Recumbent / Adventuring Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas Balmer

Page 4 of the Fall 2003 Cyclosource has a nice shot of a loaded Tour Easy with the caption "Riding
in style across America--on a recumbent with fairing". Makes it look darn near normal, from a
publication that is pretty much all about uprights. A really nice photo, too, by Chuck Haney.

Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2

I don't see the the AC publications anymore, but John Schubert was one of the first people to ever
right about modern recumbents. He did a review of the Avatar for _Bicycling_, which at the time, was
not anti-bent either. AC has run occasional articles about recumbents for years AFAIK, and I think
they will put recumbent info in the Cyclesource if people send it in.

They aren't a recumbent organization,but I have never felt that they were consciously ignoring
recumbents or hostile to them, like other publications.

John Riley

[email protected] (Thomas Balmer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Page 4 of the Fall 2003 Cyclosource has a nice shot of a loaded Tour Easy with the caption "Riding
> in style across America--on a recumbent with fairing". Makes it look darn near normal, from a
> publication that is pretty much all about uprights. A really nice photo, too, by Chuck Haney.
>
> Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2

Tom, Adventure Cycling often features recumbents in their magazine. What's good about touring is
that you can do it enjoyably on almost any kind of bike: Speed is not of the essence.

Slow Joe Recumbo

> Page 4 of the Fall 2003 Cyclosource has a nice shot of a loaded Tour Easy with the caption "Riding
> in style across America--on a recumbent with fairing". Makes it look darn near normal, from a
> publication that is pretty much all about uprights. A really nice photo, too, by Chuck Haney.
>

>

It helps that the ERRC's Connie McAyeal held their feet to the fire for ignoring recumbents in their
buyer's guide a couple years back.

I don't think Adventure Cycling is all about uprights- they're all about *bicycle touring*. They've
featured articles about all sorts of bicycles- and they tend to pretty fair about the advantages and
deficiencies of each. Plus, any publication that includes Sheldon Brown as a regular contributor
gets a big thumbs up in my book.

Jeff

[email protected] (john riley) wrote in message
> I don't see the the AC publications anymore, but John Schubert was one of the first people to ever
> right about modern recumbents. He did a review of the Avatar for _Bicycling_, which at the time,
> was not anti-bent either. AC has run occasional articles about recumbents for years AFAIK, and I
> think they will put recumbent info in the Cyclesource if people send it in.
>
> They aren't a recumbent organization,but I have never felt that they were consciously ignoring
> recumbents or hostile to them, like other publications.
>
> John Riley
>
> [email protected] (Thomas Balmer) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Page 4 of the Fall 2003 Cyclosource has a nice shot of a loaded Tour Easy with the caption
> > "Riding in style across America--on a recumbent with fairing". Makes it look darn near normal,
> > from a publication that is pretty much all about uprights. A really nice photo, too, by Chuck
> > Haney.
> >
> > Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2
I'd agree with john. i've been a adventure cycling member for the last year and seen a few pictures
of bents featured but no articles by bent cyclist however. if touring is your interest they are a
good organization bent or straight.

docbent bikeE/GRR

Adventure Cycling is very friendly and receptive toward recumbents; I think moreso than any magazine
that is devoted exclusively to recumbents. John

Sorry; I meant any magazine that is "not" exclusively devoted to recumbents. John

[email protected] (docbent) wrote in message

> I'd agree with john. i've been a adventure cycling member for the last year and seen a few
> pictures of bents featured but no articles by bent cyclist however. ...[...]

I seem to recall an article or two in AC by Chet Rideout about recumbent touring, but that would
have been years ago.

John Riley

Status
Not open for further replies.