recumbent advocacy taken too far (stolen bike; reward)

Kit Wolf

Guest
Hi,

I always let people have a go on my recumbent if they show an interest, but I'm not a true zealot:
someone just nicked my bike and I'm not pleased.

Any recumbent is quite distinctive so I'm hoping someone will notice it. I've also modified it
quite a bit so it's unique - which I hope should be better even than unusual... If you see or hear
of an M5 28/20, 406c Schmidt Dynohub wheel or red LHS Vaude pannier for sale, could you contact me
by emailing:

[email protected] or

0781 333 7036 or

0191 232 6560

There are some pictures of the bike on: www.students.ncl.ac.uk/c.j.l.wolf/2820.html and I'm putting
further details that may help identify it at the bottom of this post.

I'm putting up offers of £120 in local shops for information leading to its return and it only seems
fair to offer the same here.

Thanks,

Kit

This bike was taken from private land - a farm a few miles North of Morpeth (nr. Newcastle upon
Tyne, UK) on Tuesday evening (15/07/2003).

Details:

M5 28/20 - this is a higher-than-usual recumbent with a large 700c rear wheel and a small 406
front wheel.

The frame is red, but the boom is painted white as I had a new front-mech mount welded on, and just
put primer on where it was sandblasted. This makes this particular bike completely unique.

I also painted the seat white - it is plywood, rather than the more common fiberglass / carbon
fiber. The front wheel is a - SON / Schmidt dynamo in Sun CR18 rim*, drilled out to take car-tyre
valves rather than prestas. I built a proprietary switch & voltage limiter, fixed to the bottle
mounts on the LHS of the bike in one of Maplin's finest black boxes. There was also an air zound
fitted, and a Vetta v100 cycle computer (US postal service colours (blue)).

The rear wheel is an aero 36 spoke job; the rim is dark gray, and it has a hyperglide 7
speed cassette.

Also stolen: a Vaude pannier (left) with toolkit - the only nice bits were a park chain tool and a
set of needlenose pliers with red handles, slightly rusty.

If there's still any doubt, I can think up many other distinguishing features... Just drop
me a line.

*98% certain

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:33:49 +0100, "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recumbent is quite distinctive

Even more so in this area Kit. I've only ever seen one bent in Newcastle and that was a home made
one that used to be parked at Newcastle Uni.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. BTW - is it insured?

Pete angeltec co uk

Strange that such a noticiable 'bent has been nicked. Did you know that recently a very distinctive
Trice 'bent was also nicked from your neck of the woods? Could the two crimes be connected? Hope you
get it back.

SW

"Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I always let people have a go on my recumbent if they show an interest, but I'm not a true zealot:
> someone just nicked my bike and I'm not pleased.
>
> Any recumbent is quite distinctive so I'm hoping someone will notice it. I've also modified it
> quite a bit so it's unique - which I hope should be better even than unusual... If you see or hear
> of an M5 28/20, 406c Schmidt Dynohub wheel or red LHS Vaude pannier for sale, could you contact me
> by emailing:
>
> [email protected] or
>
> 0781 333 7036 or
>
> 0191 232 6560
>
> There are some pictures of the bike on: www.students.ncl.ac.uk/c.j.l.wolf/2820.html and I'm
> putting further details that may help identify it at the bottom of this post.
>
> I'm putting up offers of £120 in local shops for information leading to its return and it only
> seems fair to offer the same here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kit
>

> This bike was taken from private land - a farm a few miles North of Morpeth (nr. Newcastle upon
> Tyne, UK) on Tuesday evening (15/07/2003).
>
> Details:
>
> M5 28/20 - this is a higher-than-usual recumbent with a large 700c rear wheel and a small 406
> front wheel.
>
> The frame is red, but the boom is painted white as I had a new front-mech mount welded on, and
> just put primer on where it was sandblasted. This makes this particular bike completely unique.
>
> I also painted the seat white - it is plywood, rather than the more common fiberglass / carbon
> fiber. The front wheel is a - SON / Schmidt dynamo in Sun CR18 rim*, drilled out to take car-tyre
> valves rather than prestas. I built a proprietary switch & voltage limiter, fixed to the bottle
> mounts on the LHS of the bike in one of Maplin's finest black boxes. There was also an air zound
> fitted, and a Vetta v100 cycle computer (US postal service colours (blue)).
>
> The rear wheel is an aero 36 spoke job; the rim is dark gray, and it has a hyperglide 7 speed
> cassette.
>
> Also stolen: a Vaude pannier (left) with toolkit - the only nice bits were a park chain tool and a
> set of needlenose pliers with red handles, slightly rusty.
>
> If there's still any doubt, I can think up many other distinguishing features... Just drop
> me a line.
>
> *98% certain

Steve Watkin wrote
> "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I always let people have a go on my recumbent if they show an interest, but I'm not a true
> > zealot: someone just nicked my bike and I'm not pleased.
> Strange that such a noticiable 'bent has been nicked. Did you know that recently a very
> distinctive Trice 'bent was also nicked from your neck of the woods? Could the two crimes be
> connected? Hope you get it back.

Does seem surprising. I'm afraid that what springs to my mind is that they may have been taken over
to the Netherlands on the ferry, where it would be easier to fence. Maybe you could ask the ferry
company if it's been taken over. It sounds memorable enough.

Apart from that, my commiserations, and the best of luck finding it.

Ambrose

Thanks for suggestions and commiserations...

To answer a few questions in the 1 reply...

> > > I always let people have a go on my recumbent if they show an interest, but I'm not a true
> > > zealot: someone just nicked my bike and I'm not pleased.
> > Strange that such a noticiable 'bent has been nicked. Did you know that recently a very
> > distinctive Trice 'bent was also nicked from your neck of the woods?

I didn't, but with that in mind, I shall go for the expensive lock when I have wheels again...

> > Could the two crimes be connected?

I doubt it - it could make sense had my bike been taken from outside my house or department, where
lots of people see it every day. But it was lifted from farmland that had no public rights of way
nearby (I had permission) and where I go quite rarely. Apparently the local scallies sometimes use
the lanes as short cuts.

> > Hope you get it back.
> >
> Does seem surprising. I'm afraid that what springs to my mind is that they may have been taken
> over to the Netherlands on the ferry, where it would be easier to fence. Maybe you could ask the
> ferry company if it's been taken over. It sounds memorable enough.

I shall put them on my list.

My first theory was that they would have taken it a few yards down the track, worked out how to get
the QR pannier off, then lobbed it into a ditch, but we couldn't find it anywhere. Or that they
could have taken it expecting a reward to be offered (look what we found in a hedge... One reason I
asked the police before offering one - I thought they might disapprove). Or that they actually want
it for themselves, but will wait a while before riding it anywhere - if they have any sense.

> Apart from that, my commiserations, and the best of luck finding it.

Ta.

The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only locked
to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear nobody's a winner,
but it does lighten the blow.

Kit

"Kit Wolf" wrote
> The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only
> locked to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear nobody's
> a winner, but it does lighten the blow.

Sorry to hear of the loss - a bit of a blow after you seemed to come so well out of the accident you
reported the other week. Glad to know that the insurance will at least cover some of your loss, I
had not even bothered insuring it when the M5 was mine as I had never anticipated it being stolen!

Jim

On 19 Jul 2003 23:59:00 -0700, Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
> The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only
> locked to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear nobody's
> a winner, but it does lighten the blow.

What insurance company? Everywhere I have tried to insure a bike insist that it is insured for
it's full new replacement value even when I only want to insure it for the price I paid for it
second hand.

Regards,

Tim.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Tim Woodall wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2003 23:59:00 -0700, Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only
> > locked to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear
> > nobody's a winner, but it does lighten the blow.
> >
> What insurance company? Everywhere I have tried to insure a bike insist that it is insured for
> it's full new replacement value even when I only want to insure it for the price I paid for it
> second hand.

It was on the house insurance; this wouldn't have covered it against crash damage which I always
thought was the more likely scenario. It may have covered it against vandalism which seems to happen
a lot in Newcastle. But at the end of the day you can build 2 wheels and pay for some minor
frame-repair each year for the annual cost of any insurance policy I've ever seen - for a bike that
would cost as much as this one would, new.

It's all worked out reasonably well for me this time, but I don't know if I would recommend it as
the way to go.

KW

"James Cheney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kit Wolf" wrote
> > The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only
> > locked to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear
> > nobody's a winner, but it does lighten the blow.
>
> Sorry to hear of the loss - a bit of a blow after you seemed to come so well out of the accident
> you reported the other week. Glad to know that the insurance will at least cover some of your
> loss, I had not even bothered insuring it when the M5 was mine as I had never anticipated it
> being stolen!

I did once overhear "cost 3000, those things do..." as I whizzed past. Thankfully an exaggeration...

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:52:13 +0100, Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Tim Woodall wrote:
>
>> On 19 Jul 2003 23:59:00 -0700, Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > The insurance company have told me I'm covered - initially I wasn't sure as the bike was only
>> > locked to itsself. By the time they've taken some money off for the excess + wear & tear
>> > nobody's a winner, but it does lighten the blow.
>> >
>> What insurance company? Everywhere I have tried to insure a bike insist that it is insured for
>> it's full new replacement value even when I only want to insure it for the price I paid for it
>> second hand.
>
> It was on the house insurance; this wouldn't have covered it against crash damage which I always
> thought was the more likely scenario. It may have covered it against vandalism which seems to
> happen a lot in Newcastle. But at the end of the day you can build 2 wheels and pay for some minor
> frame-repair each year for the annual cost of any insurance policy I've ever seen - for a bike
> that would cost as much as this one would, new.
>
> It's all worked out reasonably well for me this time, but I don't know if I would recommend it as
> the way to go.

Even my house insurance insists on "New for old." Fortunately they will automatically cover the
windcheetah while it is in the house (or a shed
- I checked very carefully) but they won't touch it once it is out as it's new value is greater than
the maximum 2500GBP. And given that the cheapest insurance I could find was about 350GBP for
something that is worth 1-1.5k (second hand) I couldn't see the point in insuring it.

Tim.