Recumbant trikes and quads

Dlf

Guest
I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG, Pedal,
Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a newsgroup
for 2 wheelers only?

If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

"dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
> Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
> newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
>
> If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
> along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
> forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
even if I'm not in the market for one:)

Basically we talk about any human powered vehicle with emphasis on those that place the rider in a
recumbent or semi-recumbent position. Hopefully, some of the fellow newsgroupers will have answers
to your questions.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try Yahoo Groups "power-assist",
lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a photo there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only
reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that they need to be Licensed as Cars in many
countries....Canada won't even allow them across the border unless they are Licensed/Insured as a
car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as a Car, but you cannot legally drive it on
the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the end of the sidewalk....you must pick up your car
in your arms and carry it across the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the
legislation on this, it said the tires cannot touch the road...thus you need to carry your car. With
legislation like this, not too many people will be buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be
good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck to transport it.
-

On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:

>Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
>think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
>even if I'm not in the market for one:)

There are no trike specific newesgroups. There is a mailing list though. You can sign up or read the
archive here:

I don't know of any production 4-wheel 1-person HPVs besides the Rhodes Car. I guess a 4-wheel
vehicle will have both the stability of a tadpole trike (two front wheels) and the cargo capacity of
a delta (two rear wheels). But it also makes the vehicle more complex and heavy. A trike needs
either an automobile-like steering linkage or a non-standard drive system, but a quad will need
both. Also wheels are some of the heaviest components on an HPV so you want as few as possible.

there are a couple of companies making Bent Quads...as Mountain Quads, just cannot rember their web
addresses.
---------------------------------------
"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:
>
> >Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
> >think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
> >even if I'm not in the market for one:)
>
> There are no trike specific newesgroups. There is a mailing list though. You can sign up or read
> the archive here:

> I don't know of any production 4-wheel 1-person HPVs besides the Rhodes Car. I guess a 4-wheel
> vehicle will have both the stability of a tadpole trike (two front wheels) and the cargo capacity
> of a delta (two rear wheels). But it also makes the vehicle more complex and heavy. A trike needs
> either an automobile-like steering linkage or a non-standard drive system, but a quad will need
> both. Also wheels are some of the heaviest components on an HPV so you want as few as possible.
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> there are a couple of companies making Bent Quads...as Mountain Quads, just cannot rember their
> web addresses.
> ---------------------------------------
> "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:7780E18BC8ECBCAC.4F455CAA774EBCFC.4E6397225827E1EC@lp.airnews.net. ..
>> On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:
>>
>> >Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
>> >think it would be a welcome addition here.

http://www.bhsi.org/fourwhel.htm lists a bunch of manufacturers of quads. My favorites are the
Animas and Crank-it Mountain Quad, both fully suspended all terrain vehicles.

rorschandt

"dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
> Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
> newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
>
> If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
> along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
> forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises (usually
cursing prople for not being purists).

A quad is quite welcome! Just pant a lot and swear at hills. ;-) You will not be chastized!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC to be specific) and and
the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement (i think that's the
figure). since the system is electrically boosted and the gas is only to recharge the battery, and
the gas engine is very small (grass trimmer motor) i am exempt on both counts. Also, the fact that
the power assist is not the primary means of propulsion may be where the exception is. I believe
that the overall width may also be a factor for licensing, and mine has a max width of 28". The
Rhodes quad (if I recall correctly) is a huge vehicle, larger than a firefly and (to a degree) for
something that sized, I can see the point about licensing. I do understand that the extra weight is
a factor and I do not expect to be winning any races. Off road quading would indeed be a riot, but
given the design and my limited welding expertise, I would not be in any hurry to test the spine of
the Quad or myself in any regular 'rough stuff'. My quad has no suspension escept for the natural
springiness of the tires, the seat and my buttocks (the reduction of which is part of the point).
the only flex in the entire system is that the front axle can teeter (to compensate for uneven
terrain). A full suspension unit may be on the horizon eventually, but I'd rather get this one done
first and see what I need to alter or change first

Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is interested, i may post a few pics of the project
in progress.

Bear in mind that I am not on your level of cycling, so please be kind. :^}

news:p[email protected]...
> This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try Yahoo Groups "power-assist",
> lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a
photo
> there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that they
> need to be
Licensed
> as Cars in many countries....Canada won't even allow them across the
border
> unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as a
> Car, but you
cannot
> legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the end
of
> the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it across the road to the next
> sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it said the tires cannot touch
> the road...thus you
need
> to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people will be buying PEG-Quads. OTOH
> an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck to transport it.
> -
>
> "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
hybred
> > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2
> > wheels. Is this a newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
> >
> > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before
> > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
the
> > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
have
> > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

Okay The laws may have changed. I ran into the licensing issue when I rode a Quad made in Quebec
back in 1985. It had a 10 Hp. Kohler gasoline engine geared
8:-1:0 and I could get her up to 70 mph. Had a rollbar added. It was essentially all bicycle
parts/wheels...but the Police took a real dim view of it and they referred me to D.O.T.. and they
said it was sooo illegal they couldn't imagine how the Quebec company got away with selling them.
It was Advertized as a Street Use/Recreational use Pedal/Gas cycle...so the D.O.T. ruled it could
only be driven on private property and the company went glug.

When the Kyoto Accord kicks in (Canada), hopefully we'll have the laws changed to allow PEGs. As for
the 80cc thing, stick a 79cc 4 stroker on a Catrike Speed and ya got a Go-Kart.
"dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC
> be specific) and and the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement
> (i think that's the figure). since the system is electrically boosted and the gas is only to
> recharge the battery, and the gas engine is very small (grass trimmer motor) i am exempt on both
> counts. Also, the fact that the power assist is not the primary means of
propulsion
> may be where the exception is. I believe that the overall width may also
be
> a factor for licensing, and mine has a max width of 28". The Rhodes quad (if I recall correctly)
> is a huge vehicle, larger than a firefly and (to a degree) for something that sized, I can see the
> point about licensing. I do understand that the extra weight is a factor and I do not expect to
be
> winning any races. Off road quading would indeed be a riot, but given the design and my limited
> welding expertise, I would not be in any hurry to
test
> the spine of the Quad or myself in any regular 'rough stuff'. My quad has
no
> suspension escept for the natural springiness of the tires, the seat and
my
> buttocks (the reduction of which is part of the point). the only flex in
the
> entire system is that the front axle can teeter (to compensate for uneven terrain). A full
> suspension unit may be on the horizon eventually, but I'd rather
get
> this one done first and see what I need to alter or change first
>

> Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is interested, i may post a few
pics
> of the project in progress.
>
> Bear in mind that I am not on your level of cycling, so please be kind.
:^}

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try
Yahoo
> > Groups "power-assist", lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a
> photo
> > there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that
> > they need to be
> Licensed
> > as Cars in many countries....Canada won't even allow them across the
> border
> > unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as
> > a Car, but you
> cannot
> > legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the
end
> of
> > the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it
across
> > the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it said
> > the tires cannot touch the road...thus you
> need
> > to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people will
be
> > buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck
> > to transport it.

> > -
> >
> > "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
> hybred
> > > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than
> > > 2 wheels. Is this
> > > newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
> > >
> > > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice
before
> > > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
> the
> > > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
> have
> > > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.
> > >

> Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
> think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
> even if I'm not in the market for one:)

Ed's correct- homebuilders are all over the lot. There's a trike-specific maillist on the IHPVA
site: http://www.ihpva.org/mailing_lists/ and a list of manufacturers:
http://www.ihpva.org/SourceGuide/Vehicles/index.html#Trikes . There's a couple quads listed on the
same page at http://www.ihpva.org/SourceGuide/Vehicles/index.html#Unique . Quads aren't seen as
often in the HPV community since they require some sort of suspension or movable frame element to
accomodate bumps and dips. One nicely done quad is the Crank-It: http://www.crank-it.com/

Jeff

Yes this group discusses trikes and homebuilding. Other cites you might check out:

The IHPVA trike list. Several folks there are home builders of trikes. You can subscribe and post,
or post w/o subscribing and just follow the archives:

There are msg boards for both trikes and homebuilders at the "Bent Rider on Line" website:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

"dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
> Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
> newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
>
> If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
> along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
> forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

10 HP? yikes, i can see why that might be required to be licensed. 1/4 hp would move you along
pretty well if geared right. 80mph? i'd be rather concerend about going that speed without a metal
body protecting me from terminal road rash. Quebec is so different from the rest of Canada that it
may as well be another country. it might be the big engine and the quebec laws that were the
problem. the police here don't get out of their cruisers if you run into them. too darned
lazy....oops, i meant busy.

> [...]
> > > unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed
> > > as a Car, but you
> > cannot
> > > legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the
> end
> > of
> > > the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it
> across
> > > the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it
> > > said the tires cannot touch the road...thus
you
> > need
> > > to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people
will
> be
> > > buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need
> > > trailer or pickup truck to transport it.

this

Rob wrote:

> 10 HP? yikes, i can see why that might be required to be licensed. 1/4 > hp would move you along
> pretty well if geared right....

As a point of comparison, Lance Armstrong is putting out about 750 watts (~1 HP [1]) when he attacks
on the final climb of a mountain stage, and around 500 watts average (~2/3 HP) on a medium distance
time trial.

[1] Approximate conversion value

I may pant alot and swear at hills, but a quad rarely get's lain down, and the groin is a lot
happier than if used on the conventional seat that the "normal" cyclists use <grin>

"Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
hybred
> > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2
> > wheels. Is this a newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
> >
> > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before
> > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
the
> > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
have
> > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.
>
> Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
> notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises
> (usually cursing prople for not being purists).
>
> A quad is quite welcome! Just pant a lot and swear at hills. ;-) You will not be chastized!
>
> Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

> Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
> notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises
> (usually cursing prople for not being purists). Chris Jordan

I agree... that's rather a silly outlook. On the other hand, many of these same folks applaud when a
municipality will spend $250K to remove the greenhouse emmisions of 42 autos. (I did, at least.)
That's more than most of us would spend on our bikes.

Sure, power assist isn't a "pure" bike, but if it reduces the need for a car it's a step in the
right direction.

"dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC to be specific) and and
> the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement (i think that's the
> figure). since the system is

I would love to see the information you found. When I searched, about the only info I could find on
assisted bikes in BC was that they can have any number of wheels (bikes) and that the insurance
board could put any restrictions on them that they chose.

In many states "bikes" must have 2 or 3 wheels, a seat and pedals.

I considered a couple makes of 4 wheelers but dropped those thoughts when I learned...

1. They are extremely expensive.
2. They aren't considered a bike in Oregon. (This may make them illegal.)
3. They are very heavy... at least 60 lbs.

I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.

Walter Zorn's calculator suggests that about 800W is required to punt the WhiteHawk streamliner up
to 67.6 mph at Battle Mountain. This is as near as makes no odds the speed that Jan van Eijden
achieved. It also suggests that approximately 380 W - approximately 1/2 hp - are required to
maintain Lars Teutenberg's hour record pace in the same machine.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.

Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike grinning
from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to balance the bike
and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing. But if you take that
requirement AWAY, you immediately feel it, and 100% of your senses/subconscious(?) are free to enjoy
the scenery and feelings of freedom that come over you. The lack of "pucker factor" when approaching
less than ideal riding surfaces just changes everything. Where on a two wheeled bent the rear tire
losing contact and "breaking loose" is a instant and severe pucker reaction, on my trike I spend a
great deal of time TRYING to break the rear tire loose so I can slide around corners like a rear
wheel drive car in snow. Take the fear (even unconscious) out of something and the enjoyment factor
seems to double. JMO

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>> I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.
>
> Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike
> grinning from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to balance
> the bike and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing.

<SNIP>

Well said. I'm likely to put the Haluzak up for sale soon, as it has that "pucker factor" you so
eloquently mentioned. With my particular trike, mild off roading is possible, even where OTHER
trikers have to get off and push. <grin>

rorschandt The weather is almost here, dude.