicycles are made from materials other than fecal matter, so
> that would explain not seeing ****.
>
> > i aways knew recumbants were difficult to see but i never taught i would
> > almost crash into one.

> Who have you been teaching that you would not almost crash into a recumbent?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Evidently this scary encounter compromised his ability to use 'spell
checker'.

Lewis.

*****

ilaboo wrote:
:: recumbant bike comming down hill--booking, i coming around curve to
:: ride up hill--i am a very powerful rider-i we avoided each other by
:: 15 feet--i almost crashed into wall to avoid him
::
:: i did not see **** and included his white blinking headlight--till
:: much later
::
:: i aways knew recumbants were difficult to see but i never taught i
:: would almost crash into one.
::
:: fwiw
::
:: peter

I aways knew that some people on bikes don't pay attention. If he's
booking, then you must have been coming onto the road that he was on...you
should have been looking before going out.

If you didn't see ****, it's because you weren't paying attention...much
like the car driver that may wipe you (or me) out one day on your upright DF
bike...he/she didn't see you.

Or, perhaps you'd like to give a better account of what really happened
rather than making things seem like they were his fault for merely being on
a recumbent. I guess if a dog had been in the road you wouldn't have seen
it either.

jeeze lousie, another wedgie rider staring at his front tire and then
blaming his lack of awareness on somebody else.

On the other hand, this demonstrates that them bike-store blinkies are
next to wrthless... If it doesn't attract a biker's attention what's
it gonna do for a motorist in a carbon-monoxide induced stupor, lulled
to sleep in their comfy chair by the gentle vibrations and their
favorite music? We need aim-able laser head lights that burn enough
to hurt a little. We need little rear-view mirror whistling devices
like thems that they sell fer deer that can't read, only tuned in to
motorist frequency.

DennisTheBald wrote:
:: On the other hand, this demonstrates that them bike-store blinkies
:: are next to wrthless... If it doesn't attract a biker's attention
:: what's it gonna do for a motorist in a carbon-monoxide induced
:: stupor, lulled to sleep in their comfy chair by the gentle
:: vibrations and their favorite music? We need aim-able laser head
:: lights that burn enough to hurt a little. We need little rear-view
:: mirror whistling devices like thems that they sell fer deer that
:: can't read, only tuned in to motorist frequency.

You really would have to burn a hole in someone's head to get them to notice
you if they are looking other than where they should be.

We need aim-able laser head
> :: lights that burn enough to hurt a little. We need little rear-view
> :: mirror whistling devices like thems that they sell fer deer that
> :: can't read, only tuned in to motorist frequency.
>
> You really would have to burn a hole in someone's head to get them to
> notice you if they are looking other than where they should be.

You mean like when you are riding down a major street and some idiot pulls
up on a cross street to your right and looks to the right---only! Never to
the left! And there I am, bearing down on him and yelling "I'm here! Look
this way!"

Okay, I'm screaming that in my head because the idiot has the windows rolled
up, but you know the feeling, I'll bet!

Pat in TX

ok

in the bronx NYC

more detail==recumbant was bike you pedaled with your hands

scene--city island bridge going from mainland to the island--there are
pedestrian paths on both sides of bridge--about 4 feet wide ( maybe less)
.. --both paths on the mainland side expand into 2 lane bike paths--got it

i coming from left hand bike path--it has a rather semi sharp turn and you
have a blind spot where you dont get a good view of anyone coming down the
bridge
the recumbant bike was in essence accupying the entire with of the bridge
pedestrain path--yeah i know you are supposed to not ride on the path (
could this rider have some sort of injury that precludes an upright bike?--i
dont know but it is a factor.

ok now--gabish or cabish

i coming around the the curve the left one) on the mainland -and am faced
with the rcumbant booking down the bridge path--really did not see it--when
i did i pulled over to the right against the wall along the path--literally
crashing into the wall--other bike misses me so close i smell the paint.

i hope this is clear

fwiw

peter

On Jan 9, 8:57 pm, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Okay, I'm screaming that in my head because the idiot has the windows rolled
> up, but you know the feeling, I'll bet!
>
> Pat in TX

Yeah, I know the feeling.

You can buy those air horns that are powered by compressed air stored
in a pumped up 2litter coke bottle... they're pretty loud.
But they have the same problem as hand guns... it's hard to reload
without stopping.

On Jan 10, 6:31 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ok
>
> in the bronx NYC
>
> more detail==recumbant was bike you pedaled with your hands
>
> scene--city island bridge going from mainland to the island--there are
> pedestrian paths on both sides of bridge--about 4 feet wide ( maybe less)
> . --both paths on the mainland side expand into 2 lane bike paths--got it
>
> i coming from left hand bike path--it has a rather semi sharp turn and you
> have a blind spot where you dont get a good view of anyone coming down the
> bridge
> the recumbant bike was in essence accupying the entire with of the bridge
> pedestrain path--yeah i know you are supposed to not ride on the path (
> could this rider have some sort of injury that precludes an upright bike?--i
> dont know but it is a factor.
>
> ok now--gabish or cabish
>
> i coming around the the curve the left one) on the mainland -and am faced
> with the rcumbant booking down the bridge path--really did not see it--when
> i did i pulled over to the right against the wall along the path--literally
> crashing into the wall--other bike misses me so close i smell the paint.
>
> i hope this is clear
>
> fwiw
>
> peter

Yeah, it was pretty clear at the git go. Wedgie riders are second only
to roller-bladers in how much time they spend looking at their feet/
tires. Well, mostly just the "serious" roadies, people on pre-war
Schwinns generally get a pretty good look around, as do most regular
people, doing regular riding on regular bikes rather than powerful
riders out training in the park where kids are playing.

Was this hand-cycle really a bike or a tricked out wheel chair - I
mean were all of it's wheels in line or were there a couple set on
either side of the occupant? This is on a path - a MUP (implicit
15mph limit)? With a blind corner(whoa nelly)? Sounds like the kind
of place where a prudent driver would slow down. Of course, what would
a prudent man be doing in the Bronx anyway, walking his dog perhaps...
I hate that 40' of leash stretched out perpendicular to the path the
most of all - especially when it's a little dog that's gonna get
caught in yer spokes - and since neither the dog nor the walker is
actually on the path it's not until the skinny little cord becomes
visible that you realize what is going on. But no, roller bladers are
still the worst, weaving back and forth. And slippery wooden bridges
covered with goose grease in the rain... dang there are just so many
reasons to slow the hell down when you get off the road and onto the
sidewalk.

Kinda the same patience issue as with motor vehicles on roads only
backwards when you're talking about cycles and peds (or wheel chairs)
on sidewalks. Sometimes traffic makes it so you just can't go as fast
as you'd like to... that doesn't mean that the slower traffic should
be banned. The more power you wield the more responsibility you have
to be careful.

I think we can blame a lot of this attitude that the public right of
way should be exclusive to a single class of user (you know, people
like me) on Ike & the interstate hiway system. It seemed like a good
idea at the time, but it's really hurting us in the long run.

> You can buy those air horns that are powered by compressed air stored
> in a pumped up 2litter coke bottle... they're pretty loud.
> But they have the same problem as hand guns... it's hard to reload
> without stopping.

One time I was attacked by 3 dogs coming from my right, and while I was
groping around for the pepper spray, I found myself in the left lane of
oncoming traffic. This was on a county road, so luckily the woman coming
from the other direction had noticed the commotion and had come to a stop.
It sure made me think, though, of the usefulness of pepper spray. If it's
not instantly there when you need it, you're better off without it.

Pat in TX

> not instantly there when you need it, you're better off without it.
>
> Pat in TX

found that out really early--kept my can right in front of me at all times

hth
peter