Recumbent bikes off-road?

George Cherry

Guest
I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
or very rough, but still not pavement)? I live in
Southern Maine, but I make it to Boston about
once a month. Any good bike stores in Boston or
Cambridge? How about Portland, Maine? I would
greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.

George W. Cherry

In article <[email protected]>,
"George Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
> or very rough, but still not pavement)?

George:

I've done a bit of riding on dirt roads and trails on my Gold Rush. All
but the last of these are on the San Francisco Peninsula.

Stevens Canyon
Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk

South Butano
Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/br4cs
Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/bg6a7

Montara Mountain
Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/5kp9c

Black Mountain
Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/3wyt6

Bolinas Ridge, Marin County
Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/4lkk6

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

George Cherry wrote:
> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
> or very rough, but still not pavement)?

Depends on the bike. An out and out lowracer with smooth skinny tyres
wouldn't be exactly best suited to the job, but anything remotely
touring or general purpose oriented should do fine. My Streetmachine GT
often takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any particular difficulty,
and my gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has managed pretty boggy
disused rail lines and woodland trails while fully laden for touring
without any obvious grief.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> My Streetmachine GT
> often takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any particular difficulty,
> and my gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has managed pretty boggy
> disused rail lines and woodland trails while fully laden for touring
> without any obvious grief.

Not even from Roos?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Peter Clinch wrote:
> My Streetmachine GT
> often takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any particular difficulty,
> and my gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has managed pretty boggy
> disused rail lines and woodland trails while fully laden for touring
> without any obvious grief.

Not even from Roos?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Peter Clinch wrote:
>
>> My Streetmachine GT often takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any
>> particular difficulty, and my gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has
>> managed pretty boggy disused rail lines and woodland trails while
>> fully laden for touring without any obvious grief.

> Not even from Roos?

Especially not from Roos...

She's bigger and tougher than me, I'm not going to do anything to upset
her...

Pete.
--

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

>Peter Clinch wrote:
>> My Streetmachine GT
>> often takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any particular difficulty,
>> and my gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has managed pretty boggy
>> disused rail lines and woodland trails while fully laden for touring
>> without any obvious grief.
>>

>Not even from Roos?

I'm usually the one hogging the map so if the route choice is a bit
unfortunate it's my fault. Not that it stops me blaming Pete of course :)

The main grief on that boggy route was when I grinded to a halt, and put
my foot down for balance in the middle of a big slimey ditch wearing
sandals....

Did Pete mention suspension in his earlier post? I was surprised how well
that worked going downhill on a rocky trail.

Roos

"Bill Bushnell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Stevens Canyon
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk
>
> South Butano
> Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/br4cs
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/bg6a7
>
> Montara Mountain
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/5kp9c
>
> Black Mountain
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/3wyt6
>
> Bolinas Ridge, Marin County
> Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/4lkk6

Great photos, Bill.

I'm curious about that piece of cloth draped over the recumbent. I believe
it's used to prevent wind drag. Does it work?

If it does, I'm going to satisfy my daughter and search for a pink polka dot
one.

Cully_J

"Bill Bushnell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "George Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
>> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
>> or very rough, but still not pavement)?

> George:
>
> I've done a bit of riding on dirt roads and trails on my Gold Rush. All
> but the last of these are on the San Francisco Peninsula.
>
> Stevens Canyon
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk
>
> South Butano
> Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/br4cs
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/bg6a7
>
> Montara Mountain
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/5kp9c
>
> Black Mountain
> Picture album: http://tinyurl.com/3wyt6
>
> Bolinas Ridge, Marin County
> Ride story: http://tinyurl.com/4lkk6

Thanks. The pictures "are worth a thousand words".
The trails you ride are quite a bit more level and smooth
than the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuges I have in mind
here in Maine. And you appear to be about half my age,
so I'm skeptical I could trike on my trails.

George

> George Cherry wrote:
>> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
>> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
>> or very rough, but still not pavement)?

> Depends on the bike. An out and out lowracer with smooth skinny tyres
> wouldn't be exactly best suited to the job, but anything remotely touring
> or general purpose oriented should do fine. My Streetmachine GT often
> takes on unpaved trails and hasn't had any particular difficulty, and my
> gf's lower and sportier Nazca Fiero has managed pretty boggy disused rail
> lines and woodland trails while fully laden for touring without any
> obvious grief.

Duly noted. Thanks.

George

George Cherry wrote:
> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
> or very rough, but still not pavement)? I live in
> Southern Maine, but I make it to Boston about
> once a month. Any good bike stores in Boston or
> Cambridge? How about Portland, Maine? I would
> greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.
>
> George W. Cherry

Hi George

If you are near Boston, stop in and see Scott Chamberlain at
Belmont Wheelworks. I'd give them a call first to make sure Scott will
be there, he is the man when it comes to bents at Wheelworks.

A truly amazing relatively small store, with over 60 employees
the last I checked!

www.wheelworks.com

Rich Pinto
Bacchetta Bicycles

"Mr Reality" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> George Cherry wrote:
>> I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
>> hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
>> or very rough, but still not pavement)? I live in
>> Southern Maine, but I make it to Boston about
>> once a month. Any good bike stores in Boston or
>> Cambridge? How about Portland, Maine? I would
>> greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.
>>
>> George W. Cherry

> Hi George
>
> If you are near Boston, stop in and see Scott Chamberlain at
> Belmont Wheelworks. I'd give them a call first to make sure Scott will
> be there, he is the man when it comes to bents at Wheelworks.
>
> A truly amazing relatively small store, with over 60 employees
> the last I checked!
>
> www.wheelworks.com
>

> Rich Pinto
> Bacchetta Bicycles

Ahhh, thanks very much.

George

In article <[email protected]>,
"George Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks. The pictures "are worth a thousand words".
> The trails you ride are quite a bit more level and smooth
> than the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuges I have in mind
> here in Maine. And you appear to be about half my age,
> so I'm skeptical I could trike on my trails.

George:

The trails I ride are usually evenly graded singletrack or fire trails
(not trials trails), but nearly all of them have short to moderate
length sections of 20-25% grade that make for a traction challenge when
climbing uphill. I usually plan my rides to descend the steepest stuff.
The sense of steepness doesn't transfer easily to a photograph.

A trail with obstacles will be easier to negotiate on a single-track
vehicle (such as a bike) than a triple-track vehicle like a trike.
Unless the trike is rear-heavy (or can be made so by leaning back), its
rear wheel will spin out easily on steep, loose uphills. Btw, I run
slick tires on my bikes since I spend most of my time riding on pavement.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm curious about that piece of cloth draped over the recumbent. I believe
> it's used to prevent wind drag. Does it work?

Cully_J:

The primary function of the body sock is to reduce wind drag. It
becomes most useful in the 15-35 mph range, good for about 10% reduction
of drag. Slower than 15 mph it doesn't help as much, but it still keeps
me warm in the cold and protected from the direct sun when it's hot.
Faster than about 35-40 mph and the sock starts fluttering along the
free edge and loses its efficiency. That's why my typical maximum
speeds (50's mph) with the sock are not much greater than I get when
tucked in on an upright bike. But because I spend most of my time
riding between 15 and 35 mph, I enjoy the drag reduction most of the
time.

> If it does, I'm going to satisfy my daughter and search for a pink polka dot
> one.

The sock needs to be fitted to the bike. Melanie at Freeform Fashions
(831-429-5044) has created body socks for different bikes and fairings
and can make them using a variety of plain or patterned lycra.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

Sorry to get into this late, but I haven't been lurking as much as usual,
due to the lack of recumbent bike info in ARBR. Go figure.

Anyway, I have done plenty of off-road work on my Haluzak Traverse: USS,
front and rear suspension. Bought it for that purpose in 1998 when I lived
at the old Fort Ord in California, with miles and miles of offroad trails
through the old training areas (which had been demilitarized, so no
unexploded ordnance).

Does single track fine. Obviously, bunny hopping over ruts or stumps is not
a possibility, and I occasionally had some trouble in deep sand, but the
Traverse has served me well to this day.

Haluzak only made about 30 Traverses, I think. Have been out of production
for a while, and, no, mine is not for sale.

Bullwinkle: no longer in CA.

On 11/16/05 11:40 PM, in article
[email protected], "Bill Bushnell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm curious about that piece of cloth draped over the recumbent. I believe
>> it's used to prevent wind drag. Does it work?

> Cully_J:
>
> The primary function of the body sock is to reduce wind drag. It
> becomes most useful in the 15-35 mph range, good for about 10% reduction
> of drag. Slower than 15 mph it doesn't help as much, but it still keeps
> me warm in the cold and protected from the direct sun when it's hot.
> Faster than about 35-40 mph and the sock starts fluttering along the
> free edge and loses its efficiency. That's why my typical maximum
> speeds (50's mph) with the sock are not much greater than I get when
> tucked in on an upright bike. But because I spend most of my time
> riding between 15 and 35 mph, I enjoy the drag reduction most of the
> time.
>
>> If it does, I'm going to satisfy my daughter and search for a pink polka dot
>> one.

> The sock needs to be fitted to the bike. Melanie at Freeform Fashions
> (831-429-5044) has created body socks for different bikes and fairings
> and can make them using a variety of plain or patterned lycra.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:37:13 -0700, Bullwinkle <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sorry to get into this late, but I haven't been lurking as much as usual,
>due to the lack of recumbent bike info in ARBR. Go figure.
>
>Anyway, I have done plenty of off-road work on my Haluzak Traverse: USS,
>front and rear suspension. Bought it for that purpose in 1998 when I lived
>at the old Fort Ord in California, with miles and miles of offroad trails
>through the old training areas (which had been demilitarized, so no
>unexploded ordnance).
>
>Does single track fine. Obviously, bunny hopping over ruts or stumps is not
>a possibility, and I occasionally had some trouble in deep sand, but the
>Traverse has served me well to this day.
>
>Haluzak only made about 30 Traverses, I think. Have been out of production
>for a while, and, no, mine is not for sale.
>
>Bullwinkle: no longer in CA.

------------------------

And now you live in one of the best US cycling cities, and I have not
seen you once on the streets/trails this year during my 8000 miles.

See ya on the Front Range Trail.

RollenSmoothe,
on the Blue Horizon

formerly at DLIWC, across the bay from Ft Ord

On 11/25/05 10:21 PM, in article [email protected],

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:37:13 -0700, Bullwinkle <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to get into this late, but I haven't been lurking as much as usual,
>> due to the lack of recumbent bike info in ARBR. Go figure.
>>
>> Anyway, I have done plenty of off-road work on my Haluzak Traverse: USS,
>> front and rear suspension. Bought it for that purpose in 1998 when I lived
>> at the old Fort Ord in California, with miles and miles of offroad trails
>> through the old training areas (which had been demilitarized, so no
>> unexploded ordnance).
>>
>> Does single track fine. Obviously, bunny hopping over ruts or stumps is not
>> a possibility, and I occasionally had some trouble in deep sand, but the
>> Traverse has served me well to this day.
>>
>> Haluzak only made about 30 Traverses, I think. Have been out of production
>> for a while, and, no, mine is not for sale.
>>
>> Bullwinkle: no longer in CA.
>>

> ------------------------
>
> And now you live in one of the best US cycling cities, and I have not
> seen you once on the streets/trails this year during my 8000 miles.
>
> See ya on the Front Range Trail.
>
> RollenSmoothe,
> on the Blue Horizon
>
> formerly at DLIWC, across the bay from Ft Ord

RollenSmoothe,

You're absolutely right: an injury plus other obligations kept me off the
Traverse for the 2005 season, but I fully expect that once spring 2006
arrives I'll be back on the superb bike trails of Our Fair City, here on the
Front Range. They're simply too good to miss.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Blue Horizon.

By the way, I know all about DLI, but am having trouble with the "WC" part:
please enlighten me. Don't know when you were last there, but the last time
I was, they had closed off the DLI, with only a couple of ways in or out,
like all other military bases post-9/11. And if you remember how open the
place was, that was a real chore (and shame) to close it off.

Bullwinkle

On 11/26/05 7:32 AM, in article [email protected],

> West Coast

Ah! Got it. When I was there they never called themselves that, they were
just the DlI, and grudgingly acknowledged that they had some remote sites.

Thanks for answering that: I've been racking my brain on what WC meant.
Water closet? Worker's Compensation?

Bullwinkle

"Bullwinkle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BFADD4B6.141A0%[email protected]...
> On 11/26/05 7:32 AM, in article
> [email protected],
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> West Coast
>>

> Ah! Got it. When I was there they never called themselves that, they were
> just the DlI, and grudgingly acknowledged that they had some remote sites.
>
> Thanks for answering that: I've been racking my brain on what WC meant.
> Water closet? Worker's Compensation?
>
> Bullwinkle

Wind Cheetah?