Recumbent bikes

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by grayghost001, Mar 23, 2005.

1. grayghost001

grayghost001 New Member

How many of you have these recumbant bikes and are they as good as I hear? I've been thinking of getting one but it's a big step in the cycling mode of life.

I have two Cannondale's now. A road bike and a mountian bike. Sure would like to get the recumbant cannondale. $$$$ Nice bike though.

Tags:

2. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

Neatest thing since sliced bread...

A warning though- once you join the recumbent "team", you're unlikely to go back. As you ride around on your recumbent you'll be thinking of all the things that don't hurt anymore, and you'll wonder why you didn't switch years ago.

You'll get a lot of flak here for talking about defecting to the "other team". Head over to bent rider on-line http://www.bentrideronline.com/ and check out the message board. It has completely replaced the unmoderated, head-case dominated alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent news group as the place to go for recumbent info.

TD

3. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

Althought the Cannondale recumbent is a nice bike in its own way, and has lots of loyal owners; it's the recumbent equivalent of a hybrid. Depending on what you're looking for in a bike, that may or may not be a Good Thing(tm). I agree with Tyler, go to the Bentrideronline forums if you're really interested in learning more about bents.

4. grayghost001

grayghost001 New Member

blazingpedals and tyler_derden,

Thank you both for your answers and outlook on the recumbents. I really appreciate the info and will check out the other site.

You guys are welcome to visit my site and register and help get it going if you like. Thanks again.. :)

5. Kona_Blue

Kona_Blue New Member

I regularly see a recumbent rider flying past our peleton and everyone comments on his speed, how low to the ground he is and how they expect to round the corner and see him UNDER a car through lack of visibility. Cyclists are damn near invisible to many drivers, this guy is even less so. Something to consider.
    I must say idiot drivers aside, it does look pretty cool.

6. Catrike #116

Catrike #116 New Member

I own a recumbent Catrike Road.

Why:

1. You do not have to put your feet down at a red traffic light.
    2. You can eat and drink while riding.
    3. You can ride longer distances with less arm and buttock pain.
    4. You get more hand wavers.
    5. You always have a place to sit.

Catrike Road #116

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

7. Kona_Blue

Kona_Blue New Member

To those who are not yet converted, is there a difference in terminology between the 2 and 3 wheeler varieties ?

8. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

2 wheelers are just "recumbents".

3 wheelers are "recumbent trikes" or usually just "trikes". The trikes that have two wheels in front and one in rear are called "tadpoles".

TD