Recumbant Trike Computer

Mike Fox

Guest
My bike computer died and I looking for the replacement. Needs to be
wireless and work on 20 inch wheels. Also want altitude/height gained
and reasonable price. Suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

On Dec 26, 11:08 am, Mike Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
> My bike computer died and I looking for the replacement.  Needs to be
> wireless and work on 20 inch wheels.  Also want altitude/height gained
> and reasonable price.  Suggestions?
> Thanks
> Mike

I use a Gramin Geko 301 GPS. I have a few small mounts which sit on
my bikes (and trike) and it works very well. Gives distance, speed,
average speed, time moving, position, altitude, height gain and far
too many other things to list. Also links to a PC if necessary.
Downsides are - 2 AAA battteries last for a ful day only (I use
rechargables so not a major issue) and no cadence thingy.

Other than that - very versatile on and off all the bikes / trikes.

On Dec 30, 9:51 pm, biking-geordie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:08 am, Mike Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My bike computer died and I looking for the replacement.  Needs to be
> > wireless and work on 20 inch wheels.  Also want altitude/height gained
> > and reasonable price.  Suggestions?
> > Thanks
> > Mike

> I use a Gramin Geko 301 GPS.  I have a few small mounts which sit on
> my bikes (and trike) and it works very well.  Gives distance, speed,
> average speed, time moving, position, altitude, height gain and far
> too many other things to list.  Also links to a PC if necessary.
> Downsides are - 2 AAA battteries last for a ful day only (I use
> rechargables so not a major issue) and no cadence thingy.
>
> Other than that - very versatile on and off all the bikes / trikes.

Sorry - that should be a Garmin not a Gramin . .

"biking-geordie" <[email protected]> wrote

> I use a Gramin Geko 301 GPS. [...]
> Downsides are - 2 AAA battteries last for a ful day only (I use
> rechargables so not a major issue) and no cadence thingy.

That and compared to simple cyclometers, GPS-based speed and
distance devices may be somewhat less accurate in mileage
measurements, susceptible to signal loss, and cost more... %^)

Cyclometers can be accurate, reliable, and cheap. And their battery
life is measured in months or years, not hours or days.

I like GPS receivers and use a general purpose mapping GPS when
touring or riding new routes. It is the mapping/routing capabilities,
however, that make it most useful for those purposes for me, not
the speed and distance capabilities.

Jon

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 07:05:46 -0600, "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"biking-geordie" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I use a Gramin Geko 301 GPS. [...]
>> Downsides are - 2 AAA battteries last for a ful day only (I use
>> rechargables so not a major issue) and no cadence thingy.

>That and compared to simple cyclometers, GPS-based speed and
>distance devices may be somewhat less accurate in mileage
>measurements, susceptible to signal loss, and cost more... %^)
>
>Cyclometers can be accurate, reliable, and cheap. And their battery
>life is measured in months or years, not hours or days.
>
>I like GPS receivers and use a general purpose mapping GPS when
>touring or riding new routes. It is the mapping/routing capabilities,
>however, that make it most useful for those purposes for me, not
>the speed and distance capabilities.
>
>Jon

I use a good old El-Cheapo CatEye computer on my trike. Cost...about
20 bucks. If it get stolen the so what. I am not out a ton of money.
Battery life is FAR FAR longer than the "one day" thing you are
reffering to.

I'll stick with a Rand McNally atlas, gas station maps ((where
available)) and my own sense of direction when I travel on back roads.
I believe in this....when riding a bike one is NEVER lost.....they are
simply going a "little out of the way"...........

Usually more fun that way too.

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 07:05:46 -0600, "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>[...]
>>Cyclometers can be accurate, reliable, and cheap. And their battery
>>life is measured in months or years, not hours or days.
>>
>>I like GPS receivers and use a general purpose mapping GPS when
>>touring or riding new routes. It is the mapping/routing capabilities,
>>however, that make it most useful for those purposes for me, not
>>the speed and distance capabilities.

> I use a good old El-Cheapo CatEye computer on my trike. Cost...about
> 20 bucks. If it get stolen the so what. I am not out a ton of money.
> Battery life is FAR FAR longer than the "one day" thing you are
> reffering to.

For me, it's not an either/or. Mapping GPS is an adjunct. All my bikes
have inexpensive cyclometers. I don't my GPS use it for most "regular"
rides. I carry my GPS on a neck strap rather than attached to the bike.

> I'll stick with a Rand McNally atlas, gas station maps ((where
> available)) and my own sense of direction when I travel on back roads.

I find the GPS maps to be at least as and often more accurate and
up-to-date than printed maps. Sometimes, on-line maps such
as at Google, Yahoo, Mapquest, etc., will have more up-to-date
data. GPS map data is available for update only about once a year.
Paper maps are generally updated no more often than that.

One big advantage paper maps have over GPS maps is size. And
vice versa! %^) It's more difficult to get an overall perspective of an
unfamiliar area using a 2 inch screen. Details become unclear or
disappear at higher "zoom" levels. On the other hand, very detailed
maps for enitre regions or countries can be loaded onto small
memory cards.

> I believe in this....when riding a bike one is NEVER lost.....they are
> simply going a "little out of the way"...........
>
> Usually more fun that way too.

Non-deterministic routing certainly can be interesting. %^) And exploring
backroads can be rewarding in many circumstances. But sometimes you
need to get from point A to point B in a specific timeframe. Hard to beat
good maps, compass, cyclometer, GPS, and informed advice for doing
that. For me, it's not either cyclometer or GPS, paper maps or GPS,--
I use some or all in conjunction.

Again, relative to simple cyclometers, the tradeoffs for speed and distance
GPS devices doesn't make them attractive to me. Comparing non-mapping
GPS devices vs cyclometers, the GPSs:

+ require no calibration for speed and distance
+ are not bike specific
+ may log position data for later download
+ may have better displays
- require time to aquire satellite fix and may lose fix
- require more battery power
- are more expensive
- are more complex
- are no more accurate (than a reasonably well calibrated cyclometer)
- are less automatic

Mapping GPS devices have all those pluses and minus, and are even
more expensive! But they do much more than speed and distance.

Jon