Recumbant trikes and quads

yeah...the weather is almost here too and now the flooding begins bigtime, soon followed by the
drought. Next up will be the West Nile virus and the Locusts.

I wonder if anyone has done a study that would indicate that riders lower to the ground (bent) are
less likely to die from West Nile. Would think the DF position and the amount of sweat would make DF
riders more prone to being bitten and get snuffed out...hmmm our little insect friends culling the
heard for us, damn my tin foil hat fell off again.
"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

> >> I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.
> >
> > Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike
> > grinning from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to
> > balance the bike and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Well said. I'm likely to put the Haluzak up for sale soon, as it has that "pucker factor" you so
> eloquently mentioned. With my particular trike,
mild
> off roading is possible, even where OTHER trikers have to get off and
push.
> <grin>
>
> rorschandt The weather is almost here, dude.

BTW Rorschandt: my 2nd trike arrives from the welder in 2 days. He emailed me a pic of it and I
thought...oh my gawd this thing is sooo ugly. How could something that looked really good in my mind
and on paper end up looking like THAT and still cost 3X more than what I budgeted for. As a
prototype it is okay I guess...my main concern is getting it properly balanced, so looks are not
that much of an issue right now, A basic trike with a simple rollbar and front crash bumper. Version
2 in the works = Windcheetah meets Dragonflyer with a touch of a Thorax tossed in, 50% Alum. and 40%
4130...10% elastomer and carbon. I really need to win a lottery to do version 2.
"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

> >> I'd love to hear why folks go with trikes and quads. At 35lbs, my bike is heavy enough.
> >
> > Well my trike weighs 33lbs so weight isn't a factor. the reason most folks get off a trike
> > grinning from ear to ear is the FUN factor. I think it has mainly to do with not having to
> > balance the bike and yourself. Balancing "seems" like an effortless and automatic thing.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Well said. I'm likely to put the Haluzak up for sale soon, as it has that "pucker factor" you so
> eloquently mentioned. With my particular trike,
mild
> off roading is possible, even where OTHER trikers have to get off and
push.
> <grin>
>
> rorschandt The weather is almost here, dude.

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
> BTW Rorschandt: my 2nd trike arrives from the welder in 2 days. He emailed me a pic of it and I
> thought...oh my gawd this thing is sooo ugly.

When do we get to see it?

Mikael

I'm surprised that no one has started a business manufacturing Tin Foil hats. It would be one of
those products you can make wild claims about how it keeps the CIA (the other one, not the cooking
school) from messing with your thoughts, keep you safe around microwave signals and hydro
transmission lines. Then again there is a downside re: how would you know the CIA has not financed
this company and the Tin Foil hat actually serves as a information uplink. THEN you spawn a new
company whereby concerned citizens with these hats will send them to you and your (special
equipment) will scan the hat for any CIA tampering and send your hat back to you. Then Another
company will appear saying their scanning equipment is superior and that the 1st scanning company
uses shoddy equipment. THEN another company appears who point out that both scanning companies are
part of the CIA and they merely fined tuned the uplink. THEN the CIA will arrange to fly single
engine planes (painted all black of course) over your house a few times and you'll throw away your
Tin Foil hat...but you'll receive a letter in the mail informing you that a new electronic home and
mobile based device is available to you for the introductory price of only $99.99 per month for 3
months, plus $34.99 shipping & handling and that this device (scrambles) all the Alien and CIA
signals being beamed into you brain from their top secret Black planes....then another company will
pop up claiming the CIA has implanted a device in the device you just paid $334.95 for and their
device (costing $100.00 less) will scramble the signals the 1st device carries. Then you'll be
invited to join a Newsgroup of people just like you who have been forced to do stupid things in life
(like watch Jerry Springer on TV), THEN a new company will offer a herbal remedy to ease the "brain
pain" and then another company will form to De-progam you at their Club-Med style resort.....which
as it happens is owned by the Unification Church and you leave the resort free of CIA controlled
thoughts...but find yourself needing a better paying job to send more $ each pay check to the
Unification Church and THEN you see a photo of the head of the Moonies shaking hands with George
Bush Sr. when he was the Director of the CIA and it all starts to make sense and you run out and buy
a new Tin Foil Hat. Just a rumor U understand.

"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> damn my tin foil hat
> > fell off again. ------------------------------------------------
>
> perhaps you need one of these http://www.shieldworks.com/catalog.html I thought of getting one
> just to see if I could tell the difference... rorschandt

Joshua, A guy I knew in college thought that after the first moon rocks were brought back it was his
job to go "fertilize" them, to start a "new world", every time his refrigerator compressor cycled.
Needless to say, he was a "busy" guy heading to wherever they had *those* rocks, with his, whenever
the fridge needed to cool off the Bud. I don't know why I thought about this except that he was into
foil hats and foil window coverings too. Anyway, I think it was the Prolixin, not the foil hats ,
that prevented his New World Order (PNAC?) bill g

in article [email protected], dlf at [email protected] wrote on 3/18/03 2:24 AM:

> I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with hybred drive system (PEG,
> Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2 wheels. Is this a
> newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
>
> If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before I get too much further
> along in the project? So far, I have constructed the main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear
> forksets for welding. I have not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

Also consider the IHPVA email lists. Trikes, HPV, workbikes, boats, etc

in article [email protected], dlf at [email protected] wrote on
3/18/03 10:30 AM:

> [...]
> is a factor and I do not expect to be winning any races. Off road quading would indeed be a riot,
> but given the design and my limited welding expertise, I would not be in any hurry to test the
> spine of the Quad or myself in any regular 'rough stuff'. My quad has no suspension escept for the
> natural springiness of the tires, the seat and my buttocks (the reduction of which is part of the
> point). the only flex in the entire system is that the front axle can teeter (to compensate for
> uneven terrain). A full suspension unit may be on the horizon eventually, but I'd rather get this
> one done first and see what I need to alter or change first
>

> Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is interested, i may post a few pics of the project in
> progress.
>
> Bear in mind that I am not on your level of cycling, so please be kind. :^}
>
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> This group is not totally thrilled (yet) about non-HPV bents....try Yahoo Groups "power-assist",
>> lots of bent owners from A.R.B.R. and I have a
> photo
>> there of a DF-PEG I put together in 1994. Only reason people shy away from PEG Quads is that they
>> need to be
> Licensed
>> as Cars in many countries....Canada won't even allow them across the
> border
>> unless they are Licensed/Insured as a car. The Rhodes Car (4 wheel cycle) in Canada is listed as
>> a Car, but you
> cannot
>> legally drive it on the road....only on sidewalks. When you reach the end
> of
>> the sidewalk....you must pick up your car in your arms and carry it across the road to the next
>> sidewalk (hernia city). When I looked into the legislation on this, it said the tires cannot
>> touch the road...thus you
> need
>> to carry your car. With legislation like this, not too many people will be buying PEG-Quads. OTOH
>> an Off Road Quad would be good...but you'd need a trailer or pickup truck to transport it.
>> -
>>
>> "dlf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> I am building my own recumbant quad, a one man (or woman) unit with
> hybred
>>> drive system (PEG, Pedal, Electric, Gas) I don't see anyone discussing recumbs with more than 2
>>> wheels. Is this a newsgroup for 2 wheelers only?
>>>
>>> If there are DIYers here, does anyone have any suggestions/advice before
>>> get too much further along in the project? So far, I have constructed
> the
>>> main spine of the quad, and prepped the rear forksets for welding. I
> have
>>> not started the front end yet but I have it planned out.

Where could I see these laws that restrict these uses?