Recumbant trikes and quads

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dlf, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Dlf

    Dlf Guest

    I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG, Pedal,
    Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a newsgroup
    for 2 wheelers only?

    If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
    along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
    forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

    Tags:

  2. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
    > Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
    > newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    >
    > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
    > along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
    > forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

    Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
    think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
    even if I'm not in the market for one:)

    Basically we talk about any human powered vehicle with emphasis on those that place the rider in a
    recumbent or semi-recumbent position. Hopefully, some of the fellow newsgroupers will have answers
    to your questions.

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  3. This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try Yahoo Groups "power-assist",
    lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a photo there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only
    reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that they need to be Licensed as Cars in many
    countries....Canada won't even allow them across the border unless they are Licensed/Insured as a
    car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as a Car, but you cannot legally drive it on
    the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the end of the sidewalk....you must pick up your car
    in your arms and carry it across the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the
    legislation on this, it said the tires cannot touch the road...thus you need to carry your car. With
    legislation like this, not too many people will be buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be
    good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck to transport it.
    -

  4. On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:

    >Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
    >think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
    >even if I'm not in the market for one:)

    There are no trike specific newesgroups. There is a mailing list though. You can sign up or read the
    archive here:

    I don't know of any production 4-wheel 1-person HPVs besides the Rhodes Car. I guess a 4-wheel
    vehicle will have both the stability of a tadpole trike (two front wheels) and the cargo capacity of
    a delta (two rear wheels). But it also makes the vehicle more complex and heavy. A trike needs
    either an automobile-like steering linkage or a non-standard drive system, but a quad will need
    both. Also wheels are some of the heaviest components on an HPV so you want as few as possible.

  5. there are a couple of companies making Bent Quads...as Mountain Quads, just cannot rember their web
    addresses.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:
    >
    > >Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
    > >think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
    > >even if I'm not in the market for one:)
    >
    > There are no trike specific newesgroups. There is a mailing list though. You can sign up or read
    > the archive here:

    > I don't know of any production 4-wheel 1-person HPVs besides the Rhodes Car. I guess a 4-wheel
    > vehicle will have both the stability of a tadpole trike (two front wheels) and the cargo capacity
    > of a delta (two rear wheels). But it also makes the vehicle more complex and heavy. A trike needs
    > either an automobile-like steering linkage or a non-standard drive system, but a quad will need
    > both. Also wheels are some of the heaviest components on an HPV so you want as few as possible.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > there are a couple of companies making Bent Quads...as Mountain Quads, just cannot rember their
    > web addresses.
    > ---------------------------------------
    > "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]t. ..
    >> On 18 Mar 2003 03:57:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
    >> >think it would be a welcome addition here.

    http://www.bhsi.org/fourwhel.htm lists a bunch of manufacturers of quads. My favorites are the
    Animas and Crank-it Mountain Quad, both fully suspended all terrain vehicles.

    rorschandt

  7. "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
    > Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
    > newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    >
    > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
    > along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
    > forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

    Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
    notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises (usually
    cursing prople for not being purists).

    A quad is quite welcome! Just pant a lot and swear at hills. ;-) You will not be chastized!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  8. Dlf

    Dlf Guest

    That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC to be specific) and and
    the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement (i think that's the
    figure). since the system is electrically boosted and the gas is only to recharge the battery, and
    the gas engine is very small (grass trimmer motor) i am exempt on both counts. Also, the fact that
    the power assist is not the primary means of propulsion may be where the exception is. I believe
    that the overall width may also be a factor for licensing, and mine has a max width of 28". The
    Rhodes quad (if I recall correctly) is a huge vehicle, larger than a firefly and (to a degree) for
    something that sized, I can see the point about licensing. I do understand that the extra weight is
    a factor and I do not expect to be winning any races. Off road quading would indeed be a riot, but
    given the design and my limited welding expertise, I would not be in any hurry to test the spine of
    the Quad or myself in any regular 'rough stuff'. My quad has no suspension escept for the natural
    springiness of the tires, the seat and my buttocks (the reduction of which is part of the point).
    the only flex in the entire system is that the front axle can teeter (to compensate for uneven
    terrain). A full suspension unit may be on the horizon eventually, but I'd rather get this one done
    first and see what I need to alter or change first

    Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is interested, i may post a few pics of the project
    in progress.

    Bear in mind that I am not on your level of cycling, so please be kind. :^}

    news:p[email protected]...
    > This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try Yahoo Groups "power-assist",
    > lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a
    photo
    > there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that they
    > need to be
    Licensed
    > as Cars in many countries....Canada won't even allow them across the
    border
    > unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as a
    > Car, but you
    cannot
    > legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the end
    of
    > the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it across the road to the next
    > sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it said the tires cannot touch
    > the road...thus you
    need
    > to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people will be buying PEG-Quads. OTOH
    > an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck to transport it.
    > -
    >
    > "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
    hybred
    > > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2
    > > wheels. Is this a newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    > >
    > > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before
    > > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
    the
    > > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
    have
    > > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

  9. Okay The laws may have changed. I ran into the licensing issue when I rode a Quad made in Quebec
    back in 1985. It had a 10 Hp. Kohler gasoline engine geared
    8:-1:0 and I could get her up to 70 mph. Had a rollbar added. It was essentially all bicycle
    parts/wheels...but the Police took a real dim view of it and they referred me to D.O.T.. and they
    said it was sooo illegal they couldn't imagine how the Quebec company got away with selling them.
    It was Advertized as a Street Use/Recreational use Pedal/Gas cycle...so the D.O.T. ruled it could
    only be driven on private property and the company went glug.

    When the Kyoto Accord kicks in (Canada), hopefully we'll have the laws changed to allow PEGs. As for
    the 80cc thing, stick a 79cc 4 stroker on a Catrike Speed and ya got a Go-Kart.
    "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC
    > be specific) and and the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement
    > (i think that's the figure). since the system is electrically boosted and the gas is only to
    > recharge the battery, and the gas engine is very small (grass trimmer motor) i am exempt on both
    > counts. Also, the fact that the power assist is not the primary means of
    propulsion
    > may be where the exception is. I believe that the overall width may also
    be
    > a factor for licensing, and mine has a max width of 28". The Rhodes quad (if I recall correctly)
    > is a huge vehicle, larger than a firefly and (to a degree) for something that sized, I can see the
    > point about licensing. I do understand that the extra weight is a factor and I do not expect to
    be
    > winning any races. Off road quading would indeed be a riot, but given the design and my limited
    > welding expertise, I would not be in any hurry to
    test
    > the spine of the Quad or myself in any regular 'rough stuff'. My quad has
    no
    > suspension escept for the natural springiness of the tires, the seat and
    my
    > buttocks (the reduction of which is part of the point). the only flex in
    the
    > entire system is that the front axle can teeter (to compensate for uneven terrain). A full
    > suspension unit may be on the horizon eventually, but I'd rather
    get
    > this one done first and see what I need to alter or change first
    >

    > Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is interested, i may post a few
    pics
    > of the project in progress.
    >
    > Bear in mind that I am not on your level of cycling, so please be kind.
    :^}

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try
    Yahoo
    > > Groups "power-assist", lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a
    > photo
    > > there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that
    > > they need to be
    > Licensed
    > > as Cars in many countries....Canada won't even allow them across the
    > border
    > > unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as
    > > a Car, but you
    > cannot
    > > legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the
    end
    > of
    > > the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it
    across
    > > the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it said
    > > the tires cannot touch the road...thus you
    > need
    > > to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people will
    be
    > > buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck
    > > to transport it.

    > > -
    > >
    > > "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
    > hybred
    > > > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than
    > > > 2 wheels. Is this
    > > > newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    > > >
    > > > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice
    before
    > > > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
    > the
    > > > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
    > have
    > > > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > Trikes are discussed her quite often even though there are trike specific groups. As for quads I
    > think it would be a welcome addition here. I would love to try one of those Rhoades Cars one day
    > even if I'm not in the market for one:)

    Ed's correct- homebuilders are all over the lot. There's a trike-specific maillist on the IHPVA
    site: http://www.ihpva.org/mailing_lists/ and a list of manufacturers:
    http://www.ihpva.org/SourceGuide/Vehicles/index.html#Trikes . There's a couple quads listed on the
    same page at http://www.ihpva.org/SourceGuide/Vehicles/index.html#Unique . Quads aren't seen as
    often in the HPV community since they require some sort of suspension or movable frame element to
    accomodate bumps and dips. One nicely done quad is the Crank-It: http://www.crank-it.com/

    Jeff

  11. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Yes this group discusses trikes and homebuilding. Other cites you might check out:

    The IHPVA trike list. Several folks there are home builders of trikes. You can subscribe and post,
    or post w/o subscribing and just follow the archives:

    There are msg boards for both trikes and homebuilders at the "Bent Rider on Line" website:

    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
    > Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
    > newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    >
    > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
    > along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
    > forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

  12. Rob

    Rob Guest

    10 HP? yikes, i can see why that might be required to be licensed. 1/4 hp would move you along
    pretty well if geared right. 80mph? i'd be rather concerend about going that speed without a metal
    body protecting me from terminal road rash. Quebec is so different from the rest of Canada that it
    may as well be another country. it might be the big engine and the quebec laws that were the
    problem. the police here don't get out of their cruisers if you run into them. too darned
    lazy....oops, i meant busy.

> [...]
    > > > unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed
    > > > as a Car, but you
    > > cannot
    > > > legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the
    > end
    > > of
    > > > the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it
    > across
    > > > the road to the next sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it
    > > > said the tires cannot touch the road...thus
    you
    > > need
    > > > to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people
    will
    > be
    > > > buying PEG-Quads. OTOH an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need
    > > > trailer or pickup truck to transport it.

    this

    > before
    > > the
    > > have

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > 10 HP? yikes, i can see why that might be required to be licensed. 1/4 > hp would move you along
    > pretty well if geared right....

    As a point of comparison, Lance Armstrong is putting out about 750 watts (~1 HP [1]) when he attacks
    on the final climb of a mountain stage, and around 500 watts average (~2/3 HP) on a medium distance
    time trial.

    [1] Approximate conversion value

  14. Dlf

    Dlf Guest

    I may pant alot and swear at hills, but a quad rarely get's lain down, and the groin is a lot
    happier than if used on the conventional seat that the "normal" cyclists use <grin>

    "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
    hybred
    > > drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2
    > > wheels. Is this a newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
    > >
    > > If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before
    > > get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
    the
    > > main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
    have
    > > not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.
    >
    > Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
    > notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises
    > (usually cursing prople for not being purists).
    >
    > A quad is quite welcome! Just pant a lot and swear at hills. ;-) You will not be chastized!
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  15. > Trikes are often mentioned, but if you talk about Sachs, Deore, Hope discs, etc., no one seems to
    > notice. But if you mention Currie motors, os 2-stroke gas motors, a very long thread arises
    > (usually cursing prople for not being purists). Chris Jordan

    I agree... that's rather a silly outlook. On the other hand, many of these same folks applaud when a
    municipality will spend $250K to remove the greenhouse emmisions of 42 autos. (I did, at least.)
    That's more than most of us would spend on our bikes.

    Sure, power assist isn't a "pure" bike, but if it reduces the need for a car it's a step in the
    right direction.

  16. "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > That information about licensing in Canada is strange, I am in Canada (BC to be specific) and and
    > the only restriction is that the gas engine canot be over 80cc displacement (i think that's the
    > figure). since the system is

    I would love to see the information you found. When I searched, about the only info I could find on
    assisted bikes in BC was that they can have any number of wheels (bikes) and that the insurance
    board could put any restrictions on them that they chose.

    In many states "bikes" must have 2 or 3 wheels, a seat and pedals.

    I considered a couple makes of 4 wheelers but dropped those thoughts when I learned...

    1. They are extremely expensive.
    2. They aren't considered a bike in Oregon. (This may make them illegal.)
    3. They are very heavy... at least 60 lbs.

    I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.

  17. Walter Zorn's calculator suggests that about 800W is required to punt the WhiteHawk streamliner up
    to 67.6 mph at Battle Mountain. This is as near as makes no odds the speed that Jan van Eijden
    achieved. It also suggests that approximately 380 W - approximately 1/2 hp - are required to
    maintain Lars Teutenberg's hour record pace in the same machine.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    > I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.

    Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike grinning
    from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to balance the bike
    and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing. But if you take that
    requirement AWAY, you immediately feel it, and 100% of your senses/subconscious(?) are free to enjoy
    the scenery and feelings of freedom that come over you. The lack of "pucker factor" when approaching
    less than ideal riding surfaces just changes everything. Where on a two wheeled bent the rear tire
    losing contact and "breaking loose" is a instant and severe pucker reaction, on my trike I spend a
    great deal of time TRYING to break the rear tire loose so I can slide around corners like a rear
    wheel drive car in snow. Take the fear (even unconscious) out of something and the enjoyment factor
    seems to double. JMO

  19. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.
    >
    > Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike
    > grinning from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to balance
    > the bike and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing.

    <SNIP>

    Well said. I'm likely to put the Haluzak up for sale soon, as it has that "pucker factor" you so
    eloquently mentioned. With my particular trike, mild off roading is possible, even where OTHER
    trikers have to get off and push. <grin>

    rorschandt The weather is almost here, dude.